Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inboard LCA bolt backed out on 997... uncommon/common?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 02:39 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Inboard LCA bolt backed out on 997... uncommon/common?

Has anyone heard that the inboard LCA bolt on 987 and 997s has a tendency to backout if tracked frequently? I discovered this on the right LCA during a routine check after I had some steering wander.

My race shop told me this is not uncommon as the flanges on the subframe of Carreras/Boxsters/Caymans are too thin for aggressive tracking and can flex a lot. The cup cars actually have thicker flanges there to prevent as much flex. He recommended we use a new lock nut, lock washers and loctite as a mid term solution. Long term solution is to weld a bit more material to the flange to thicken it and prevent flex.

I realize that a tracked car needs to be checked and retorqued after every couple sessions and even more so if you are riding the curbs but I had never heard about this issue and am just looking to level set.

Anyone have experience with this, see this happen before or even know about this?
Old 07-07-2016, 02:55 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't encountered this on my 997.2 after multiple track days at notoriously bumpy Sebring. I checked with a friend who tracks a 987S more often than me and he hasn't either. Most of his days are also at Sebring.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:02 PM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen it but it isn't common. I had a customer once complain about it and ask me to specifically check that bolt as another shop told him it has a tendency to loosen up. I checked it and properly torqued it. Half way through the season he came back to have us check it again and it was tight and has not come loose since we torqued it to spec.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:05 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Will check this tomorrow before my track weekend. I have the stock LCA's on my GTS so I'm guessing those bolts were never fiddled with since it left the factory (unless they're used for alignment?). Did you replace your LCA's with GT3 ones? Perhaps the bolt wasn't torqued properly after the installation?
Old 07-07-2016, 06:30 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by scorcherjf
Will check this tomorrow before my track weekend. I have the stock LCA's on my GTS so I'm guessing those bolts were never fiddled with since it left the factory (unless they're used for alignment?). Did you replace your LCA's with GT3 ones? Perhaps the bolt wasn't torqued properly after the installation?
Yes they are GT3 LCAs and were torqued by myself at installation to 89ft/lb and my race shop did a full nut bolt torque down on the entire suspension at the start of this season.

Thanks for input all. Very helpful.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:40 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 257 Posts

Sometimes people will use loctite and torque them at 65 ft/lb to allow for a little more freedom of movement especially in momentum cars. However you torque them, if one comes loose the key thing is to use a new nut, not retorque the old one. Cheap insurance
Old 07-09-2016, 12:51 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

A known issue on the 987. I check them every 3 days and, other than the first time, it has stayed tight.
Keep it tight or you will get excessive wear and end up replacing the LCA.

Quick Reply: Inboard LCA bolt backed out on 997... uncommon/common?