Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

PCA Concours College

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 10:02 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCA Concours College

I recently decided that I had to learn about judging Porsches. The Miami region of PCA sponsors a Concours College that helps get novices into the correct mode.

Here's the story of my adventure.

Richard Newton
Old 10-26-2016, 07:20 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 70 Posts

^ thank you, will you be telling us more, e.g., the point deduction system?
Old 10-27-2016, 08:32 PM
Racer

Not in any detail.

Richard
Old 10-28-2016, 01:00 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The point deduction system is simple. Depending on the class the car is in, points are deducted in the areas of originality, condition and/or cleanliness. The more points are deducted, the lower your score.

There are two tricks to scoring well:

1. Knowing the areas of the car that carry the greatest potential for point deduction, and focusing most of your efforts on those areas.

2. Knowing where concours judges are likely to look. You'd be surprised.

Last edited by 911Dave; 10-29-2016 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:31 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Ive done this before at a PCA event. Ill never do it again. The term "ludicrous" comes to mind. At the end I came damn near telling the pompous *** looking at my car to get the eff away from me and don't come back.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:36 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Just doing his job...

Once, I lost points for having the wrong color light inside the fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:16 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 70 Posts

^^ thank you 911Dave, I've had points deducted but wasn't told why (it wasn't a true Concours, but points were used) points, I like your car.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:05 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here are the 2016 PCA Competition Rules. Pages 9 thru 16 cover concours prep and judging. This is a good place to start for anyone looking to get into this insane hobby

https://www.pca.org/sites/default/fi...es%20Final.pdf
Old 10-29-2016, 12:37 PM
Racer

I think my only real problem with PCA judging is that it's a competitive event. Only one car can get an award.

Other marques hand out awards based on how close you car is to factory original. There can be several cars that win the top award on any given day. In these clubs you compete - but against a standard.

It's all insane though.

Richard Newton
Old 10-29-2016, 12:57 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was PCA judge for 6 years. There is "car care" and then there is "concourse". I like to keep my 911 in a drivers top side concourse condition at all times. I judge many classic and German car shows each year. You get better the more you do it. Knowledge, Patience, Discipline, Attention to detail, and a touch of ocd is all it takes. When I buy or sell a 911, it usually is within the PCA concurs community. You are getting a different level of car and the price reflects it.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:42 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Depending on the class the car is in, points are deducted in the areas of originality, condition and/or cleanliness.

There are two tricks to scoring well:

2. Knowing where concours judges are likely to look. You'd be surprised.
One of the biggest problems with the current concours environment.. originality. These are drivers cars and as such, many have had improvements made for comfort or drivability.. no matter how perfect the car, you will loose points for this. A modified class needs to be created or the rules adjusted to some degree to be more inclusive. These events loose a lot of potential participants because of this.

Remember, Porsche created the parts aftermarket for these cars.

Item #2 above: As a judge and former Concours chair.. we used to nail people all the time with the inside of the gas door, and/or sunroof opening etc..

Originally Posted by points
Ive done this before at a PCA event. Ill never do it again. The term "ludicrous" comes to mind. At the end I came damn near telling the pompous *** looking at my car to get the eff away from me and don't come back.
It can get "ludicrous" and there are numerous pompous asses that get involved and take it waaay too seriously. Typically what happens when you turn a fun hobby into work.

Originally Posted by TheMystro
I was PCA judge for 6 years. There is "car care" and then there is "concourse". I like to keep my 911 in a drivers top side concourse condition at all times. I judge many classic and German car shows each year. You get better the more you do it. Knowledge, Patience, Discipline, Attention to detail, and a touch of ocd is all it takes. When I buy or sell a 911, it usually is within the PCA concurs community. You are getting a different level of car and the price reflects it.
Well said..
Old 10-31-2016, 11:51 AM
AlfaGTA
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default cosmoline in coucours judging

To any of the authorities:
1. For the preservation class, how is cosmoline regarded? Is is supposed to be stripped off completely or left and cleaned as well as possible?
2. What about corroded hose clamps? OK to replace?
Thanks, Bill
Old 10-31-2016, 12:45 PM
Racer

Ed Mayo is the expert on all of this. I know he's over on the Early 911S board.

Here is the only thing I could find on this.

"Non-standard reproduction parts are subject to demerits (if the judge can tell the part is a reproduc- tion, by definition, it is non-standard).
"

Some marques use a matrix format. Original counts for so much and condition counts of so much. PCA doesn't do that. At least as far as I know.

Richard Newton
Old 11-02-2016, 12:40 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AlfaGTA
To any of the authorities:
1. For the preservation class, how is cosmoline regarded? Is is supposed to be stripped off completely or left and cleaned as well as possible?
2. What about corroded hose clamps? OK to replace?
Thanks, Bill
Cosmoline is acceptable as long as its cleaned as well as possible. If it nasty, then I would strip.. the catch then is to strip all of it in the given area.

Replace your corroded clamps. The catch here is that some judge may score it fine as its original patina.. where-as another may detract points because they're crappy looking.. however, you don't know which judge you'll get.. so replace.

With that in mind, you need to replace with the correct clamp, style/color.
Funny, just ran into that issue with a 74 Carrera we're taking to the Hilton Head event this weekend.

have fun,,
Old 11-03-2016, 05:15 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I judged at Parade this year for preservation. It is all about originality and condition. I showed my car in preparation it is all about cleanliness and not about originality. I love the sport as much as I love driving on the track but I hate to say it Concours is the most subjective event you can enter and politics have no place but seem to find their way.

Quick Reply: PCA Concours College