Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I drive mine like an old man, will never upgrade the exhaust nor drive it crazy fast!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 05:17 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This is the funny thing about owning a high performance sports car. Unless you commit yourself to a track or other closed course, there's nowhere that you could even begin to push the car near its limits in a safe manner. I do not want to come off as holier than thou, because just outside of most suburban areas there are miles and miles of open twisty roads to be explored and I have ahem, exceeded the speed limit in such a place before. But going triple the speed limit? That's a bit frightening anywhere I'd imagine, and especially anywhere other than a closed off airstrip or straight road.

This car in its stock form is capable of getting to "go to jail" speeds very, very quickly. More than any other car I've owned, I'm amazed at how much punch is there if you drop a gear at 60mph and step on the gas. Yet, unless you have a total disregard for the law, your safety and the safety of others, you won't get to experience what this car can do very often. So with that all said, I kind of identify with the OP in some ways.

Somehow it's not about actually going as fast as you can, but knowing what the car can do that makes owning it exciting. Like someone else said, I get enjoyment just looking at the car in my garage sometimes. I don't need to test the limits of this car to be happy to have it. I don't drive mine as a daily, but occasionally I'll take it in to work, and even my normally boring 11 mile commute can be fun (especially because I take the more scenic route on the way home) and I may not ever even touch 65mph on that drive. Honestly, I would venture a guess that the majority of high performance sports car owners drive pretty conservatively most of the time they are behind the wheel. Plenty of people in much slower cars are the ones you see ripping through traffic or down the highway. I've been cruising along at around 70mph and been passed like I was standing still on the highway by cars I would destroy if I wanted to race them. I'll let them risk everything by driving like that. I have nothing to prove.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:24 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

I think the original post in this thread was a good one. I wouldn't call myself a grandpa driver, but I certainly don't do anything stupid. I bought my 997 turbo cabriolet to be more of a luxury GT car than a high performance racer. That's the beauty of the 997 platform; you can really customize it to suit your needs.

When I drive around town, I'm typically within 5 mph of the speed limit. Sure, I like to feel the rush of boost on a highway on ramp or when pass another car on a two lane road, but I never do anything too crazy. I drive my car about once a week, typically on nice weekends. I enjoy it most when my wife and I are out on a cruise on a mountain road or when I'm driving my myself on a mountain road. Speeds in that scenario rarely exceed 50 mph, and I've always got to watch out for bicycles or wildlife.

There are many ways to enjoy this car, and driving it at the limits of handling, braking, or top speed is something that few of us experience on a regular basis. You don't need to do these things to enjoy the car.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:36 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To the OPs comment about the date. Owning 4 Porsches, women are not fan of Porsches. These cars are guy cars. Women seem to like bmws in general. My first wife wasn't a fan of my Porsches and my current second wife couldn't care less, which is fine. Second wife LOVES driving my bmw and my previous AMG. Sold the AMG since she put more miles on that than the family wagon. In between marriages, the women I took home always acknowledged the bmw than the Porsche next to it in the garage. I could care less what women think of my choice of cars.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:45 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 74 Posts

I have to admit im guilty of driving insanely fast but I dont do it very often. Usually I baby it but cruising at 80mph on the Garden State Parkway is not unusual. At that speed im just keeping up with the mommy vans. I do very much enjoy the mods ive done though. The car feels and sounds much much better then stock. You dont have to go fast to feel like you're going fast. Sound, shifter, semi solid mounts and tighter suspension goes a long way at making you feel fast even when you're going slow.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:04 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody thinks, "hey this is the day I'm going to bite the big one," but when it happens just pray you don't take out a loved one, friend or another driver.

I'm no one to coach anyone...but when the laws of averages and physics catch up with you. Own it...

My Dad who was a HotRodder use to say... "Son, be smart, have fun, know your limits and don't F#$% Up my car!!! " Pearls of Wisdom....

