Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:23 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Photos & Info // Custom Radar Detector & Laser Jamming Kit for 991

As some of you know, we recently started offering custom-built kits for integrating high-performance radar/laser defense systems into the 991/981 platforms. The goal is to give anyone the ability to get the same level of craftsmanship seen in our Portland, OR projects. They come pre-built with all the gear and custom fabrication so that a local installer can easily integrate everything.

We recently put together a kit for a client on the east coast with a 2015 C4S Cab. After some email exchange we designed a system that incorporated a Beltronics STiR+ "stealth" radar detector and a quad-head laser jamming system from Anti-Laser Priority.

The Process

The first step was for the client to send us a few parts from the car. For this particular application that included the button pad in the center console and the shroud above the rear-view mirror. Typically we would also need the ashtray but this car came without the Smoker's Package, so we provided the factory Porsche ash tray for the conversion. Here are some photos of our work before the kit shipped out to the client.

Controller Housing
Integrated With Smoker's Package

For the controllers on this system we machine a composite panel that is designed to fit perfectly into the factory ash tray. We remove the OEM insert and machine an opening for the wiring below. That way everything can go back to factory in the future if needed.

Display Module
Custom Machined Acrylic

In the coupes we replace the factory overhead blank panel with an acrylic window, but the Targas and Cabs use that spot for the retractable top hook. Because of that, we machine a custom housing from cast acrylic. The end part is painted to match the OEM plastics and the smoke'd glass facing allows the red display to show through.

Stealth Control
Modified OEM Blank Buttons

Since the main control is hidden within the smoker's package, having a way to control the system with the ash tray door closed is helpful. For that reason we converted a couple of the blank buttons in the console to usable buttons for the "MUTE" and "Jammer Shutdown" functions.

Rear Laser Mounts
Replacement License Plate Substrate

To mount the rear jammers in a way that doesn't require modification of the car and doesn't degrade the performance, we fabricate a composite plate that lowers the license plate by a half inch to accommodate the jammers mounted above. A provision for a factory camera or add on camera is incorporated into the top edge.

The Installation
Retrofitting the Musicar Kit into the 991

Once we built and finished this kit it was shipped off to our good friend Matt Schaffer at Safe & Sound Mobile Electronics in Chantilly, VA. Matt did a phenomenal job of installing that various components we sent. He also build a set of one-off front laser mounts for this car(since our kits don't come with them). Matt was also kind enough to take some stellar photos of the final results.

Matt's custom work

Anyone looking for a similar setup can contact me via PM or email at nick.akin@musicarnw.com
Old 07-28-2016, 11:01 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

The work that you guys do is absolutely fantastic. I wish you guys had a branch in NY!!!!! In one sense i'm glad because then I would easily be 10K poorer if you were .
Old 07-29-2016, 12:05 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by bmedude
The work that you guys do is absolutely fantastic. I wish you guys had a branch in NY!!!!! In one sense i'm glad because then I would easily be 10K poorer if you were .
I've bought packages and parts from Nick and had my local shop do the install. These guys rock!
Old 07-29-2016, 12:08 AM
STG
Race Director

Unbelievable! Are these new?? I like better than the brackets you did on the GTS. This looks totally OEM.

Might have to upgrade at some point. I need to think about it. Amazing as always.

Looking at this forum is costly $$$$$

Old 07-29-2016, 12:25 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hahah, thanks STG. Those are actually some one-off mounts that the installing shop in Virginia built for the guy. The fabricator is one of our good friends and one of the best in the country — phenomenal work.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:51 AM
STG
Race Director

Getting exposed to work like this is what makes forums worth following. Keep us posted on any upcoming projects.

Once again
Old 07-29-2016, 06:00 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,185 Likes on 712 Posts

Great stuff Nick. Exceptional workmanship and attention to detail. In a word -- "SWEET"!
Old 07-29-2016, 06:05 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome stuffs...just got my kit today, but can't install til this Sunday...bummer. Totally incredible craftsmanship!!! Well worth the attention to detail that was put into their designs.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:06 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 704 Likes on 492 Posts

Amazing engineering. Unfortunately I couldn't install this in my province. Detectors and jammers are illegal. If a cop hits my plate and gets a jammed reading and decides to pull me over to investigate, he'll have a field day pulling my car apart to take all of the "evidence" out. Cops read these forums too. I'll have to settle for speeding in areas where traditionally speed limits aren't enforced.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:30 PM
cliffd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, you've got me interested, how much is the kit? Thanks, beautiful work.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:24 AM
etrexler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

This is my vehicle and the work is flawless. Nick at Musicar and Matt at Safe and Sound Mobile Electronics were phenomenal. I can't tell you how great these guys were and they worked well together. I desired a 100% OEM look and they totally delivered.

The work is a 10 out of 10. I'm actually considering a custom audio system based on the work that Matt completed. If anyone has any questions about the process, feel free to reach out.

Eric
Old 07-30-2016, 12:28 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by etrexler
Guys,

This is my vehicle and the work is flawless. Nick at Musicar and Matt at Safe and Sound Mobile Electronics were phenomenal. I can't tell you how great these guys were and they worked well together. I desired a 100% OEM look and they totally delivered.

The work is a 10 out of 10. I'm actually considering a custom audio system based on the work that Matt completed. If anyone has any questions about the process, feel free to reach out.

Eric

Correction .....

Respectfully, looks like a 12 out of 10!

Looking super and great choice of guys to work with.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:35 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cliffd
OK, you've got me interested, how much is the kit? Thanks, beautiful work.
Happy to get you the info, just shoot me a PM or an email with the details on your car.

Guys,

Eric
Thanks for the review Eric, I'm really glad you like the kit and you lucked out finding a great installer in your backyard.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:50 AM
Shawn C
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Incredible work!
Do you guys have anyone you can recommend that can add a backup camera to PCM for me in Florida? Looking for a quality shop like you guys.
Also is it possible to add Apple car play to earlier 2014 PCM?
Old 12-10-2017, 09:22 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys,

Eric
Congrats, wow - what a great install!!

Definitely get the audio, I'd love to see how they integrate this in the cabrio!

Quick Reply: Photos & Info // Custom Radar Detector & Laser Jamming Kit for 991