Sponsored by:

Whirring/Whining Noise and the fun that follows

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 10:32 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Whirring/Whining Noise and the fun that follows

Posted on 6Speed, so thought I would put it here as well..

Well...Was going to beef up the car a bit to get ready for the next no-fly-zone..On the way home from work....I started hearing a noise from the engine compartment....Sounded like maybe the idler pulley or something....

So I started taking it apart and listening and as luck would have it...the water pump! I ordered the part, and also changed plugs and a bunch of other stuff while I had/have access...pump should be in next week, and went ahead and got both idler pulleys while I am at it....Changed Plugs, Oil, and various other items including new silicon boost pipes...

Attached pics of the water pump for reference. Once you make access for yourself, it is not bad. I would hate to try this with engine in place

May put a DIY after done if I have time and if any interest....

DC

Old 08-14-2016, 11:33 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 365 Posts

Nice work.. How many miles on your car at this point? Have you had any issues with the coolant pipes?

Oh, and I for one vote that you do a DIY..

I've never opened up the cooling system on a 997.. Any special procedures to top it off after the R&R?
Old 08-15-2016, 08:47 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

Replaced and pinned all coolant pipes at 90K miles.

Glad I had the water pump replaced "while we are in there".
Old 08-15-2016, 10:46 AM
jaycm3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your DIY are awesome..please do one if you can. I presume mine will go out once you complete it lol.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:07 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

How far is the motor dropped there?
Old 08-15-2016, 02:10 PM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by saabin
Nice work.. How many miles on your car at this point? Have you had any issues with the coolant pipes?

Oh, and I for one vote that you do a DIY..

I've never opened up the cooling system on a 997.. Any special procedures to top it off after the R&R?
Thanks....Parts should be here in a few, and I hope to have it running again by next week.

To date, I have had no issues with cooling system at all (pipes included). I have a little over 46K (miles) on the car.

There is a procedure and a special piece of equipment to do the refill. I do not plan on buying that, and will carefully refill, get the system to engage, and use the bleed valve to get the system back up hopefully.

DC
Old 08-15-2016, 02:10 PM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Replaced and pinned all coolant pipes at 90K miles.

Glad I had the water pump replaced "while we are in there".
Good idea! I am sure you won't regret that decision

DC
Old 08-15-2016, 02:11 PM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by jaycm3
Your DIY are awesome..please do one if you can. I presume mine will go out once you complete it lol.
Well...I will try to put one together...and thanks for the compliment. However, I hope that does not cause yours to fail

DC
Old 08-15-2016, 02:24 PM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
How far is the motor dropped there?
Not sure exactly....did not measure it. It is about as far as you can safely lower it without disconnecting a few more items. I do have the motor mount bolts completely removed and the engine hanger removed as well as you can see. I could not imagine trying to get at those torx bolts without it lowered...plus there is a metal guard around it that makes it even more tricky...see pic below.

DC

Old 08-15-2016, 03:19 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 365 Posts

Never had the engine hanger piece off before.. Is that as easy to remove as it looks? Just 3 bolts?

I'm at almost the exact same mileage as you, so here's to hoping it will keep going a while longer :-) Although I should probably look for weeping coolant the next time I'm in there..

You mentioned silicon boost pipes.. you already did the do88 pipes, so which ones are you referencing?
Old 08-15-2016, 09:02 PM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by saabin
Never had the engine hanger piece off before.. Is that as easy to remove as it looks? Just 3 bolts?

I'm at almost the exact same mileage as you, so here's to hoping it will keep going a while longer :-) Although I should probably look for weeping coolant the next time I'm in there..

You mentioned silicon boost pipes.. you already did the do88 pipes, so which ones are you referencing?
Hi there...

The engine hanger uses 4 Star end bolts. You support the engine, remove both of the engine/motor mount nuts from the bottom of the motor mounts....Then take the four star bolts out (after exhaust is removed obviously). There are also two plastic grommets that secure the O2 sensor wires, that pull out from the top....But yes...pretty easy, and definitely worth it to gain the access.

Yeah...I hope yours does not go out. I actually never saw coolant (or did not notice)..I just heard the whirring sound and it was pretty loud, so I guess that was lucky. I found the two idler pulleys at ECS tuning very cheap also, so going to replace as well, while it is easy. Also bought a new Goodyear Belt recommended a while back, but now cannot find the damn thing...That is a sign, you have too much stuff

Also, I did do the do88 intake ducts previously. Now replacing the actual boost hoses from the intercooler, with some red silicone rubber ones. Doubt it will make any/much difference, but the red looks cool, and the OEM seem pretty soft.

Take care,
DC
Old 08-16-2016, 11:46 AM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

mine had to be replaced at 31k. small leak i was detecting my overflow tank was loosing water at a rate of 2 cups every thousand miles.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:52 AM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by sidwin
mine had to be replaced at 31k. small leak i was detecting my overflow tank was loosing water at a rate of 2 cups every thousand miles.
Interesting. Mine was not really noticable as I thought the level dropped from normal evaporative properties. Very little ever. But the pulley got very loud, so lucky I caught it with no plastic pieces in the cooling system! Part arrives tomorrow. Based on reading I got a Gates over OEM as they are supposed to be more reliable?

You can see the leak was very tiny...

DC

Old 08-16-2016, 01:00 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah mine was barely leaking. the first time i brought the car in they said they just topped off the fluid. 3 months later and only 600 miles i noticed it was 2 cup low again. never saw water on the ground. but i knew that wasn't right. i forced them to do a leak test and they saw it. CPO saved the day
Old 08-18-2016, 08:26 AM
heliflyer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by therock88

May put a DIY after done if I have time and if any interest....
Definite interest for the DIY - yours are the best I have seen anywhere and have got me out of trouble several times!!!

Quick Reply: Whirring/Whining Noise and the fun that follows