Sponsored by:

Gear Replacement - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 02:44 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Sure you can. You just may be thrown in a class with some factory race cars/exotic home builds. And no matter your inner Hamilton, Vettel, etc., welcome to starting the race by hearing engines go on throttle, rather than seeing the green flag.
Exactly :-)
Old 08-31-2016, 11:29 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Trying to remember the last time I saw a 993 running a PCA letter class. They all run GT these days. And in the POC and PRC they don't run stock either. I wouldn't worry too much about changing gears. If you make it a racecar you are going to spend a lot more converting it to race than just the gearbox
Old 08-31-2016, 11:56 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Trying to remember the last time I saw a 993 running a PCA letter class. They all run GT these days. And in the POC and PRC they don't run stock either. I wouldn't worry too much about changing gears. If you make it a racecar you are going to spend a lot more converting it to race than just the gearbox
Here on the east coast, 993s run in G or H class. Although not as prevalent as the 964s, the 993s are still out there in PCA.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:24 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Here on the east coast, 993s run in G or H class. Although not as prevalent as the 964s, the 993s are still out there in PCA.
Let me put it a different way. PCA racing 993s is something in its twilight. There wasn't a single G or H 993 at the 48 Hours of Sebring this year. With the increase in values, fewer and fewer owners will consider converting their 993 to a racecar when they can go out and buy a SPB or water pumper H class car already built for about what it would cost to convert a 993 over.

It seems strange to me to even be considering the hypothetical future racing life of this vehicle when asking the question of whether he just fix 3rd or regear it. But I don't know the OP. Maybe you guys posting who know him have had conversations in the past about making this car into a racecar and I'm totally off in the weeds in how I'm thinking.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:35 PM
SINY993er
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, no plans to ever race the car again..too special for me. Just want it to be a fun DE car. Maybe I'll convert to more street going version someday, but not for a while.

Going to do the short gear box. In the process of figuring out details now. Have spoken to Steven Weiner and Matt at Guard.

Will keep you posted.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:29 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
Let me put it a different way. PCA racing 993s is something in its twilight. There wasn't a single G or H 993 at the 48 Hours of Sebring this year. With the increase in values, fewer and fewer owners will consider converting their 993 to a racecar when they can go out and buy a SPB or water pumper H class car already built for about what it would cost to convert a 993 over.

It seems strange to me to even be considering the hypothetical future racing life of this vehicle when asking the question of whether he just fix 3rd or regear it. But I don't know the OP. Maybe you guys posting who know him have had conversations in the past about making this car into a racecar and I'm totally off in the weeds in how I'm thinking.
The car is already a race car and was built for G class (it's my former car). Classes wax and wane and, yes, the 993 in G is on the wane. But that doesn't mean that the 993 won't come back since no one knows what will happen with 993 prices or with how PCA classes the 993 in the future. Moreover, we have seen countless people build a car for DE purposes, only to find that the car is hapless in a PCA GT class and with a poor ROI as a DE car.

The OP has spoken and has decided to put in a short box, so the point is now moot.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:32 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

If you can swing it do the entire box. My car with the G50/30 (Cup gearbox) makes it's stupid fun to drive. Also, my lap times are faster than GTC2 times, just saying
Old 08-31-2016, 02:34 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default The fate of the 993 in racing

Originally Posted by SINY993er
Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, no plans to ever race the car again..too special for me. Just want it to be a fun DE car. Maybe I'll convert to more street going version someday, but not for a while.

Going to do the short gear box. In the process of figuring out details now. Have spoken to Steven Weiner and Matt at Guard.

Will keep you posted.
GTgears writes, "Trying to remember the last time I saw a 993 running a PCA letter class. They all run GT these days. And in the POC and PRC they don't run stock either. I wouldn't worry too much about changing gears. If you make it a racecar you are going to spend a lot more converting it to race than just the gearbox"

Value....the 993 is just too valuable to race, unless it is a salvage title rat. There have been less than five (5) 993 cars racing with POC the last 10 years. In fact there are only two (2) 993 cars occasionally racing now. No way I am putting my car in potential harms way competing against some "Throw Away" Boxsters in GT5. I am back to GT5 in DE...good place to be for me.

