Sponsored by:

Rapid Turn Signals?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 02:16 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rapid Turn Signals?

I just did the front bumperette removal on my car and fitted the Euro style parking lights that fill the void left when the bumpers are deleted. At the same time, I had the shop remove the rear bumper cover to respray it. When I picked the car up from the shop, I immediately noticed that my turn signals were very fast blinking. Typically, this is an indication that one of the bulbs is burned out; however, when I checked, all 4 turn signals appear to be operable.

One thing that I did note, is that in the rear, the lights that are blinking are the small side lights closest to the rear wheel wells. I don't remember what lights were blinking before I took it to the shop. So, is it possible that they hooked up the wrong rear lights, and the resistance difference of the lighting is the cause of the rapid flashing? Hope I'm not confusing anyone! The rear lights that are now acting as blinkers are very small......perhaps 2x3 inches, and on the side of the rear fender......almost as though they were meant to be side marker lights.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:37 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone have any comment for me?
Old 08-30-2016, 02:47 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 94 Posts

It is *possible* that they hooked the lights up incorrectly, some of the connectors are the same on the rear so you can swap them accidentally. Sorry I can't offer any more than that...
Old 08-30-2016, 03:22 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

Mine did this when I put in LED turn signals, did you change the bulbs to LEDs at the same time you did the other work?
Old 08-30-2016, 04:37 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 397 Posts

Some photos might help Ernie. I agree with Pirahna that LED bulbs without Tore's LED module could cause the rapid flash in the blinkers. But if you don't have LED's, that's not the problem.

It's difficult (but not impossible) to hook up the rear lights incorrectly as they're relatively dummy proof with distinct fittings for each light (note the square tabs and slanted tabs vary on each). But even if they installed the lights in the wrong holes, the lights themselves should not have changed and this wouldn't cause the flashing. The side marker lights have a completely different bulb and housing, so this wouldn't be the problem. You may simply have a loose connection somewhere that is causing the problem.

It's also possible that they used the euro clear lamp fittings that are designed for the European cars. I seem to recall that the Euro cars have a different housing and bulb?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:08 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to remember my rear bulbs got reversed on one side, and it caused the fast blink. But Foxman has me second guessing... I don't recall exactly, but I think it's possible to cause it by putting the wrong bulb in the wrong socket.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:29 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 397 Posts

The electrical connector for the rear brake light is a three prong, while the connector for the rear turn signal is a two prong - so it's impossible to switch those connections. I'm not sure why they would have removed the bulbs (vs. the electrical connectors, or even the bulb housings), but it is possible to reverse the bulbs themselves.

Here are a few photos. Note the brake light has two square tabs and one angle tab, while the turn signal has one square tab and two angled tabs.

Brake light (by my thumb) has a three prong connector while turn signal (bottom of screen) has a two prong electrical connector

Brake light has two square tabs

Turn signal housing has two angled tabs and one square tab
Old 08-31-2016, 06:49 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
Anyone have any comment for me?
Check to see if all of your bulbs are sitting in the sockets correct. I had one
that some how wiggled loose and it did the rapid blink. I believe the car thought it was a single filament at that point.

Quick Reply: Rapid Turn Signals?