The Club Blau Coupe is in many ways a perfect Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 07:53 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
it's a wrap

btw, you do know that you are required to get a Club Coupe-related personalized license plate , don't you ?

awesome compilation!

The color is definitely a conversation starter. We were en route to Monticello this weekend from CT, and my buddy from the city was supposed to meet on on Rte 17. Needless to say, he made a wrong turn and somehow was behind us on Rte. 84, before our turn off to Rte 17. Blau stood out amongst the sea of silver black agate and white Porsches, which is what he saw first. On a side note, my other buddy drove Blau for me while I drove the other Porsche. Blau is one good looking car to follow. What I love, and often forget, is how the color changes hues depending upon time of day, lighting, weather, etc.

Then whilst at Monticello, a gent in a GT3 race car ask me when I was ready to sell. He had no idea about the car, the color, the specialness, etc., now he really wants to buy it.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:33 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Damn - i guess i need to be checking in to Rennlist more often.

Bob - i just sent you an PM response. Guessing Milt sent you the info about the watch, but if not, I'll get you contact info. Congratulations on the purchase. Hopefully you now have WAY more than 10 miles on the car.

If anyone on here hasn't joined the registry, please send me a PM and I'll get you in. We're missing a dozen or so cars and would love to round everyone up.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:48 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
btw, since they only ever in hx made up just " one can " of PTS Club Blau colored paint for spraying all 60 , orig owners were each given a bottle from that " can " for touch up and also we were given the exact Standox base color formula mix for body shop use , if needed , in future ..but forbidden to post it publicly for obv reasons

I have a cc and didn't get touch-up paint. Does it have to be ordered?[/QUOTE]

they were a mailed without asking to all original 60 lottery winning owners 4 mos ago ( i.e., the 60 PCA members whose names were randomly drawn from the 10,000 PCA members who entered the free contest to buy one and to whom neither PCA or PCNA would allow said drawing winner to sell or reassign their place in line )
I heard they had to pick about 90 names because 30 declined / got cold feet during the given 48 hr acceptance decision window when they contemplated its $160-$175K+ MSRP sticker depending on ones option choices !

short answer ...you cant order it ...there is no and prob never will be factory touch up in a " parts counter" brush bottle ..these were basically made by pouring what was left in the " can " into little plastic bottles that looked like the secretary was sent to the local hobby store to procure , ergo the careful wording on its accompanying letter !

Last edited by MKW; 10-25-2016 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:55 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
I heard they had to pick about 90 names because 30 declined...
I am forever grateful to these 30 people, and the voodoo power of JD in getting my name picked
Old 10-25-2016, 02:05 AM
speedshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Good stuff guys! I haven't been on rennlist for a while, and I totally agree with my fellow bro's the car is awesome to drive, performance with comfort and the Blau puts a big happy grin on my face every time, glad to see were still going strong!
Old 10-25-2016, 09:41 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

^^ Would love to see pics of your Z28s! I'm too young to have been cognizant when they were current, but by the time I was a gearhead teenager we were deep into the late-seventies/early eighties and cars sucked so bad that the 69 Z28 and 70 Z28 were my two holy grail cars. I wound up able to afford only a 72 350 Camaro, way neutered from a 69 Z28 but still my pride and joy!
Old 10-25-2016, 12:32 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MKW

they were a mailed without asking to all original 60 lottery winning owners 4 mos ago ( i.e., the 60 PCA members whose names were randomly drawn from the 10,000 PCA members who entered the free contest to buy one and to whom neither PCA or PCNA would allow said drawing winner to sell or reassign their place in line )
Close Milt - they were only mailed to the people who had signed up for the registry, since they were sent out by the registry through PCA, rather than PCNA. Since PCNA and PCA would be violating privacy policies by sharing contact information for all 60 owners, our only means of contact is via those who have voluntarily signed up.

If you need some touch up paint, DrColorChip has the code and it's (at least on my car) a really close match.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:41 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 203 Posts

uh oh, new PTS delivery in Germany... looks close to Club Blau. However, it's Nogaro Blue.

Last edited by JAM2; 10-25-2016 at 01:03 PM. Reason: color confirmation
Old 10-25-2016, 01:02 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I was looking at a video of the new paint shop and its complexity. I wonder of these custom paint cars go through that paint shop, or if they are taken to a special shop?
Old 10-25-2016, 01:11 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I was looking at a video of the new paint shop and its complexity. I wonder of these custom paint cars go through that paint shop, or if they are taken to a special shop?
^^^ Dan - I was fortunate to see one of the Club Coupes painted at the factory. It goes through the same paint "booth" as all other cars at Zuffenhausen.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:23 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
^^^ Dan - I was fortunate to see one of the Club Coupes painted at the factory. It goes through the same paint "booth" as all other cars at Zuffenhausen.
Wow, then it's understandable why it's a big cost to do that. I wonder if they even break even on those special paint jobs?

I hosted a party at the Porsche Museum, but never got to do a factory tour. So close....
Old 10-25-2016, 09:46 PM
b-thumper
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM2

uh oh, new PTS delivery in Germany... looks close to Club Blau. However, it's Nogaro Blue.
I have a long obsession with this color. While my PTS request wasn't submitted until after Club Blue was announced, I had been dreaming of doing it on a Porsche for at least the last 6 years.

Plus, it's not a GTS, nor naturally aspirated, so I'm sure that your values are intact.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:51 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 221 Posts

I heard they had to pick about 90 names because 30 declined / got cold feet during the given 48 hr acceptance decision window when they contemplated its $160-$175K+ MSRP sticker depending on ones option choices !

short answer ...you cant order it ...there is no and prob never will be factory touch up in a " parts counter" brush bottle ..these were basically made by pouring what was left in the " can " into little plastic bottles that looked like the secretary was sent to the local hobby store to procure , ergo the careful wording on its accompanying letter ![/QUOTE]

Interesting. I am one of the original lottery winners. I received a box of items including a cc model, but no touch-up paint. Will have to look into this.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:02 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout

short answer ...you cant order it ...there is no and prob never will be factory touch up in a " parts counter" brush bottle ..these were basically made by pouring what was left in the " can " into little plastic bottles that looked like the secretary was sent to the local hobby store to procure , ergo the careful wording on its accompanying letter !
Interesting. I am one of the original lottery winners. I received a box of items including a cc model, but no touch-up paint. Will have to look into this.[/QUOTE]

see JD's ( mathfuzzy ) explanatory post above ....turns out only CC Registry members got some ...so another reason for joining !
Old 11-01-2016, 08:06 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

An example of the lengths to which Exclusive will go to make things more special can be seen in something as small as a keycase:
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: The Club Blau Coupe is in many ways a perfect Porsche