Sponsored by:

Observations after spening 4 hours at dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 12:34 AM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Maybe he means the plastic dashboard. If course you can option all the leather you want. Coming from a BMW he should expect a bigger option bill. That said BMW has a big option bill too. When I ordered my F10 M5 I had about 25k of options.
Stealth nice to see you over here. Trust you're enjoying your TTS. It's gorgeous. Is that non-metallic white? Flattering color for the 911. No I was just ranting about some of the trim options but long over it now. With the brushed aluminum, which I think you have, do you notice those areas which aren't included and remain base plastic trim?
One other question, quality wise how do you find the leather in your 911 versus your last M5?
Old 09-08-2016, 03:55 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Stealth nice to see you over here. Trust you're enjoying your TTS. It's gorgeous. Is that non-metallic white? Flattering color for the 911. No I was just ranting about some of the trim options but long over it now. With the brushed aluminum, which I think you have, do you notice those areas which aren't included and remain base plastic trim?
One other question, quality wise how do you find the leather in your 911 versus your last M5?
I like the Brushed aluminum. The area around the buttons is plastic but all the trim areas are brushed aluminum.

The interior is very nice I think. If you want you can really add a lot more leather - steering column, air vents, speaker grilles, door sills, center console, etc. But it gets expensive. My car has a lot of leather but nothing ridiculous.

I would say leather is not as comprehensive as F10 M5 with full leather, but it is more than enough.

If you want a sports car with a super luxurious interior, then you should look at the AMG GT with a two tone Designo interior. Those are stunning.

In terms of the leather quality, I think the Porsche leather is slightly better. It is a natural grain top leather, with protective coating. I get the impression it is more durable than the M5s leather but seems just as soft.

I read your points on the seats too, and I don't agree. I think the 18 way seats are fantastic. Not as good as M5 seats (but nothing short of Bentley can beat those seats). Nonetheless they are comfy and I haven't had any issues on long drives. I am also someone prone to sciatic nerve pain so I would notice if the seats were not good.

Did you buy a GTS yet? I think I would get a 2017 C4S over a 2016 GTS. You'd be amazed how good these cars sound with the right exhaust. Stick a Capristo on it.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:38 AM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I like the Brushed aluminum. The area around the buttons is plastic but all the trim areas are brushed aluminum.

The interior is very nice I think. If you want you can really add a lot more leather - steering column, air vents, speaker grilles, door sills, center console, etc. But it gets expensive. My car has a lot of leather but nothing ridiculous.

I would say leather is not as comprehensive as F10 M5 with full leather, but it is more than enough.

If you want a sports car with a super luxurious interior, then you should look at the AMG GT with a two tone Designo interior. Those are stunning.

In terms of the leather quality, I think the Porsche leather is slightly better. It is a natural grain top leather, with protective coating. I get the impression it is more durable than the M5s leather but seems just as soft.

I read your points on the seats too, and I don't agree. I think the 18 way seats are fantastic. Not as good as M5 seats (but nothing short of Bentley can beat those seats). Nonetheless they are comfy and I haven't had any issues on long drives. I am also someone prone to sciatic nerve pain so I would notice if the seats were not good.

Did you buy a GTS yet? I think I would get a 2017 C4S over a 2016 GTS. You'd be amazed how good these cars sound with the right exhaust. Stick a Capristo on it.
Think that I will go for the brushed aluminum based on your blessing Stealth.
The AMG is not for me but I'm sure it is a sweet car.

I think we're saying the same thing about the seats. M5 seats are more significant and more comfortable I think because bolsters are bigger. Probably not a fair comparison because those M5 seats weigh a lot more than Porsches.
Overall I felt the 18-way Sport-Plus are the best of the bunch, adapted from the 4-way sport-plus seats. The 4-way sport-plus seats fit me like a glove with no adjustments which is why I really liked them except for the length under knees.

Do you have what Porsche calls natural leather?

If I found the right GTS I'd probably buy it on the spot because I'm so in love with that engine and likely would sacrifice the 991.2 more refined chassis, etc. etc. to get it!
I have a few options:
1) Buy 2016 GTS
2) Wait for 2017 GTS hoping that Porsche doesn't boost the engine too much.
3) Order a 2017 C2 or 4S right now.

The sale of my 2015 M5 has a little to do with my decision. Received $75,500 trade-in value from local Porsche dealer, minimal but fair. So far unable to sell on my own for $80,000 which is a lot of car for the money. I haven't really tried too hard to sell it yet but it is a manual and the market is rather small.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:55 AM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Agreed; my last three Porsches have all been full leather, not because I particularly needed it but because the colors I wanted only came that way.

