Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

SPBDA meetings

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:21 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Split starts are safer than running with all the different classed cars.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:33 AM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Split starts. These need to happen

I'm becoming more and more irritated having to run defensive lines and make deep braking passes on these back marker 911s to get to my competition, this weekend was a non stop example of that
How do you like these apples?
https://vimeo.com/176407112

That was my life the entire weekend.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:28 AM
loxner

You were going to win no matter what with that pace you were putting down (which left me in complete awe btw - offline would love to talk on how you approach racing I have lots to learn). Even with split start you would rear view us within a lap

but p2 - p5 really came down to where those back marker 911s were placed between us given the few tenths of lap time deltas between Drake, Foley, Gillin and I.
Thanks Matt. I was lucky to have thrown down a burner lap in the first session. It put me far enough up the field to have clear track (at least for a couple laps) in the rest of the sessions. The problem is that even if someone had matched my pace later in the weekend, they wouldn't have been able to do anything with it due to already being stuck back in the field behind slower traffic.

Originally Posted by FeuerRacing
How do you like these apples?
https://vimeo.com/176407112

That was my life the entire weekend.

Love the corkscrew pass
Old 07-29-2016, 05:19 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any plans for a "mtg" at Indy?
Old 07-30-2016, 08:48 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

NAPA Power Sport Battery - PSB 16CLB - NAPA Auto Parts - $70

This battery works fine on an SPB. https://www.napaonline.com/p/SBB16CLB

On a trickle charger use the Motorcycle setting.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:09 PM
KnowSomeStuff
Rennlist Member

Doug/C4 Pazzo.. Can you update the thread with what was said/discussed at the Laguna meeting?
Old 08-04-2016, 03:12 PM
KnowSomeStuff
Rennlist Member

+1 split starts..

Don't forget.. the drivers have the power within the club. Take 20-25 cars off grid and it sends a signal to PCA (don't sign up for an event) and warn others to hold out. 20-25 entry fees is a huge dent in the money grab.

NorCal had huge issues running with PRC. They took 10-15 cars off grid and sat back and watched. PRC would send out emails BEGGING for the SPB group to come back..
Old 08-04-2016, 03:20 PM
KnowSomeStuff
Rennlist Member

Chris/Feuer

The black Boxster with the wing has a 330hp 3.4 in it. Can you tell? lol. He also had a coach.. whom I'll speak with.

I stood in the Sunday drivers meeting.. not one time did I hear "if a car is on your bumper and NOT in class let him go". If they are so adamant about not doing split starts? Then they need to address the guys in fast cars who park it in the corners (during the drivers meeting) if they don't? then a SPB person needs to....
Old 08-05-2016, 01:57 AM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We had a good turnout for the SPBDA meeting at Laguna. For me, the best part was meeting some drivers from other regions. Besides enjoying good company and beverages and snacks courtesy of the NorCal SPB crew, we discussed the 2017 SPB rules proposals. I'd be interested in hearing the views of other attendees, but my take is that there were mixed opinions on the springs and spacers proposals (with some skepticism of any benefit from either), and no expressed opposition to the battery proposal. In any case, the important thing is to state your preferences by August 15 via email to crrules@pca.org.

Later in the weekend, there was seemingly unanimous support among the racers for split starts to facilitate in-class spec racing while minimizing interference with other class races.

Doug
Old 08-05-2016, 07:44 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I would agree on split starts. On the East Coast however, we seem to have split starts for most race's I attend. I can't remember the last mixed start I did.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:32 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
I would agree on split starts. On the East Coast however, we seem to have split starts for most race's I attend. I can't remember the last mixed start I did.
We can thank the 944 cup guys for that. Their agreement with PCA says they get a split start when possible I think. The only races we get that aren't split is when we are with the letter cars.

