Sponsored by:

(Another) Caliper rebuild thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 12:51 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default (Another) Caliper rebuild thread

Teaser: About to rebuild my calipers. First pic of the parts. Ordered rebuild kit from racingbrake.com.

Front kit

Rear kit

Pics of unboxing below. As you will probably note, my box was missing the seals, but I've got an email out to them and I'm confident they'll get here soon. They have great customer service. [EDIT: as I was typing this post, I got an email from their customer service - on a Sunday (Confirming how good their customer service is)!! The seals are in the dust boots. So - I found 'em. They were overlooked due to operator error!]

Project will start very soon. I'll try to take a lot of pics and do another write up for posterity.

-td

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1802
Size:  2.26 MB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  718.2 KB
Old 07-10-2016, 01:03 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,088 Posts

soak the seals in brake fluid.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:06 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Best of Luck! It is a royal pain getting all 6 of the old pistons out even with an air compressor. You will have to block off the open ports until all are out. Since you are replacing the old pistons it should be easier because you will not have to worry about hard pulling / scratching.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:08 AM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

No ceramic pucks incl in those kits?

Just an FYI:
My car has 50K miles and I just bought 4 brand new calipers, EZ bolt on.
$3,200. Good to go.
Sold old ones for $600, so net $2,600, perfect as new, pretty red, ready to rock, and no hassle. Brakes are so important on track, why mess around?
Just my $ 2 cents....
Old 07-13-2016, 09:26 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Correct. These are upgraded parts and don't have the pucks.

I'm confident that I don't need new caliper. Mine were working just fine. The seals are old and worn, as are the dust boots. I was going to replace just those parts, but figured I'd get new pistons at the same time. Easy project to wrench on as well. And after this round of projects, I've paid for my lift . I suppose I could have gotten new calipers, but it seemed like overkill for my car - and no need to replace working parts IMO.

-td

Originally Posted by CanyonBlaster
No ceramic pucks incl in those kits?

Just an FYI:
My car has 50K miles and I just bought 4 brand new calipers, EZ bolt on.
$3,200. Good to go.
Sold old ones for $600, so net $2,600, perfect as new, pretty red, ready to rock, and no hassle. Brakes are so important on track, why mess around?
Just my $ 2 cents....
Old 07-13-2016, 01:43 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I'd buy a set of used calipers for $600, buy 2 sets of rebuild kits, rebuild the first, replace, rebuild the second and sell for $1,500, no out of pocket expense, just sweat and knowledge. Sounds good to me. Are there any used sets out there for $600? Please let me know.

Cheers!

Just checked the links above and find that a full set of rebuild kits for all 4 is $900, so with the price of a used set of calipers ($600) the total to do it yourself is $1,500 vs $3,200 for new, so really a $1,700 difference...
Old 07-17-2016, 12:02 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
Correct. These are upgraded parts and don't have the pucks.

-td
Want to sell your old pucks?
Old 07-22-2016, 12:04 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Track goers prefer to rebuild their calipers with RB rebuilding components to make their OE calipers work harder and last longer.

For the same functionality RB uses fewer component than OE's complicated set up, makes your rebuilding job easy and less confusion.

RB's stainless steel pistons transmit only about 1/10 of heat in comparison to OE's aluminum piston, keep your brake fluid temperature low and reduce the frequency of fluid replacement.

Join hundreds of other Porsche owners and tune your calipers for their peak performance.

http://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7185.htm

Parts are in stock for ex-stock shipment.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:55 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

^^ A friend has rebuilt his GT3 calipers using RB kit and SS pistons and was happy with the results.

Consequently, other friends are about to order, as am I.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:21 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
Best of Luck! It is a royal pain getting all 6 of the old pistons out even with an air compressor. You will have to block off the open ports until all are out. Since you are replacing the old pistons it should be easier because you will not have to worry about hard pulling / scratching.
zeckhausen racing has specialty pliers specifically made for removing caliper pistons without marring them up.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:12 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Couple of points & questions.

I use a somewhat narrow piece of wood and compressed air. the wood goes in the center and is sized to prevent the pucks from falling out - so they are mostly extended and they can be pulled out the remaining way.

RB: I know that stainless conducts less quickly that AL, but what about the ceramic inserts, I would think that these are a better insulator than SS, then of course, there are Ti shims...

Ray
Old 07-25-2016, 06:47 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

RB pistons are cut from one solid piece of Stainless Steel which works out better compare to some different OE piston set up (especially for two two piece construction which are supposed to lower the heat transfer; as they "glued", "screwed" or "press" together while they are not the same material, and with different heat expansion rate, so after some good heat cycles they tend to separate or crack.

BMW 135i piston cracked and most track people replaced them with RB rebuild kit w/SS pistons

GTR with metallic tip separates.

Before separation.

After separation.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:53 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wish they had a trade in offer.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:39 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Finished the caliper rebuild last weekend. I was actually surprised at how easy it ended up being - well, except for the very last part (see below). A few lessons learned that might be useful for others:
  • Getting the calipers disconnected from the car requires a flare nut wrench. It's virtually impossible without it (because you'll round off the nut)
  • Getting the pistons out is fairly easy with an air compressor and a blower nozzle. When you get one out, just put it back in a little and use a speed clamp to hold it there. Pop the next one out and repeat. Don't put them in too deep or they'll be hard to ultimately remove. If you get them jammed back in a little too far - you'll have to wiggle them pretty good to get them out.
  • use a couple shop towels over the top of the caliper and where you have the blower nozzle because some fluid will shoot out when each piston pops.
  • be sure you have enough pressure in the tank. If you don't you'll do what I did the first time and pressurize the caliper but none of the pistons will eject. When you remove the nozzle, the caliper will back-spew brake fluid everywhere.
  • the dust boots come out with a small flat head and a little leverage.
  • the internal seals come out with a small hook. I had a set of spring hooks that worked great.
  • getting the seals back in was also simple if you soaked them in a little brake fluid first and then pushed one side into the recess for the seal and hold it there while you push the opposite side into the caliper.
  • with the RB brake kit, getting the dust boots on was as simple as stretching them onto a piston and then pulling down.
  • getting the piston back into the caliper requires using a little force on oppsite sides of the piston and then rotating 90 degrees and pushing down on both sides again. When you get the piston started, it will go down pretty easily
  • I did one caliper in about 45 minutes - trying to do it very carefully and learning the process.
  • I then set up a little assembly line and did the other 3 calipers in about 45 minutes. Total rebuild time, 1.5 hours - not including a little time to simple green [soak/scrub] the calipers.
  • completely flushed brakes and then bled them twice.

All of the internals were in almost perfect shape. No marring or wear on the sides of the piston holes below the seals. And, all the seals looked like they were in perfect shape still. There were a couple holes that had a little spot of wear at the external side - above the seal and below the dust boot (like something got under the dust boot briefly). They didn't impact the piston movement, but you could see a little shiny area. I used a little 2000 grit sand paper and removed any high spots.

The big uh-oh came when I was reinstalling the last caliper. One of the caliper bolts starting spinning in the wheel carrier - stripped out the aluminum. Doh! I ordered the timesert kit and a caliper studs all the way around to take care of that issue forever. Tarret has awesome stuff!

Overall, the technical skill needed was less than 5 out of 10. Just a little patience and some basic tools. Racing Brake parts fit perfectly. Happy with the product and the results!

FFaust - you need a puck? Shoot me a pm!

-td
Old 08-18-2016, 12:07 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Glad to know it went well.

PM sent.

Quick Reply: (Another) Caliper rebuild thread