Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Macca's Dundon Motorsports Race Header Road Review - 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 10:53 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interesting to see how Porsche responds to warranty in different counties. Why is this?
Old 09-25-2016, 11:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
Your review is appreciated!

I am sceptical but it rather comes from many chats with guys who are in the business. I don't believe any exhaust system can get you so much power gains.
Especially with this sort of engines.
But again I am very interested to see head to head comparison.

I remember installing full Akra Evo in my E92 M3. I thought I got nice power gains. beautiful sound, response, etc. Until I connected to Vbox
Even though it was money well spent. For the sound itself.
I understand your skepticism. I felt the same way. I emailed 4 parties who had received and fitted the headers by PM to ask them their genuine views on the DMS headers. Im well enough known around here so I asked for it straight. One party is personally known to be and much regarded (Australian 991 RS owner). The others were from the middle east, Asia and USA. Two parties had independently dyno'd their cars with the headers before and after and produced traces (and in one case 1/4 mile before and after time slips from teh drags although im not sure how empirical that is) that were equal or in excess of the claims made by Dundon for these headers. I spoke many times to Jamie, asking questions and requesting plots from their dyno. The modern DFI cars have ECUs with torque limiters that are focused around emissions. They are sensitive to many variables. It would seem that removing the cat and working with resonance tuning (with the equal length and considerably longer header tract) its possible to improve exhaust side scavenging and thus cylinder fill efficiency during the combustion cycle. It would appear the factory ECU still leaves a little power on the table in favor of meeting Euro 5/6 standards. I dont know what gains my car has made, perhaps only the 30-35 bhp but it certainly has made some gains as I have a pretty well calibrated bum for this car after almost 3 years, 15,000 miles, 20 track days and three engines.

However, like I said I will try these on the track and see if my lap times improve. Currently on my local track Im fairly consistent - here are my 16 best laps from a half day track session at my local track on 30 March, the last time I was at the track with the car (the car was 100% stock including pads, rotors, tyres and exhaust - with the exception of the DSC suspension module and SRF brake fluid). It is the quickest car in our club of 70 x Porsches (around 35 attended this day including 3-4 x 991 GT3 & 1 x GT4). We hire track privately with open pitlane so very little traffic.

Im pretty good with car set up and have a pretty good "bum" for testing Im told. I think when Im next out at the this track dependent on barometric pressure, humidity and temperature I should hopefully run quicker. The only changes I have made to my car is the DMS (and some RT RE10 pads). Of course tyre condition is paramount too and the laps below were run on fresh MPSC2. But I have alot of traces from this track in the GT3 in stock trim so should beable to know better once Im out there again. Unfortunately I do not live in teh same country as the car and tracks so I tend to do concentrated track work over a 2-4 week period 2-3 x a year usually in the warmer months...
Attached Images   
Old 09-25-2016, 11:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. I run maybe only 40-50 laps that day. You can see 16 of them within 0.5s variance. Also I run 35 of those laps that day within 1s variance. This includes 2-3x back markers and some other traffic...ambient temperature was 24C or 75F. My telemetrics can tell me barometric pressure on the day and I also take track temp and wind speed as a 30kmph wind down the front straight will reduce vMax by 2-3 kmph in the 991 GT3 I have found...
Old 09-25-2016, 11:50 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great! That would do the trick. Real world results

I think that is even a better angle than comparing stock vs DMS. One Gt3 is not equal to another GT3 car.
As an example my friend is racing with me same car but no roll cage, has carbon ceramic brakes and to my eye he weights 10-12kg less than me. That gives 60kg less total weight including 20kg less unsprung weight. Our cars pull out of corners exactly the same way...

Again thanks for the review and looking forward to check your track results!
Old 09-25-2016, 12:32 PM
kaboobie
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
On "sport" exhaust mode its 20-25% louder in the first 1000-4000 rpm, probably a bit much for inner city cruising if Im honest – there is no resonance as such but the vibration has caused a rattle in the rear compartment (maybe the cage or my camera bracket) around 2000-2500 rpm which is likely a function of the harmonics. Its possible its the glass vibrating or something like a loose speed nut, but its only occasionally, not all the time, so Ill get behind there sometime and make sure everything is buttoned up properly.
Hi Macca,

I hope you don't mind me asking some questions. Is the above statement resemble drone noise between 2000-2500rpm ? Does it happen in normal driving mode when no button is pressed ?

Also how do you like your DSC ? Is there a big difference ? I'm also thinking of getting one.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2016, 02:50 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 371 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by kaboobie
Hi Macca,

I hope you don't mind me asking some questions. Is the above statement resemble drone noise between 2000-2500rpm ? Does it happen in normal driving mode when no button is pressed ?

Also how do you like your DSC ? Is there a big difference ? I'm also thinking of getting one.

Thanks
Macca's commenting with the valves open, drone/resonance is killed by using the long path of the muffler with the valves closed...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 09-25-2016, 02:51 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the review Mark! We're happy that you're happy!
Old 09-25-2016, 03:16 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by qbix
Great! That would do the trick. Real world results
Again thanks for the review and looking forward to check your track results!
Here's the pure power equivalent. 1/4 mile drag time slips, same car same driver

Left is Dundon Race, Right is center muffler bypass... The ET's are a bit of driver skill, the trap speeds tell the tale...

Old 09-25-2016, 03:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

I visited Dundon in Seattle and drove Jamie's GT3.
It's a great setup, sounds great, gets you HP and you lose 40lbs.

I haven't gotten a ride in an RS yet, but I'm stalking Bill who has it on his RS here in South Florida..
Old 09-25-2016, 04:31 PM
cmanquat
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Very interesting to see how Porsche responds to warranty in different counties. Why is this?
Yes, very strange but not funny here in France...
Old 09-25-2016, 04:39 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by cmanquat
Yes, very strange but not funny here in France...
Are your warranties also shorter in Europe?
Old 09-25-2016, 05:02 PM
cmanquat
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Are your warranties also shorter in Europe?
Under PORSCHE Approved warranty, nothing can not be changed to replace oem, including brakes, exhaust, suspension, ...

Different in the US ?
Old 09-25-2016, 05:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Macca's commenting with the valves open, drone/resonance is killed by using the long path of the muffler with the valves closed...
Yes. As Jamie is saying. Only in loud mode at 2500 does that happen.

As the sound is the same both mode from 3800 and as in both modes this exhaust makes the same power - I really see no need to use loud mode really unless going for fast back road weekend drive. Even on the track I am never below 3800 as you can see on the telemetry X data.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Local law over riding warranty rules. Why should fitting non standard pads affect the warranty when your GT4 manual transmission dies for example? That makes no sense. Manufacturers in our part of the world cannot contract out of the local "fair trading" and "consumer protection" laws regardless what they write in their policies.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:11 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Local law over riding warranty rules. Why should fitting non standard pads affect the warranty when your GT4 manual transmission dies for example? That makes no sense. Manufacturers in our part of the world cannot contract out of the local "fair trading" and "consumer protection" laws regardless what they write in their policies.
Well put, although I was also referring to the length in years/mileage of the warranty.. I thought in Europe it was shorter than the 4yr/50,000 miles we have in US? I know for Bmw it is much shorter

Quick Reply: Macca's Dundon Motorsports Race Header Road Review - 991 GT3