Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981S vs 718S

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 11:34 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
I have found almost universally that the perception of speed and Gs is greater as a passenger.

I think that if you were to actually drive the 718S you'd probably be very happy with your 981GTS. Imho the 981GTS also looks better from the exterior as well.

With that said the SC+ PDK appears to have been well optimized for the 4 cylinder turbo in the 718S. Whereas with an MT, the 0- 60 acceleration that so many "enthusiasts" seem so enamored with is actually only 1/10 a second better in the 718S as compared to the 981S according to tests done by Car and Driver.
Fair enough. As I said, I wouldn't trade my 981GTS for a 718anything anyway, but I just thought the car was pretty cool...in a different way.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:25 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Finally got to ride in a well equipped 718S last week (courtesy of 311RS!) While I didn't drive the car, I was thoroughly impressed by its capabilities. This particular car had PDK + PTV. The mid-range power delivery is not even remotely comparable to a 981S. You can feel the extra torque from below 2k all the way to 7k+ RPMs. It accelerates with true authority, and I actually thought it sounded pretty cool as well. The handling was impressive as well, though not too far off a 981S from my (limited) experience. While I do not regret my purchase of a 981GTS in the slightest, part of me kinda wants a 718S to get the best of both worlds!
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about the performance of the 718. Since I haven't driven one yet, it's good to hear someone's first-hand experience.

I think the car will be quite successful despite the grousing about it from certain 'snobby' 6-cylinder Boxster owners.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:45 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by VGM911
I think the car will be quite successful despite the grousing about it from certain 'snobby' 6-cylinder Boxster owners.
It's not about being 'snobby'. It's just hard to go backwards when you know how good it was before. The best analogy I can think of is this: picture the most physically perfect woman for you, which if magazines are correct, would probably be somebody like Scarlett Johanson. That's a 981 GTS. Now cut her **** off. That's the 718S. If you never saw the real one, you'd still think she's awesome, right? But if you did, you'd be disappointed, since something very good about her was removed. Same thing. And yes, I also think the new car will eventually succeed (or maybe even succeed right away), but I don't foresee it as a sales hit since Porsche's intention is to 'force' owners to buy into the 911 if they want an F6. It's never going to be as attractive as the F6 981 IMO, but we'll find out soon enough.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:07 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about the performance of the 718. Since I haven't driven one yet, it's good to hear someone's first-hand experience.

First off, he stated in the opening that he hasn't driven one but was a passenger.

Second, because some people appreciate the sound, power delivery not to mention the history of a natural aspirated flat 6 as it relates to Porsche doesn't make them snobby.

I personally think it's humorous when people mention the new car handles better which evidently they can discern from a test drive. And of course in all of these forum reviews i've never seen a mention of which of the available suspensions from both cars are actually being compared. Stock, PASM and X73 are all noticbaly different particulary at the limits. I also find it interesting that people can so easily discern a couple tenths of a second 0-60 when actually the sensation of greater accleration they are likely responding to is the nearly instantaneous delivery of torque these turbo engines deliver once past the low RPM lag. Still, I wouldn't call those people delusional or misguided turbo lovers.

I appreciate all the opinions on Rennlist whether I agree with them or not. I think you too could disagree with the proponents of the earlier flat 6 981 without giving in to name calling.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:19 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Now I'm always going to see scarlet Johansen with her **** cut off when I see a 718 drive by.. Thanks for the visual.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:27 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

First off, he stated in the opening that he hasn't driven one but was a passenger. I NEVER SAID THAT HE DROVE THE CAR. BUT CERTAINLY RIDING IN A CAR AS A PASSENGER CAN GIVE YOU SOME SENSE OF THE PERFORMANCE CAPABILITIES OF THE CAR.

Second, because some people appreciate the sound, power delivery not to mention the history of a natural aspirated flat 6 as it relates to Porsche doesn't make them snobby. WHAT MAKES THEM SNOBBY IS NOT THEIR AFFECTION FOR THE 6-CYLINDER CARS OF YORE, BUT THEIR CONDESCENDING, PATRONIZING, OR SOCIALLY EXCLUSIVE ATTITUDES TOWARDS OTHERS WHO DON'T SHARE THEIR OPINION ABOUT THE 718 - THAT'S WHAT MAKES THEM SNOBBISH.

I personally think it's humorous when people mention the new car handles better which evidently they can discern from a test drive. And of course in all of these forum reviews i've never seen a mention of which of the available suspensions from both cars are actually being compared. Sck, PASM and X73 are all noticbaly different particulary at the limits. I also find it interesting that people can so easily discern a couple tenths of a second 0-60 when actually the sensation of greater accleration they are likely responding to is the nearly instantaneous delivery of torque these turbo engines deliver once past the low RPM lag. Still, I wouldn't call those people delusional or misguided turbo lovers.

