Sponsored by:

Introduction and on-going picture thread. The 997.1TT Journey

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 04:40 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Introduction and on-going picture thread. The 997.1TT Journey

I've posted on Rennlist for about a year or so and have been a long time lurker. After having a host of different sports cars over the years, I finally got my first Porsche last year- a black 997.2 C2. Loved the car and still miss it sometimes, but after about a year of ownership I started getting the itch to upgrade to a turbo. About a month ago, I made that upgrade!

I figured I'd go ahead and start a thread for pictures, modification updates and also to document any maintenance issues for those wondering what it is like to drive a "high mileage" 997.1TT. Also, not much love for the Tiptronics either, so I'll keep this online journal for those that may be considering Tiptronic over 6sp. Admittedly, this will not be a daily driver for me, as my wife and I have 4 vehicles between two drivers (each a daily and each a "fun" car) so the mileage won't be racking up that rapidly. I daily a lifted '15 Tundra Crewmax (gas mileage be damned I guess). That said, my Turbo just turned 70K miles, and from what I've been reading, not too many people on here have vehicles with that kind of mileage.

Last edited by vbb; 07-27-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:59 PM
ThewhippetsS5
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome!! What a beautiful car
Old 09-11-2016, 06:48 PM
JKay
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the Turbo forum and thanks for the pics.

How does the Turbo compare to your previous 997.2 C2?
Old 09-11-2016, 08:42 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by JKay
How does the Turbo compare to your previous 997.2 C2?
To put it simply, this car is just more.

The 997.2 C2 was a ton of fun. Looked great, handled great (especially with the suspension setup that I had on it), and had plenty of acceleration. The Turbo is more car across the board. The AWD makes this car feel more planted around fast turns, on and off ramps, the looks of this car with the wider stance and hips makes it look more athletic, and the acceleration is effortless and so fast. I have not (yet) driven this car as fast I as drove my previous car, so no top speed comparisons, but I can say this thing pulls hard all throughout the power band and is obviously much faster. The PDK on my C2 is better than the Tip on this car though... much better.

MSRP for MSRP, this car was $45K more when new, and it feels like it is just in another class. That said, my C2 was a spectacular car in its own right, and I honestly do miss having it too.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:06 PM
JKay
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
To put it simply, this car is just more.

The 997.2 C2 was a ton of fun. Looked great, handled great (especially with the suspension setup that I had on it), and had plenty of acceleration. The Turbo is more car across the board..
Thank you. I only asked because I initially set out looking for a C2S Manual and ended up with a Turbo Tip, and your feedback was very welcome.

Loking forward to to seeing how you progress with your TT, and how you "bond" with it over the coming weeks/months
Old 09-12-2016, 11:53 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

love the white with brown interior. Probably pulls like a champ at 70k. I love seeing high mileage TTs.

What work was done to it? Maintenance/aftermarket?
Old 09-12-2016, 12:40 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
love the white with brown interior. Probably pulls like a champ at 70k. I love seeing high mileage TTs.

What work was done to it? Maintenance/aftermarket?
Yeah, it does pull very hard. I know I haven't been a member of this community for long, but I kind of feel like I'm advocating for the concept of higher mileage Porsches... the Turbo in particular. We've all seen values of cars seemingly fall off a cliff after about 50K miles (compared to the same vehicles with lower mileage), and most of that I think is just the stigma of having an expensive car that is getting older, and the fact that maintenance will be so much higher. I've done a lot of research on this myself, and am good friends with the part-owner at a Porsche indy shop in my area, and for the most part, these fears are unjustified. If you treat your car well, it should treat you well at 100K and beyond. Porsche has enjoyed a good reputation for quality and reliability unlike some of its German, Italian and British counterparts, and I am trusting that reputation until proven otherwise.

The previous owner did all the scheduled maintenance at his local Porsche dealership as evidenced by the records. All of the things in the 60K mile service were done, and the spark plugs were replaced less than a year and less than 5K miles ago. When I got the car, I went ahead and did new brake rotors even though I still had some life left in them, and pads on the front (the rears were practically new). I also had an issue with my A/C suddenly not working (turns out it was a fuse) and the gear selector would get stiff, especially when the car was hot. I found a thread somewhere on another forum where the people were talking about it, and it had something to do with the shift linkage and is a less than 1hr fix. I had the shop go ahead and do that fix too. I'm keeping an eye out for the coolant piping issues that so many have mentioned, and am sort of "budgeting" for that fix at some point. I'm not going to do the pinning or welding until I need to though.

Right now the only issue I'm having is it seems that on these hotter days we're having, I am getting a water dripping from the a/c evaporator that will cause a small puddle of water when I'm parked. It's definitely water, and it's coming from up front where the A/C stuff is and not the back where the engine components are. I'm keeping an eye on that too, but it's nothing alarming yet.

Like I said, the point of this thread is to keep a running thread sort of as a diary of ownership where I talk about any of the issues I have to address and any mods I may decide to do. I wish there was more out there about higher mileage 997 Turbos, but since there isn't, I thought I'd start my own thread for others to follow.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:29 PM
austx911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, looks like my twin minus the 6spd manual. I agree, both great cars but different. TT definitely feels more stable but my '09 C2S had more road feel - it felt lighter and more agile.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:12 AM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by austx911S
Nice, looks like my twin minus the 6spd manual. I agree, both great cars but different. TT definitely feels more stable but my '09 C2S had more road feel - it felt lighter and more agile.
I agree. The 997.2 C2 I had was lighter and definitely felt it. In some ways that was more fun, but in others it is not. This TT feels stable and planted all the time, which is very confidence inspiring.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:30 AM
Steven954
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After coming from a 996 Turbo, test drove a Carrera S and it felt like something is missing.. Ended up with a 997 Turbo... Im not a speed guy, but its a great feeling knowing you have all that juice if needed.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:01 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Right now the only issue I'm having is it seems that on these hotter days we're having, I am getting a water dripping from the a/c evaporator that will cause a small puddle of water when I'm parked. It's definitely water, and it's coming from up front where the A/C stuff is and not the back where the engine components are. I'm keeping an eye on that too, but it's nothing alarming yet.
Just FYI -- that isn't an "issue" -- it is completely normal and all cars with A/C will drip condensation on the ground when the car is stopped (if the A/C has been running). As long as it is water there is nothing to worry about. If you don't like seeing the water, all you need to do is turn off your A/C (hit Econ) for a couple minutes before you park your car.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:05 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by TypeRx
Just FYI -- that isn't an "issue" -- it is completely normal and all cars with A/C will drip condensation on the ground when the car is stopped (if the A/C has been running). As long as it is water there is nothing to worry about. If you don't like seeing the water, all you need to do is turn off your A/C (hit Econ) for a couple minutes before you park your car.
Thanks. It is more noticeable on my car than it is on my truck...seems like more water is building up, but yes, it's definitely water and definitely coming from the ac location under the car. I did notice at a local cars and coffee event that several other Porsches had the similar puddle. Seems these cars "sweat" more than others, haha!
Old 09-15-2016, 06:47 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The cars not the only things that sweats when you get the car going hahaha
Old 09-16-2016, 07:19 PM
991turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome and love white !
Old 09-17-2016, 01:37 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

I consider a high mileage 911 Turbo something with WELL over 115k miles. Yours is like brand new. Great purchase.

Quick Reply: Introduction and on-going picture thread. The 997.1TT Journey