OP, do what you love....JB

Last edited by johnbelk; 10-12-2016 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:45 PM
mpeterec
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mods, please delete

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2016, 12:21 AM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

OP - I still remember your first post in 997 Turbo forum asking for advice and you came through with 997.2TTS. You have an awesome car Steve, nothing drive, look and juicing my blood flow like 997TT. I've had a few BMW M3, M6 and other 911 but my 997TT is here to stay. As for driving, I live on a small island and working for the only trauma center in the state, I can't afford to drive recklessly or speeding here. However, I enjoy little bursts on H3 or a quick acceleration on empty highway at night but nothing crazy. Drive in good health my friend.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:38 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
OP - I still remember your first post in 997 Turbo forum asking for advice and you came through with 997.2TTS. You have an awesome car Steve, nothing drive, look and juicing my blood flow like 997TT. I've had a few BMW M3, M6 and other 911 but my 997TT is here to stay. As for driving, I live on a small island and working for the only trauma center in the state, I can't afford to drive recklessly or speeding here. However, I enjoy little bursts on H3 or a quick acceleration on empty highway at night but nothing crazy. Drive in good health my friend.
looks like a 67S!

i could use the parts!
Old 10-13-2016, 10:35 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OP as for the dating side of things, the car is for your enjoyment and not hers, though it would be cool if she liked it too... it's taken some time for my fiancee to warm up to the car, she hated the way it sounded and rode, now she likes it. Doesn't love it, but likes it. She also knows that it's a priority of mine and that it would be parked in the bedroom if I had the space. On that note when I design my house next year it will be pampered. If the girl makes fun of you then she either needs to go or change her tune fast. Women need to accept or understand our passion for cars, if they don't embrace it, they need to deal with it in proper form. Otherwise out the door. My ex let me do what I pleased which was great ,but not good for the wallet. At least this one kinda keeps me in check a bit more. I just hope I can have another car or two after house and kids.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:42 PM
cakM3
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

I try to keep away from heavy traffic so either I will go just fast enough to stay ahead or go slow enough that I'm not going into the heavy traffic... there is a time and place to let the car rip but on the most part like other's have mentioned it is not safe to do so...

I look forward to on ramps on the most part to rapidly accelerate and I get my "fix" so to speak then I can just pay attention to the traffic scheme, slide in and just enjoy the ride. I tend to "people watch" as other cars come by. Some expressions that I see are classic... I just try to enjoy my car for what it is.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:15 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

OP, well written man, well written.

Your car looks awesome as well.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:19 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by johnbelk
Sir,
Loved your post... We share the same model car, thoughts on mods & wheels and maybe experiences with women.
By the way, your Beast needs little in terms of mods should you decide to run someone stop-light to stop-light in Sports Plus Mode with Launch Control.. Your car as is, will destroy, I mean punish 99.9% of the cars out there...then as you said "quietly" take you to a local tavern...
My two dogs are great friends, who could care less what their peers think... They love rides in the Porsche!
Thank you for sharing,
You're not alone...JB
hahahaha, I actually tried to get Bear into my car, but it just wasn't going to happen! 57 kg of pure awesomeness.
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2016, 04:20 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

When I drive around town, I am very docile. And unfortunately I rarely get a chance to push my car. But I do love having the power at hand and still enjoy even quick moments of a rush.

My ex couldn't have cared less about my car passion let alone anything else that might make me happy. My second wife is more than tolerant and let's me indulge my passion. She even recently asked me to "promise" to restore my 356, even though I am 90% decided I don't have time for it and it's time to part ways. I did say cool, but can you pay for the restoration? But we're still at a crossroads on that.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:25 PM
vettenomore
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have owned my 2008 tt approximately 7 months and totally love the car. As I have mentioned in other threads, I have owned corvettes over the last 7-8 years and spent a lot of time on those forums. What I see as similar between owners of sports cars is that the vast majority, including myself, never drive these cars anywhere near the limits of performance. I had fully intended to mod my vettes and do some track time. Other than AM exhaust on both cars, I never got around to modding or doing any type of track events. My tt was purchased with mods that I would like to think I would have done if so inclined. But with my past experience, there's a good chance I wouldn't have.

While I will probably never push the car to its limits for any extended period, I do like opening it up on entrance ramps, open highways, and isolated country roads occasionally. There are times in traffic when the car's exceptional acceleration is required or its exceptional stopping power needed. But overall, its not the things I actually do in the car day-in and day-out - instead, I like the idea of what this car is capable of and the heritage and other intangibles that go along with owning a turbo Porsche. Any maybe, that's enough.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:17 PM
cakM3
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenomore
While I will probably never push the car to its limits for any extended period, I do like opening it up on entrance ramps, open highways, and isolated country roads occasionally. There are times in traffic when the car's exceptional acceleration is required or its exceptional stopping power needed. But overall, its not the things I actually do in the car day-in and day-out - instead, I like the idea of what this car is capable of and the heritage and other intangibles that go along with owning a turbo Porsche. Any maybe, that's enough.

Couldn't have said this any better... this is me with my 997tt as well

Quick Reply: I drive mine like an old man, will never upgrade the exhaust nor drive it crazy fast!