Any bets on how the split starts go at NJMP this year?
Old 08-05-2016, 12:52 PM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

I spoke to Vicki personally about this at Laguna Seca (Luke in tow) and she was very clear on her positioning and that the scruts were being updated so they can be consistent.
  1. No class would have split starts going forward - even the 944s i believe
  2. She didn't feel there was a safety issue and cited some examples of SPBs having situations even with split starts
  3. She stated the "geography is earned" and if you have three cars of another class between you and the next car in your class that was earned and should be part of your strategy for qualifying
  4. She knows there's been inconsistency even that weekend during Laguna with other races happening that weekend and that would be cleaned up
While I would rather have split starts - I'd rather it just be consistent either way and will deal with it. She was very clear and direct on the communication so if you feel passionate about it - she's available for an email or phone call and will certainly hear you out. She heard from people on the contact during a race and reporting to black flag afterwards to not ruin your race and that was changed which I think was way more controversial than this issue and that seemed to have not had a negative impact on the race track.

But at some point - it needs to move from this forum to Vicki for consideration.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:37 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by FeuerRacing
I spoke to Vicki personally about this at Laguna Seca (Luke in tow) and she was very clear on her positioning and that the scruts were being updated so they can be consistent.
  1. No class would have split starts going forward - even the 944s i believe
  2. She didn't feel there was a safety issue and cited some examples of SPBs having situations even with split starts
  3. She stated the "geography is earned" and if you have three cars of another class between you and the next car in your class that was earned and should be part of your strategy for qualifying
  4. She knows there's been inconsistency even that weekend during Laguna with other races happening that weekend and that would be cleaned up
While I would rather have split starts - I'd rather it just be consistent either way and will deal with it. She was very clear and direct on the communication so if you feel passionate about it - she's available for an email or phone call and will certainly hear you out. She heard from people on the contact during a race and reporting to black flag afterwards to not ruin your race and that was changed which I think was way more controversial than this issue and that seemed to have not had a negative impact on the race track.

But at some point - it needs to move from this forum to Vicki for consideration.
I appreciate her view, but she misses the point that she runs a business and we are her biggest customer (other than cayman clubsport) for total group of fees. We should also remember that. I dont suspect PCA club racing would be a viable entity if the spec boxsters went elsewhere.

I want to race other boxsters, not get held up with other classes. That is my understanding of how you become a better racer

Re safety, yes I haven't hit any of these dudes, but I have flown off the track and did damage to my car when a GT4 parked it at Thunderhill (in T8 in the rain at over 90mph which wasnt a joyful experience), and have had to hit the ABS on the brakes and pray I dont wack the spec911 ahead of me when they do something irrational.

Also ask the three SPBS that all hit one another when a spec911 racer lost it

I am just a newbie with a grand total of 5 race weekends to my name, but my limited experience has me enjoying bumper to bumper with a SPB working out how to make a pass versus making myself as wide as possible down each straightaway

I will defer to you seasoned pros on this, but that is my .02 cents
Old 08-14-2016, 02:12 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 526 Posts

I appreciate her view, but she misses the point that she runs a business and we are her biggest customer (other than cayman clubsport) for total group of fees.
AFAIK - PCA National is not a business. The race proceeds minus expenses (including those for National Staff travel) go to the respective region organizing the event. Also, every large class would love their own run group and people are always complaining about being co-mingled with slower or faster classes. Frankly, that's just racing, whether at the amateur or pro level. People get upset by slower drivers in faster cars holding them up but you need to get over it. If you want your own race group at the amateur level GTD is your answer. I'm all for split starts if they can be practically incorporated and I think that's what we're going to see in PCA Club Racing.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:39 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
AFAIK - PCA National is not a business. The race proceeds minus expenses (including those for National Staff travel) go to the respective region organizing the event. Also, every large class would love their own run group and people are always complaining about being co-mingled with slower or faster classes. Frankly, that's just racing, whether at the amateur or pro level. People get upset by slower drivers in faster cars holding them up but you need to get over it. If you want your own race group at the amateur level GTD is your answer. I'm all for split starts if they can be practically incorporated and I think that's what we're going to see in PCA Club Racing.
Sure it is, its just a non-profit.

Revenue must exceed costs for it to exist.

It's nothing to do with being co-mingled with the speed of the class and everything to do with having people who are racing that should be in DE on the track

Quick Reply: SPBDA meetings