Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera 4.0 Build w/ Fully Active Suspension, Custom Exhaust, Track Package

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 03:19 PM
TPC Racing
Former Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Carrera 4.0 Build w/ Fully Active Suspension, Custom Exhaust, Track Package

TPC Racing Carrera 4.0 Build

997.2 C4 gets 4.0 engine, DSC/Tractive DDA active suspension, track package, custom exhaust, and GT3 cup body kit

With all of the custom work that went into this car, a lot of people are going to ask why the owner didn't just sell it and upgrade to a GT3. The owner of the car received it as a gift from his father, who is no longer able to drive it. His one wish was that he doesn't sell the car.

Being used to high horsepower cars, the owner knew he wanted some more power for it. Aware that it is the best platform for a track car that he has, he also wanted to maximize its fullest potential in every way. After spending a great deal of time going over the various options we had for building the car, he decided to go with a rebuilt 4.0 engine, as he prefers a NA-powered car. We complimented this with some work on the intake system.

Wanting to be able to track the car without sacrificing streetability, the owner decided to go with the DSC Sport/Tractive DDA active suspension package. We were able to replace the switch panel with a factory PASM switch panel for factory-like mode selection and dash display.

It was a really exciting build that also allowed us to lay sound groundwork for some products that we will be developing in the near future. It was also just another option to build a totally unique and awesome car. And while it is just cosmetic, I personally love the looks of the car with the GT3 body work.

Engine
• Stroker Crank
• H-beam 4130 connecting rods for stroker crank
• (bearing set/rod bearing, ring set, seal set w/ O rings
• Donor engine from 991S 3.8 engine
• Custom grind cams, GT3 spec
• CNC cylinder head port matching & 3-angle valve job

We started with a donor engine from a 3.8 991 CS that had suffered a top end fire. It looked pretty bad, but as we broke it down we confirmed the bottom end was still in great condition. We disassembled the engine and cleaned it in a hot tank. After reassembling the engine, it looked new.

Above: Delivery of donor engine

Above and Below: Stroker Crank and connecting rods

Intake System
• 991 GT3 Intake Manifold
• Modified Stock Airbox
• CNC Adapter Plates

The intake system on this project is pretty interesting, as it actually laid the ground work for a much-needed stage 2 power package we're developing for the GT4. We will be adapting a GT3 intake manifold and throttle body to the GT4, using the CNC adapter plates developed for this project. It will be paired with a Cobb Tuning Accessport custom TPC Racing ECU tune.

Below: Head work to fit CNC adapters to GT3 intake manifold

Below: Modifying airbox to fit with GT3 intake manifold

Suspension
TPC Racing 997 Pro Race Adjustable Sway Bars
TPC Racing Pro Adjustable Rear Toe Links
TPC Racing Front Wide Track Kit
- GT3 Cup Control Arms
- Front Axle Extension
- Widen Front Track Width by 26mm
TPC Racing Adjustable Thrust Arm Bushings
• TPC Solid Rear Subframe Bushing Kit

Active Suspension Package
DSC Sport SA(Stand Alone) Kit
- DSC Sport SA controller
- DSC Sport SA Wiring Harness
• Factory switch panel with PASM
Tractive DDA Coilover Kit with Swift Springs 60/110nm

The customer decided to make the jump to an active suspension. As the car did not come with PASM, we used the DSC Sport Stand Alone Kit that includes a wiring harness, making the transformation simple and straightforward. What was really cool is we were able to order a factory switch panel that features the PASM button. This way, the customer is able to select his DSC mode using the factory PASM controls, and it will display on the dash just as it would from the factory. The customer also decided to go with the Tractive DDA coilovers - the pinnacle of quality and performance in active suspension technology.

Below: Non-PASM vs. PASM factory switch panel

Brake System
• GT3 Master Cylinder
• GT3 Brake Booster
• 997 Turbo Front 6-piston brake calipers (red)
• 997 Turbo front rotor, 350mm
• 997 Turbo Rear 4-piston brake calipers (red)
• 997 Turbo rear rotors, 350mm
Pagid RS 29 Front&Rear Pads

The red calipers stealing the show behind the OZ wheels

Exhaust
• 991 GTS 3.8/X51 Exhaust Manifold
• 997 GT3 Center Muffler
Custom modified TPC Racing GT3 Active Side Muffler Bypass Pipes

To connect the 991 X51 Exhaust Manifold to the GT3 Center Muffler, we fabricated a modified version of our GT3 Side Muffler Bypass Pipes, available for the 997 and 991 GT3. This allowed us to maintain the active exhaust functionality.