I appreciate all the opinions on Rennlist whether I agree with them or not. I think you too could disagree with the proponents of the earlier flat 6 981 without giving in to name calling. IF THE NAME/WORD THAT I USED IS APPROPRIATELY USED, THEN IT'S NOT SIMPLE NAME CALLING...RATHER IT'S AN ACCURATE AND FAIRLY DESCRIPTIVE USE OF THE TERM.
In the final analysis, I say "live, and let live." It's no skin off my nose if certain people don't care for the 718, but it's rather rude to criticize the people who do like the new car, simply because it doesn't measure up to the older cars that the critics are driving.

It's not my intent to start a prolonged debate about this, but I simply wanted to present an alternative viewpoint.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:20 AM
Underblu
Banned

In the final analysis, I say "live, and let live." It's no skin off my nose if certain people don't care for the 718, but it's rather rude to criticize the people who do like the new car, simply because it doesn't measure up to the older cars that the critics are driving.

It's not my intent to start a prolonged debate about this, but I simply wanted to present an alternative viewpoint.
I'm good with your alternative viewpoint. I'm not looking for a debate either it was just the snobby comment irked me a bit but no biggie. I even agree with you that many folks will love the 718S.

with PDK and SC+ The 718S offers compelling accleration and quite possibly a sub 4 second 0-60 time

While the 981S with PASM or X73is is one of the best handing cars out there, it appears Porsche retained all that handling greatness for the 718, even improving things like the 10% quicker steering ratio from the 991 turbo.

And of course the already great 981 brakes have also been improved.

So for some people that enjoy the response of an FI engine, and aren't put off the sound of a turbo 4, the 718S provides a very enticing package. It also provides a much improved infotainment package which is a factor for many folks aw well.

Still, Some of us prefer the 981S and its charms with that big ol flat 6.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:29 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

I'm good with your alternative viewpoint. I'm not looking for a debate either it was just the snobby comment irked me a bit but no biggie. I even agree with you that many folks will love the 718S.

with PDK and SC+ The 718S offers compelling accleration and quite possibly a sub 4 second 0-60 time

While the 981S with PASM or X73is is one of the best handing cars out there, it appears Porsche retained all that handling greatness for the 718, even improving things like the 10% quicker steering ratio from the 991 turbo.

And of course the already great 981 brakes have also been improved.

So for some people that enjoy the response of an FI engine, and aren't put off the sound of a turbo 4, the 718S provides a very enticing package. It also provides a much improved infotainment package which is a factor for many folks aw well.

Still, Some of us prefer the 981S and its charms with that big ol flat 6.
This is a nice, thoughtful closing of our discussion about the 981 vs the 718. Thanks, Underblu.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Now I'm always going to see scarlet Johansen with her **** cut off when I see a 718 drive by.. Thanks for the visual.
I think that is a harsh, ridiculous statement. The 718 is perhaps more like Scarlet simply dropping a cup size... or two. She is still unquestionably beautiful in so many ways. Her performance I can't comment on as I've not driven her (718) yet...

P.s. Hopefully this fixes your visual! And I wonder how many 718's will be named "Scarlet" now?

Last edited by Zeus993; 09-09-2016 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:41 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

it's rather rude to criticize the people who do like the new car, simply because it doesn't measure up to the older cars that the critics are driving.
Nobody is being 'rude'. We're simply stating our preferences. If you take offense of that, maybe an internet forum is not for you. You shouldn't care if somebody even calls your car a piece of crap. As long you like it, that's what matters... because there will always be folks who don't.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:20 PM
CFIMarco
Advanced

I'll keep my 981S and instead of trading it for a 718S I'll buy an iPhone7.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Back to the original question - I'd take the 981S.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:19 PM
Underblu
Banned

This is a nice, thoughtful closing of our discussion about the 981 vs the 718. Thanks, Underblu.
Hey were all on the side of good here. Just splitting some hairs which I guess is what these forums are all about. So cheers from one Porsche owner to another.

Plus, It's not like you were posting Lambo pictures or anything.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:14 PM
CFIMarco
Advanced

Il you don't care about this 3D feel free to post somewhere else, I don't think you are in the position of stating when it has to be closed.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:23 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by CFIMarco
Il you don't care about this 3D feel free to post somewhere else, I don't think you are in the position of stating when it has to be closed.
NORTH KOREA BANS SARCASM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7231461.html

Quick Reply: 981S vs 718S