With respect to POC rules, PCA too, there are huge penalties for changing R&P and gears. In PCA with a R&P change (As I recall) you move up a Stock Class...when you add gears, you may even be bumped up into a PCA Race Class. So if you show up with a 993 having all the required safety equipment as well as lower R&P and or a gear change, be prepared to get your *** handed to you in PCA.

POC: The best place for a 993 in POC is KI/R6 class. But you are allowed to only improve the struts/shocks to PSS9/10 levels, and are limited to -2.5 degrees of camber. You must run stock gears, and cannot add any aero, other that the stock Aero Kit 1A/B kit. The on-track weight with driver and a splash of gas is about 3,050 Lbs...so you can take a lot of weight out of the car (A difficult thing to do). I have been in this class back in the day. Just my luck there were some real drivers in KI/R6 and I got whooped pretty regularly.

With POC, gears move you from Stock/Improved to Prepared, or KS/KI to KP in the letter class. In KP, you'll compete with 996 cars, cars that are lighter, stiffer, more HP, better aero and maybe even better balanced overall. For certain the 996 cars have better transmission gear ratios and less tub flex...once again, be prepared to have your *** handed to you. My driving has improved, but I have real difficulties competing against 996 cars.

With POC, the other options is GT5, a weight to HP class...gears and/or R&P won't help, you'll be getting your *** handed to you here by lighter weight lower HP cars. It's all about the weight...and with the higher HP of the 993, my stock motor is putting out 260 HP to the rear wheels...my car needs to weigh at least 3,200 lbs with Nitto NT-01 tires. On Hoosiers, the mandated weight goes up, and with slicks, higher still, 3,400 Lbs +. You'll be competing against cars that are at least 700 Lbs lighter.... the only place you'll be competitive is the longer/high speed tracks such as California Speedway. You'll be OK at Buttonwillow and Willow Springs, but be 1 to 2 seconds off the pace of the lighter cars, maybe more. Increasing development money is going into GT5. There are some very well prepared GT5 Boxster cars in place these days with the POC, and they are scary quick.

I have been in KI/R6, and GT5, so I have experienced the peculiarities of racing a 993. For me, and maybe some others, successfully racing a 993, probably not going to happen. Race a "rat" drive a dream 993 is my motto.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:37 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 128 Posts

The avatar pictures took me a few seconds to digest before understanding that, in fact, worlds have NOT collided.
:-) :-) :-)

Old 09-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jlaa
The avatar pictures took me a few seconds to digest before understanding that, in fact, worlds have NOT collided.
:-) :-) :-)

Yes, sir, that's the former car.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Mark is so very correct...again?

Mark writes, "Moreover, we have seen countless people build a car for DE purposes, only to find that the car is hapless in a PCA GT class and with a poor ROI as a DE car." The ROI comment must have been tongue in cheek comment...I get it. There is no ROI on a race car, unless one is at the highest levels in pro-racing.

Lesson #1, do your research, some cars have a natural advantage. In my Cub it's the 964 RS America. It is several pounds lighter than a standard 993, has better aero (Lower C.D.) yet in competes head to head with the standard 993.

The real "natural advantage" car is Porsche Owners Club Racing is the 964. It was moved down to "J" class from the 993 "K" class, and competes with the 84 - 89 Carrera as well as the 993. For lots of reasons (They are now too valuable, but so is a 84 - 89 Carrera, especially the last several years of this model with the G-50 tranny and hydraulically actuated clutch), nobody shows up with a 90 - 93 C2.

The 944 Turbo runs in the same class as the 84 - 89 Carera...it's a natural...especially with Factory Club Sport suspension. It too is generally a no-show with the POC....these cars aren't THAT valuable, yet. I almost bought one while back...but heard too many maintenance and reliability "horror" stories. They may or may not have been true

So if you have fantasies of competing at a high level, enter competition with the car having the out of the box natural advantage....IMHO Unfortunately, lots of us build our cars in a evolution progression. And before you know it, we are locked into a class, which in fact may be an unfavorable class from the get go.

Quick Reply: Gear Replacement - Questions