Notices

Winter tire options

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 10:45 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by JayinToronto
.... I've never heard of this being a problem. But I guess if you drive your car so infrequently that you keep the same set of tires for years and years then yea, could be an issue.

Brother used to snow tire his 944T with the same rims. On/off on/off every year. One year, two of the snow tires broke the bead on the tire. The bead has a cable in it. Stretching the tire on and off every year. It gave way. They can break.
Have you ever seen 3 men wrestling a 35 series tire over a 19" rim? And the pop as it makes on the bead.
It's also the time for me. I can change out my summers to winters in 20 minutes. One car to the dealer or shop, is 3 hours wait or travel time. Shop price is $125 each time, twice a year. Four years is $1k. About the price of a set of knock off mag wheels. Pretty and not ghetto.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:10 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

My buddy takes his car to the local Q lube to swap out the winter rims/tire combo he has. $25 and a few minutes is all it takes and they use a toque wrench. I do all my own swap but something like this is a good economical option as opposed to the BS you have to put up with at the dealer.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:47 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

We have non OEM mag wheels for my wife's q7 for her winter tires, They are getting corroded due to winter salt... Anyone DIY refinish them?

They are a knock off turbo twist wheel with 3 audi center caps and 1 plain one.. silver...

My VW also came with winters mounted on OEM wheels.... being a 2006, these wheels are pretty beat up.... They are the machined oem wheels... maybe a dark metallic grey would look ok?

Old 11-02-2016, 12:44 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts

I just Plasti dipped my winters black with a silver metallic finish. See the "what did you do to you Porsche today" thread

I am sure they will scuff up if u hit something but look good at the moment!!
Old 11-07-2016, 11:00 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Brother used to snow tire his 944T with the same rims. On/off on/off every year. One year, two of the snow tires broke the bead on the tire. The bead has a cable in it. Stretching the tire on and off every year. It gave way. They can break.
Have you ever seen 3 men wrestling a 35 series tire over a 19" rim? And the pop as it makes on the bead.
It's also the time for me. I can change out my summers to winters in 20 minutes. One car to the dealer or shop, is 3 hours wait or travel time. Shop price is $125 each time, twice a year. Four years is $1k. About the price of a set of knock off mag wheels. Pretty and not ghetto.
my feelings exactly . Way cheaper to just put tires on bought rims than pay to keep having them changed over. Then you can even change back in your driveway if you got it wrong and we hit an indian summer ( not sure of that was PC or not ).

( do we actually call it an indigenous people summer ? )
Old 11-07-2016, 10:12 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

You could save some time doing it the redneck way.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:42 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

^ what you don't see is that the air in the tire cools/shrinks a few seconds later and the tire comes off the rim again.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:08 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

- On my newer cars with factory warranty, I buy the same size rim. Switch the snows onto the factory, put the summers on the new mag. Any winter rim corrosion issues have to dealt with by the dealer. That has worked twice for me.

-Snow tires on your DD. Make sure you check with your insurance provider for your snow tire discount. Up to 5% off/reduction. Do note there could be some date restrictions. November to april???

-I was helping a buddy change over to his snows last weekend. His old audi S5 winter rims DO NOT fit on his RS5. The tire rack site shows they do.
If anybody needs a set of 0000/VW 18" snows? They have reasonable tread and a nice rim. Some curb attacks. Fair pricing. PM me for his contact info.
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2016, 06:29 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
I just Plasti dipped my winters black with a silver metallic finish.

I am sure they will scuff up if u hit something but look good at the moment!!
Here they are mounted with the spacers I got for them - flush like my summers
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Winter tire options