Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have their fire extinguishing system randomly take a crap??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 10:27 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Old 08-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

well, good news-bad news. i got the bottle back to SPA and they said the firing pin had been fired. (still think there is a fault there) i just happened to be in the indy area working for the week and they offered to have me visit and see the bottle test fired. refilled, rearmed. first attempt was a dud. the initiator fired, but the AFFF did not spray. that's the bad. very bad. had i needed this, it wouldn't have been there..so the mystery leakage was a blessing in disguise. they looked it over and replaced a part they thought the culprit. test fire 2....initiated, but was very weak output. the good...they built another bottle, test fired successfully, recharged and shipped out. they were very open and helpful, and concerned.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:54 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,906 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull_D
well, good news-bad news. i got the bottle back to SPA and they said the firing pin had been fired. (still think there is a fault there) i just happened to be in the indy area working for the week and they offered to have me visit and see the bottle test fired. refilled, rearmed. first attempt was a dud. the initiator fired, but the AFFF did not spray. that's the bad. very bad. had i needed this, it wouldn't have been there..so the mystery leakage was a blessing in disguise. they looked it over and replaced a part they thought the culprit. test fire 2....initiated, but was very weak output. the good...they built another bottle, test fired successfully, recharged and shipped out. they were very open and helpful, and concerned.
That is kinda scary! I am going to look at what system I have installed.

The problem is you can't really have a real test of these systems until it is too late.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:57 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

electric activated. spa technique. foam dribble out of nozzles. no doubt the source of the puddles. no kids, no dog. first wife 18 months ago. i'm 54. almost made it to the finish line after she took out the audi motor running over a "tennis ball" sized rock, she is banished from the man cave
Sounds like most marriages Pal. Have missed seeing you around the paddock. Hope things clear up and you're back on track soon.
I have manually activated fire system, so never experienced this - have heard it happens with some frequency on the electric system.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:35 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
Sounds like most marriages Pal. Have missed seeing you around the paddock. Hope things clear up and you're back on track soon.
I have manually activated fire system, so never experienced this - have heard it happens with some frequency on the electric system.
thanks. been lots of adult stuff on my plate. house on the market and my mom had a small stroke a few weeks ago. this issue wasn't with the electrical part of the system, it was with the dip tube and the valve at the top. i believe they are the same on both types.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:06 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
That is kinda scary! I am going to look at what system I have installed.

The problem is you can't really have a real test of these systems until it is too late.
Agreed......I am going to install a second system now after reading this.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:47 AM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

thanks. been lots of adult stuff on my plate. house on the market and my mom had a small stroke a few weeks ago. this issue wasn't with the electrical part of the system, it was with the dip tube and the valve at the top. i believe they are the same on both types.
Sorry to hear that about your Mom. Hope things improve for her.

Quick Reply: Anybody have their fire extinguishing system randomly take a crap??