Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sapphire blue with red & black interior??? Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 09:50 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Wow. So harsh and about other people's money to boot. If you're buying it for him, get whatever you think looks great. Otherwise, let the man get and enjoy what he likes. Geez.
Uh, perhaps you missed the fact that he asked for opinions. He's not crying about the answers to his question. Why should you?
Old 10-30-2016, 10:35 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

. I'm paying the absurd price for white dials in my Targa so I can read the tachometer in all conditions.
If you are one of the 99% getting a PDK, it's no big deal. But the dark dials are almost unreadable in bright light if you're a dinosaur that wants a MT.
My experience was almost the exact opposite. I always had dark traditional dials on manual 911s till getting white dials on a Turbo. Found out I couldn't read the white dials nearly as well as I had the dark ones (in daylight.) Hope yours are working out better.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:57 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by babyjocko
Uh, perhaps you missed the fact that he asked for opinions. He's not crying about the answers to his question. Why should you?
True. I tuned in late.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:59 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
My experience was almost the exact opposite. I always had dark traditional dials on manual 911s till getting white dials on a Turbo. Found out I couldn't read the white dials nearly as well as I had the dark ones (in daylight.) Hope yours are working out better.
That's disturbing. The dials on my '13 BS were black (I think) and I could not see the tach if the sun was shining on the dash. At all.
Now I'm confused a bit.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:47 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

That's disturbing. The dials on my '13 BS were black (I think) and I could not see the tach if the sun was shining on the dash. At all.
Now I'm confused a bit.
Well, to be fair, my Turbo was 997 and the instrument lighting was very different than 991.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:24 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
My qualifications for this post are that I am a clothing designer and color is my speciality.
Reference my facebook page. Lots of color...
www.facebook.com/thebradleyscott

Sapphire Blue does not match Graphite Blue / Chalk by any means. It is a complete eye jarring mismatch.

Graphite Blue / Chalk goes with Graphite Blue Metallic Paint. You can't have two different blues in the same car.

Would be like wearing denim jeans from one brand and a denim jacket from another where the colors don't add up at all.

Just my humble color opinion.

Sapphire Blue and Night Blue in my opinion go back to Red/Black very nicely.

Many nautical lines from Spring Collection designers have These colors incorporated. They tend to look rather waspy - Tommy Hilfiger, Polo RL, etc.

Reference:
PM'd you, Bradley. There's a car at the Auto Gallery in LA I'm hoping you'll comment on, a night blue manual Cab with the graphite/chalk interior.
Mike
Old 10-31-2016, 11:46 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Well, to be fair, my Turbo was 997 and the instrument lighting was very different than 991.
I'm concerned enough I'm starting a thread on it. My '13 Boxster S was so bad in bright light, I learned to shift by speed and sound. Thanks for bringing it up. It's galling to pay over $1200 for colored dials.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:31 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by Selo
PM'd you, Bradley. There's a car at the Auto Gallery in LA I'm hoping you'll comment on, a night blue manual Cab with the graphite/chalk interior.
Mike
So I looked at the vehicle you mentioned, I will keep the link to the vehicle private in our PMs in case you didn't want anyone else to see it. I originally told you that I thought it looked great - I wanted to take a more detailed look.
One thing that caught my eye - When you look at the fabric top in the retracted position (open top) and see the graphite blue against the Night Blue - its just does not blend well. Please see attached image as a reference. You can see - they should not be side by side.

Ultimately, I would want to see the car in person to make that judgement. Have you any way to go see it before purchasing?

I made this in the configuration on 360 for you to see. In this photo - it looks very nice. I am concerned about the Graphite Blue matching with the Night Blue. At his price (unmentioned) - I would imagine you want everything to be perfect.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:33 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by Selo
Mike
So I looked at the vehicle you mentioned, I will keep the link to the vehicle private in our PMs in case you didn't want anyone else to see it. I originally told you that I thought it looked great - I wanted to take a more detailed look.
One thing that caught my eye - When you look at the fabric top in the retracted position (open top) and see the graphite blue against the Night Blue - its just does not blend well. Please see attached image as a reference. You can see - they should not be side by side.

Ultimately, I would want to see the car in person to make that judgement. Have you any way to go see it before purchasing?

I made this in the configuration on 360 for you to see. In this photo - it looks very nice. I am concerned about the Graphite Blue matching with the Night Blue. At his price (unmentioned) - I would imagine you want everything to be perfect.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:24 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeffdehr
Thank you for the valuable input. You may not hear from me for some time, I am on my way to a psychiatrist to get my brain corrected.

Bradley Scott - I'll share the doctor's name as you too will need your brain adjusted as soon as you take delivery of your car!
I love the Sapphire blue w Bordeaux/ black interior it has that youthful feel followed by its classic line. A true beauty. I had my brain adjusted so I could order it but as a 4S cab
Old 11-01-2016, 09:39 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Joenyc
I love the Sapphire blue w Bordeaux/ black interior it has that youthful feel followed by its classic line. A true beauty. I had my brain adjusted so I could order it but as a 4S cab
I've given this a lot of thought, as this color combo has been discussed for many months here. Both the Sapphire Blue and the Bordeaux / Black colors are statement colors, and I'd be hesitant to put two "statement colors" together for a combo. I'd prioritize which "statement" color is more important to me, then find a complementing exterior or interior color that is more subdued.

The risk of going with two "statement" colors, is that upon delivery, it may look sharp, but a few months down the line the buyer may feel different -- then it's too late. It's a risky scheme, unless buyer is 100% sure of his / her decision.

Last edited by philg3; 11-01-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:19 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

^^ This was my exact reasoning when i ordered last year. I loved Carmine, and I loved the Black/Garnet combo. That was the hardest part of my options decision, but in the end I knew I loved GT Silver (had owned it before) and I was in love with the red interior (never had one before), so I went that direction. But the one thing I knew wasn't possible for me was to get a flashy interior AND exterior, even if they may have gone well together on a color chart. (And I'm not saying Carmine and Garnet would have been the loud combo I considered. Under ANY definition of color combinations that would be horrible. Just that for me, red ONLY goes with black and I was just coming out of a Silver/Black Turbo and didn't want black interior again.)
Old 11-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Simonl72
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, my question really opened up a can of worms!!! Some very differing opinions on this one. Still, I have ordered it and think it will look great, the black dash will make all of the difference, I would not have done it if it was all red.

I have even changed the mind of my sales guy at the main dealer who now likes it. Or he's a good actor. March 17 for delivery. Enjoying the 991 GTS until then.

Simon
Old 11-01-2016, 08:50 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Simonl72
Wow, my question really opened up a can of worms!!! Some very differing opinions on this one. Still, I have ordered it and think it will look great, the black dash will make all of the difference, I would not have done it if it was all red.

I have even changed the mind of my sales guy at the main dealer who now likes it. Or he's a good actor. March 17 for delivery. Enjoying the 991 GTS until then.

Simon
The good news is build won't be locked for some time. There's plenty of time to reflect on the build, and make changes, if desired. Good luck.

BTW, saw a GT Silver with Black / Bordeaux today -- very sharp.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:02 AM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

Spent silly amount of time at dealership this morning for a repair, had time to waste thought I'd post some pics of controversial color combo. Love the sapphire blue. I would argue that the combination works because the Bordeaux is quite dark in shade. Purely a matter of personal preference but I do like the colors together. Full disclosure: I'm literally color-blind.

Also took some with my fave interior color expresso/cognac wondering it it worked with the blue. No idea.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 11-03-2016 at 02:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Sapphire blue with red & black interior??? Help!!!