Sponsored by:

Side window trim repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 12:31 PM
LSV
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Side window trim repair

After 3000mi, I saw that the side window trim of my 991-50 is not perfectly finished on the left side: there's about 3mm gap between the 2 meeting sides (over the rear quarter window).
I went to the my PC and ask to fix it. I thougt about 10 minutes of poping-out + bending.

Well no, they told that the body moved a lit bit and they will change the whole kit (only one ref.) under warranty: side trim L and R + rubber AND both windows. 3 full days... It's a really expensive operation.

My piece of advice: if somebody (valet, kid...) is responsible for the damage (ding, scratch) of your polished window trim, don't say it doesn't matter and you'll fix it in a brisk.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:09 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

Take a picture and post please.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2014, 03:48 PM
LSV
Advanced

Here we go:
Attached Images    
Old 08-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

That looks pretty severe, and I couldn't live with it. Glad they are taking care of it under warranty.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you can replace them under warranty.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:09 AM
PsychicDreamer
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, what's the color on your car?

It looks great.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:27 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSV
Well no, they told that the body moved a lit bit and they will change the whole kit (only one ref.).
Are they saying that the body flexed and bent the trim?
Old 08-14-2014, 04:37 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine was kinda off too when I got it, i pop it back into place, same place like the pics display on passenger side. The metal trim is not in all the way and rubber trim push it out, so just massage the rubber trim and push it into place then the metal end just push it push it in. Took me 5 minutes instead of taking it to the dealer, too much hassle really.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:15 PM
LSV
Advanced

It´s a graphite 911-50.

Yes, they told that parts could settle a bit, once the car used on the road. I checked the G-meter max figures: about 0.9G four directions. So no abuse.

I tried the "massage" too. Trouble is back on the next day. I'm not that much pleased to see my car dismantled but living 2 mi away from dealer makes it easier.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:00 AM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I noticed mine is off on the passenger side as well. What is the resolution? How can i DIY fix it?
Old 07-08-2016, 01:03 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
I noticed mine is off on the passenger side as well. What is the resolution? How can i DIY fix it?
Upper trim piece needs to be taken off and realigned to close the gap. Lots of clips and easy to bend it when removing.

Lower piece is fixed and part of the window assembly.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:17 AM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Originally Posted by STG
Upper trim piece needs to be taken off and realigned to close the gap. Lots of clips and easy to bend it when removing.

Lower piece is fixed and part of the window assembly.
You think it's safe to DIY or better off to just get the dealer to fix it? Also BTW, are these under warranty? I also notice my tailight have some of the red fell out exposing white at the bottom, not noticeable unless you stick your face to it, but since I notice it, now i want it replaced, but not sure if they are under warranty. BMW typically fixes everything under warranty and I never had to guess, but I don't know what to expect with Porsche as they keep being vague about their warranty.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:36 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

You think it's safe to DIY or better off to just get the dealer to fix it? Also BTW, are these under warranty? I also notice my tailight have some of the red fell out exposing white at the bottom, not noticeable unless you stick your face to it, but since I notice it, now i want it replaced, but not sure if they are under warranty. BMW typically fixes everything under warranty and I never had to guess, but I don't know what to expect with Porsche as they keep being vague about their warranty.
I'd have dealer do it. If they screw it up, let them replace the piece at their expense.

Post pics of tails. You should be able to get those taken care of. You are right though, never know what to expect with some of these dealers.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:34 AM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Originally Posted by STG
I'd have dealer do it. If they screw it up, let them replace the piece at their expense.

Post pics of tails. You should be able to get those taken care of. You are right though, never know what to expect with some of these dealers.
I think i am OCD as usual with cars. I try to get a pic and I can't seem to get a working one. Visible if you look with your eyes but can't seem to show in photos, will try again.

I found another misalignment with the rear spoilers and looked at some other 991 and they had them too, checked out some Youtube videos, some have them too, i am really curious what's up with Porsche quality control, are they good like they claim?

Old 07-09-2016, 09:45 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I think i am OCD as usual with cars. I try to get a pic and I can't seem to get a working one. Visible if you look with your eyes but can't seem to show in photos, will try again.

I found another misalignment with the rear spoilers and looked at some other 991 and they had them too, checked out some Youtube videos, some have them too, i am really curious what's up with Porsche quality control, are they good like they claim?

My spoiler corners are up a bit like that too... bothers me whenever I notice it.

Quick Reply: Side window trim repair