Notices

The New Porsche 911 R You Ready?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 08:04 PM
Curated Content Editor
Rennlist Editor

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Default The New Porsche 911 R You Ready?

The New Porsche 911 R You Ready?
by Thomas Mabson

Old 09-24-2016, 01:10 AM
JKay
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

List price here is over $400,000 and they're obviously going for way over list
Old 09-26-2016, 04:12 AM
speef
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm confused ... is this the 911 R they introduced a few months ago? The one they made 500 of or so or is this different? Seems to me, saying "are you ready?" and all that type of BS for a car they will sell only a few hundred of is a lot of hype and a bit insulting to the 99% of Porsche owners who would like one but either can not afford one or won't get one because of no supply... if they plan to produce 10,000 of it then I take it all back ... still, which is it ? curious...
Old 09-26-2016, 01:48 PM
speef
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

it's 3k lbs not 1.7k lbs, just under 1.5k kilos...

Porsche is a business, don't forget that, their job is to convince you that it's a passion first and a business second, it's not... my brother is a very successful automotive branding executive and he spends his career trying to convince you of exactly that, and has done very well convincing you ... I have built and sold similar products for over 3 decades... at the risk of insulting some of you - hopefully not most - Porsche, through their careful and very pointed passion-centric advertising, targets the upper disposable income demographic who's either in early midlife crisis onset or is already deep into it... and they premium the hell out of their cars as a result and they do a great job at that... few things to ponder... if you look behind the branding curtain you will see that all 991s share the majority of parts... period... 1) you can't run a profitable business unless you platform the product and the base 991 platform is the base for all 991 cars 2) as far as I know, the 911R quickly went for almost twice what the almost identical gt3RS went for, and soon took off way beyond that, with some trading hands for over a million... the car was $185k new guys... the almost identical GT3RS minus 100lbs plus a manual gearbox goes for low $2s... this means the "purists" are valuing these mods at about about $1m over the gt3rs which is something of a social experiment in itself ... 3) real purists go for analog cars, pseudo-purists go for digital cars with a manual gearbox so they can feel young and analog while being (old and) digital... the 991 is a digital platform, even with a manual gearbox, that's how it was designed ... 4) for the kind of money the 911R is fetching one would think a real purist would go for a real purist car, and if they want to stay within Porsche for that kind of money one would go for a CGT (2 in this case if 911Rs are actually fetching over $1m) which is a totally different animal, and can not even be compared to the 911R, as lovely as the R is...

Conclusion: we live in an era where the near zero federal funds rate has created such immense distortions that people have lost all sense of reality... the 911R is a lovely car and I'm not knocking it... but it's a car off a volume production line, that cost $185k new (and that price had a nice profit priced into it as well, which means the bill of materials was similar to other 991 models...) and you can add stripes and manual tranny and take out 100lbs and all the rest of it, but you still can't escape the fact that you are now paying 8-10 times for something that cost $185k a few months ago so you can have a manual tranny... or because you believe in the greater fool theory and you are a flipper... why are people falling for this ?

Quick Reply: The New Porsche 911 R You Ready?