Safety/Track Prep
• DAS Sport Roll Bar
• Aim Solo/SmartyCam
• GT3 Seats
• Rennline Front & Rear motorsport tow hooks
• Sparco 6-point Harness

Custom Body Work
• 997.2 GT3 Cup Frong & Rear Bumper Cover
• 997.2 GT3 Cup Side Skirts and Fender Flares
• 997.2 GT3 Rear Wing & Deck Lid

Last edited by TPC Racing; 07-14-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:52 PM
nismosd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing transformation!!! Thanks for sharing
Old 07-14-2016, 04:01 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

I hope this guy is a RL member and will be flaunting this thing egregiously.

Also, can you explain how you're controlling the active exhaust via the DSC sport tuning software? I thought DSC was limited to the PASM control module. Since this is custom is the wiring for the active exhaust going to the DSC PASM module too?

Last edited by nwGTS; 07-14-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:31 PM
Thedips
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just stunning . Very cool build with a great story enjoy it
Old 07-14-2016, 04:39 PM
TPC Racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nwGTS

I hope this guy is a RL member and will be flaunting this thing egregiously.

Also, can you explain how you're controlling the active exhaust via the DSC sport tuning software? I thought DSC was limited to the PASM control module. Since this is custom is the wiring for the active exhaust going to the DSC PASM module too?
I don't believe he is, unfortunately. But he's a great guy, so I'll do my best to keep in touch and post updates. I also would like to put a video together, but I need some more shots of the car in motion in order to make it interesting.

Regarding the active exhaust control...Sorry, but I was misinformed when I originally typed this (editing original post after this). I thought one of the techs told me we had done this, but I believe it was just discussed. Ultimately, it was decided that it's not worth it to the customer. However, we CAN do it. In fact, there is an exhaust table that comes standard on the Viper DSC Sport package.

The DSC controller has extra drivers that we don't utilize for the suspension tuning. With those, we can essentially control anything via the DSC software. For instance, one project we may do in the future is create a boost control table. That way for turbo engines the boost can be controlled based on a variety of conditions (rpm, vehicle speed, etc.).
Old 07-14-2016, 05:24 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TPC Racing
I don't believe he is, unfortunately. But he's a great guy, so I'll do my best to keep in touch and post updates. I also would like to put a video together, but I need some more shots of the car in motion in order to make it interesting.

Regarding the active exhaust control...Sorry, but I was misinformed when I originally typed this (editing original post after this). I thought one of the techs told me we had done this, but I believe it was just discussed. Ultimately, it was decided that it's not worth it to the customer. However, we CAN do it. In fact, there is an exhaust table that comes standard on the Viper DSC Sport package.

The DSC controller has extra drivers that we don't utilize for the suspension tuning. With those, we can essentially control anything via the DSC software. For instance, one project we may do in the future is create a boost control table. That way for turbo engines the boost can be controlled based on a variety of conditions (rpm, vehicle speed, etc.).
Thanks for the explanation. I see valves so is it still controlled by the OEM PSE button on the console?
Old 07-14-2016, 05:29 PM
TPC Racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Thanks for the explanation. I see valves so is it still controlled by the OEM PSE button on the console?
Yes
Old 07-14-2016, 06:04 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts

Sweet!! I am doing a 4L rebuild on my 997.1 3.8. Adding x51 headers, 200 cell cats, gt3 TB and comp plenum but wow this takes it to a whole new level. And man that must be a pretty penny for all that work

Any dyno's on increase in hp or tq from the stock 991?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2016, 11:26 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very cool! Well done guys.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:40 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 226 Posts

Holy crap, that looks expensive....
Old 07-15-2016, 12:43 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,801 Likes on 876 Posts

Absolutely amazing!
Old 07-15-2016, 01:02 AM
sub150
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad ***. Any sound clips from the new engine and exhaust?
Old 07-15-2016, 01:24 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Shall we play guessing games with how much?
Including install and custom electronics....
Suspension: $18k
Exhaust: $4k
Wheels and tires: $3k
Body and paint: $15k
Engine: $30k (including core rebate)
Brakes: $10k
That's my guess.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:28 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Giddyup! Very very nice! I would love to take a spin in that.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:19 AM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 112 Posts

Wow. Simply Amazing. Crazy transformation. I wish i had the funds to do a build like this one. Very good work Tom! Wish there was a shop like this local to me.

Quick Reply: Carrera 4.0 Build w/ Fully Active Suspension, Custom Exhaust, Track Package