996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

DIY Double DIN?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 03:24 PM
Shred
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

It's much easier, you have so much more options without the Bose system in the car.
Definitely go find a nice aftermarket head unit unless you have lots and lots of cassette you want to play in the car
Old 06-30-2016, 03:28 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Before I give you my full opinion, can you please take a picture of your doors? I want to look at the setup.

Thank you!
Old 06-30-2016, 03:31 PM
Shred
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Actually b3freak is right, the amp maybe hidden under on the C4.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:04 PM
FREAKINHEAT
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hidden under?

Old 06-30-2016, 05:16 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Thank you, thank you!

Ok, before I give you the break down... one last confirmation.

I'm willing to bet the amp is in the trunk (see picture and arrow)

This is NOT my Porsche, but you can see the owner cut the cables. ((Nasty job too)) But if you pull back the flap then we'll be more knowledgeable about your setup and better able to help you!

Old 06-30-2016, 05:21 PM
Alansglide
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 27 Posts

There are two places I know of that have harness adapters to fit our factory wiring . This means no cutting of the factory wires.

One is Del Rey customs .

http://delreycustoms.com/

The other is Metra which is commonly sold on Amazon.

I have the Del Rey customs in my 996.

Cheap ? Nope . Do they work ? Sure do
Old 06-30-2016, 05:25 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Alan, I was going to recommend a standard harness, but since Porsche did their audio systems many different ways, I want to make sure we lead him into the right direction.

Here's the basic harness for upgrading an analog Porsche 996 system. This means you use the OEM speakers and amp ... and just change out the HU.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/HRC-BKR.html

or he can purchase a nice full kit with wiring harness as mention by the OP:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EURO-MOTORSP...UAAOxynLhR9e4k
Old 06-30-2016, 05:32 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

As it stands right now, freakinheat's system looks like the base PCM 1.0 with analog I/O. This would mean it is a 10 speaker/6 channel system with CD changer and Navigation units minus the integrated phone.

Basically, here's the breakdown:

Porsche Siemens/Becker PCM 1.0 Head Unit
feeds an Analog (e.g. Becker) 6 channel amp
Becker Amp feeds the follow...
1. Dash - L&R - mid/high frequency speakers
2. Rear - L&R - mid/high frequency speakers
3. Door - L&R - Bass Enclosures

OR...

Porsche Siemens/Becker PCM 1.0 Head Unit
provides speaker level output to...
1. Dash - L&R - mid/high frequency speakers
2. Rear - L&R - mid/high frequency speakers

The PCM unit provide pre-amp level output to a 2 Channel Amp

The analog (e.g. Becker) 2 channel amp feeds the low frequencies to
3. Door - L&R - Bass Enclosures
Old 06-30-2016, 10:59 PM
ntouched
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only paid $325 for the install at Al & Ed's Auto Sound in Ontario, California and that included relocating the AC unit. Separately purchased the Kenwood DNX892 navigation unit New on ebay. I think paying $1,000 for an install is a rip off!!!
Old 06-30-2016, 11:36 PM
suprmedic
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tonyr313
Got a double din and the speakers mentioned in this write up installed for under $500 (install cost only, I brought all the parts to the stereo shop).
Originally Posted by b3freak
I completely agree with you. The MOST based audio systems in the 996 were probably as problematic as the IMS fiasco. At least when the MOST dies, you don't have catastrophic engine failure. hahaha!

Seriously, this is exactly why I chose to replace both the HU and frunk amp. The sound is amazing! It will blow you out of the car.
It is an 05 C4S- so does have the MOST system. So I will be changing the AMP and head unit together- will leave the all Bose speakers for now- see how they sound with the new system.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:38 PM
RGrove
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have tried all 3 double din install kits (the one from pelican/ebay, the metra kit, and the one from Rod at CAI).

Hands down, far and away, the best is from CAI. It fits right and secures properly to the stereo, and looks the best.

He also makes various wiring harnesses, amp mounts, etc. And I already had the stereo and cage, so he sold me just the mounting/faceplate for the double din, and it works great. I bought the "Porsche" decal on ebay (was advertised for brake calipers) and added it to fill the space.

I have an 02 (so no MOST), but no door speakers. I found a really good 4 channel amp (Alpine PDX) on amazon, and installed Polk 2 way speakers all around, and have been really happy with it.

Just my $0.02, YMMV

Boot up screen...

Old 06-30-2016, 11:39 PM
suprmedic
Advanced

Originally Posted by ntouched
I only paid $325 for the install at Al & Ed's Auto Sound in Ontario, California and that included relocating the AC unit. Separately purchased the Kenwood DNX892 navigation unit New on ebay. I think paying $1,000 for an install is a rip off!!!
Hey- thanks for this! I'm getting the radio on Saturday per tracking number... but will call Al& Ed's tomorrow!!! $325 would be awesome. I have not picked an amp- but will ask them what they would recommend.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:56 PM
ntouched
Track Day

Like "RGrove" I also purchased the install kit from cai-store.com
Old 07-01-2016, 09:48 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Without a doubt CAI has some of the most complete kits available. The main point to remember is to get the RIGHT kit for the HU you're purchasing. These newer double DIN style radios are sized (and shaped) in many different ways. At first glance, you say, "It's just a square - it should work!", but then you get it and realize the installation kit doesn't fit tight and the bezel has gaps around the edges. Yikes!

If I were going to advise anyone, make sure you FIRST know what type of Porsche system you're upgrading... is it a fiber optic (MOST) digital based system or is it an analog I/O... is it a BOSE or the Becker CDR HU with 6 channel amp in the frunk?

The easiest method of upgrading is just swapping out the head unit and use the existing speakers and amp. That means you just need to purchase a installation kit like the one CAI sells for $200.00. You can also save that money by hard wiring the HU to the Porsche's wiring. I don't advise it if you haven't dealt with schematics and wiring diagrams. You could really screw something up bad! The safest way is to purchase the CORRECT kit from a company like CAI and wire it properly with their included wiring harnesses. It's not that bad as it seems as long as you follow the directions.

All the best!!!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:00 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

FREAKINHEAT has gone silent on us. I hope I didn't scare him off. We were just one step away from confirming his system. :-(

Quick Reply: DIY Double DIN?