But I had a 2004 986SE that was full leather -- Cocoa. I would have ordered full leather on the 986/996 lines even if I was just getting black. They needed help. However, with full leather they weren't bad at all.

Great interior on that 986SE, handsome color. Yup, full leather is nice finishing off the car, and for me particularly because it envelopes the dash.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:43 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Geiss
I searched cargurus and found a few manuals, a beautiful very well optioned carmine red manual GTS in Scottsdale... Expand your search to 2015 models and you'll get more color options.
The GTS in Scottsdale is a fabulously beautiful car. If it wasn't for the wait for my 911 C4 the GTS would be in my garage.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
I can't imagine anyone ordering a porsche and not being completely excited and enamored with the process and the wait time.
The new car requires accepting certain tradeoffs for many of us. I'm going through much the same process as the OP, though with different issues, and finding it much harder to get excited about the .2 than the .1. Many of the tradeoffs in the .2 were not there in the .1.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:55 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

^^ Arch, I haven't been paying much attention to the particulars of the .2 since I won't be needing a 911 for awhile. Obviously, the 9A2 vs. 9A1 is a big differentiator, but you mention "many of the trade offs..." Can you expound on what those might be? Are options groups different or something like that?
Old 09-23-2016, 11:21 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Bought a 2016 GTS, went with my gut. Car should be delivered in a week or so.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:37 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

Ive owned 14 C2S, 15 GTS cab, and 17 C4S cab. 991.2 is the all around better car. The only thing that .1 car has on .2 is exhaust note. The .1 car is also beginning to look dated.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:07 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
^^ Arch, I haven't been paying much attention to the particulars of the .2 since I won't be needing a 911 for awhile. Obviously, the 9A2 vs. 9A1 is a big differentiator, but you mention "many of the trade offs..." Can you expound on what those might be? Are options groups different or something like that?
Well, it's all personal I think, but I'm pretty close to ordering a .2 to go along with my .1 (as my .1 is a pure performance build and we want a Carrera that's a little more 'couple' friendly), and the two tradeoffs to me are as follows:

First, in order to get things I'd typically want, like SPASM, I have to go with the S, which has more noticeable turbo lag. I test drove a base and I can live with that throttle response. Don't think I could with the S based on everything I'm reading. So, I'm stuck with PASM.

Second, in order to get sport exhaust, you have to choose the two narrow center exhaust option, which I can't stand and could never own. So no sport exhaust. That I can live with as I don't think this car sounds amazing either way, but it is kind of a bummer.

I'm going to spend a ton of $ and still wind up with a non-SPASM car with the quiet exhaust, unless I'm willing to make, what to me, are big tradeoffs. That's what's keeping me from getting tremendously jacked about ordering a new car, though I can live with it. Still going to be an awesome C4 if I do go forward and order it. And I'll always have my .1 w/SPASM/PSE in the garage for my 'alone' time.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:09 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

That is a wicked looking car. Well done. If I go forward with my C4, it'll probably be black as well.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:21 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude congrats!!!
Old 09-24-2016, 09:32 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
the two narrow center exhaust option, which I can't stand and could never own. So no sport exhaust.
I guess based on appearance? I can not imagine foregoing PSE for that, so this is confusing.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:46 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by ggreg911
Ive owned 14 C2S, 15 GTS cab, and 17 C4S cab. 991.2 is the all around better car. The only thing that .1 car has on .2 is exhaust note. The .1 car is also beginning to look dated.
Beginning to look dated? LOL!

The 991.2 is a very minor facelift, besides the significant changes to the engine. 99 percent of the people out there could not even tell the difference between a 991.1 and a 991.2. Look, I am sure the 991.2 has some nice upgrades but let's not get carried away here, especially with the aesthetics...a retro engine cover, very minor tweaks to the tail lights and front spoiler, do not suddenly make the 991.1 look dated. Wait for the 992 to do that, hahaha!
Old 09-24-2016, 10:45 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Beginning to look dated? LOL!

The 991.2 is a very minor facelift, besides the significant changes to the engine. 99 percent of the people out there could not even tell the difference between a 991.1 and a 991.2. Look, I am sure the 991.2 has some nice upgrades but let's not get carried away here, especially with the aesthetics...a retro engine cover, very minor tweaks to the tail lights and front spoiler, do not suddenly make the 991.1 look dated. Wait for the 992 to do that, hahaha!
Haha!! Definitely not dated yet IMO. Besides, I can't wait until it starts to look dated... 20 yrs from now.

Quick Reply: Observations after spening 4 hours at dealer