Sponsored by:

Build advice - unique vs. disasterous

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 01:30 PM
KeysToHappiness
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TAL2GK
So if I get Luxor beige they'll put my steering wheel on the wrong side?!

Any thoughts on natural leather in a cabrio? My concern is the additional UV exposure would lead to premature patina, or worse, cracking of the leather. I did a forum search on "natural leather" and surprisingly didn't uncover anything useful. I'm sure it must be out there.

If I can't get the exact leather combo I want, the espresso/cognac looks like a reasonable option.
It could happen lol. I think if Porsche had general wear and tear concerns with the leather on a cabrio they wouldn't do it. Therefore in my opinion it's just about leather care more than the patina or cracked look, unless your Magnus of course. My leather 2 tone was not listed in the catalogue as recommended nor preferred lol, but everyone at my dealer loves seeing the car when I drop by.
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2016, 02:40 PM
steve9
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by KeysToHappiness
Ill just leave this here. Haven't looked back or wished I had ticked something else. 😜
that's a nice combination and will look good in 10 years. I owned a TVR with a similar combo and kept it 8 years. Red on blue would not get my vote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:22 PM
KeysToHappiness
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve9
that's a nice combination and will look good in 10 years. I owned a TVR with a similar combo and kept it 8 years. Red on blue would not get my vote
Thanks Steve. Quite expensive in Aus so was a once in a life opportunity and so I optioned without regret. Great to see everyone's cars on here, but the hardest was seeing what some options actually look like in real life versus the computer screen. The 2 tone leather is fantastic and has the added bonus of making the rest of the car leather where the base interior isn't. Ps avatar name came from Magnus signing my keys at Rennsport 2016 in Australia. Very very hard to find the same enthusiasm for European cars in Aus!
Old 06-28-2016, 07:17 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

That's an interesting dilemma. My fiance is leaning toward us getting a PDK, even though she drives a 6MT E92. Her next job is likely to be more business formal in terms of wardrobe, and driving a manual in 4" stilettos isn't that appealing for her. I would like her to take the car when seeing clients, beats it sitting in the garage. If we were getting a Cayman weekend car, then 6MT all the way.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:39 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
Her next job is likely to be more business formal in terms of wardrobe, and driving a manual in 4" stilettos isn't that appealing for her.
Damn, what industry does she work in? Have you checked in to the "Wives" thread yet? C'mon, are you holding out on us?
Old 06-28-2016, 09:44 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KeysToHappiness
Ill just leave this here. Haven't looked back or wished I had ticked something else. ��
FIFY!

This one and earlier red seat&black dash are done right. I love the lines the two colors create. The black dash and carpet can make any seat color tolerable and should help resell. And yes, i think an all red can be disastrous.

...and the few posts up cocoa mocha double brown dutch treat! Fughedaboutit!
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2016, 03:14 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Damn, what industry does she work in? Have you checked in to the "Wives" thread yet? C'mon, are you holding out on us?
Just a quick shot on a recent test drive...obviously enjoying herself! It was her insistence that we sell the M3 and move up the ladder! Not a tough sell really.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:09 AM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

While I agree with you, NA, that Sapphire over Bordeaux wouldn't be my cup of tea, and also agree that everybody's color taste is personal and many would not be happy with red interiors over the long haul, I'd have to take issue with the "timeless" comment, or at least its implication that black is historically timeless and red isn't. Silver-over-red Porsches are extremely common down through the history of the marque and not at all dated or faddish -- i.e. they are timeless as well.

In fact, although this is my first silver/red Porsche I first started wanting that combo with the advent of the 993 in Polar Silver over Boxster Red. But this is the first car I haven't bought off the lot, and I never found a silver/red one when I was ready to buy in the past.

etc.
After seeing these pictures, I'm seriously debating about punting on the sapphire blue exterior since I can't land on an interior that I love. Meanwhile, I love the black/red interior ... but not on the sapphire. My previous car was a Sterling Grey Z4 with black interior that I always wished was this red. It would be far less unique in the Porsche world, but Agate grey, Spyder wheels, and black/red interior, anyone?
Old 06-29-2016, 04:04 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

After seeing these pictures, I'm seriously debating about punting on the sapphire blue exterior since I can't land on an interior that I love. Meanwhile, I love the black/red interior ... but not on the sapphire. My previous car was a Sterling Grey Z4 with black interior that I always wished was this red. It would be far less unique in the Porsche world, but Agate grey, Spyder wheels, and black/red interior, anyone?
I love the idea of that. Similar to what I chose. I have Centerlocks, but the Spyders look like 'em.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:11 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

I love the idea of that. Similar to what I chose. I have Centerlocks, but the Spyders look like 'em.
that's a good look. Unique with some pop and understated with the black dash.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:09 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c_Gio
Some people LOVE. The PDK, and will fight tooth and nail I've why it's obviously best. Others are the same with MT. It sounds to me like you are on the fence. Almost all the on-the-fence buyers of PDK post their regrets in time.

If you aren't dying for PDK, don't do it.

Actually..... I can't think of any MT buyers posting their regrets.
When I drove both, I really enjoyed the 7mt. But the right deal fell into my lap with all the other options including Aerokit cup. Would I prefer 7mt? Sure. But I might have been waiting for years to find this build, this clean, with the options i wanted at this price. In the end, when I drive it, it's still a C2S 991. The overall satisfaction of driving this transmission is maybe 10% of the total driving satisfaction. If I were building new, I would get the 7mt, but the PDK leaves me anything but wanting. And, my 2001 Tacoma is 5mt, so I get my 3 pedal fix every day I drive to work
Old 06-29-2016, 10:56 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,045 Likes on 559 Posts

Not 991 but give you some idea. Love the color combo.

Name:  macanfront_zpsiaobji4t.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  296.9 KB

Name:  DSC02123_zps74dibfhn.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  252.0 KB
Old 06-30-2016, 12:17 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Hmm the interior is important, but for me the Aqua Blue (and I think Sapphire is very similar) is what makes me really love it. After two years I can't walk away without looking back at dat ***.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:47 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Hmm the interior is important, but for me the Aqua Blue (and I think Sapphire is very similar) is what makes me really love it. After two years I can't walk away without looking back at dat ***.
I don't know, I think it's maybe just Tahoe making the color looks better than it actually is

Digging that speed yellow truck in front of you too!
Old 06-30-2016, 12:51 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
I don't know, I think it's maybe just Tahoe making the color looks better than it actually is
Keep Tahoe Blau! Seriously though it looks amazing all the time.

Quick Reply: Build advice - unique vs. disasterous