Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultraviolet or GT Silver?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 06:23 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

UV was surprisingly more subtle than I wanted it to be personally. I was looking for loud. It's a bit of a muted, mature purple with some brown in it. Based on your desire, it would likely be a great choice. I think it looks sophisticated and unique.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:12 AM
loopsandsounds
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
GT3s/RSs are not regular 911s and getting the GT cars in silver instead of a jelly bean or other intense color like UV only creates a mixed visual message........ (in your face car, owned by meek owner)
Get the UV!
This made me laugh. I am _that guy_ you describe. I want to own the "in your face car" but not have it be in your face...If no one noticed I'd traded my Rhodium Silver GT3 for the GT Silver RS that would be considered a win in my book.

That and this doesn't look too bad...

Old 06-29-2016, 10:14 AM
loopsandsounds
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Obviously this is the previous generation but here is GT silver with a ton of yellow stitching accents so u get an idea
Wow, that looks fantastic bmwtye...the 997 still looks great! Thanks for the pics. I love the yellow deviated stitching.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:49 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 742 Likes on 403 Posts

Silver. Classic color and will stay that way through time. UV will get boring after a while and then you have a car that looks like a Barney Power Wheels
Old 06-29-2016, 12:07 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Silver. Classic color and will stay that way through time. UV will get boring after a while and then you have a car that looks like a Barney Power Wheels
I hope the remaining people that have allocations think this ^^^.

Pts is closed for sure thru remaining build cycle (December). So, I'm going uv and hope I'm in the minority (but probably won't be). Although saying you like purple and actually ordering a 200k+ car in purple are two different things entirely! My vote is silver so there are fewer uv's to bump into out there.

My bias for RS colors is to get one that you like that isn't over exposed. I don't think GT silver will fall into that category on the RS specifically but it somewhat gets lumped into the other silver examples across the total pool of 991s. I like certain colors on certain cars. I've had a LOT of silver in the past, and I'm going thru more of a "color phase" now, but I will admit the 991rs looks good in GT silver. I think silver works on cars with a lot of black bits and a few choicely placed pops of color. 991rs is that car. It's hard to go more than a foot without bumping into some cut-out/detail. If car is boring out, I like it visually loud inside and vice versa. Silver with no personality inside or uv with what looks like a toddler puked purple/yellow/red everywhere inside; no thanks.

I'm personally burned out on silver/grey cars. So, UV for me. But I can't deny 991rs looks damn good in GT silver.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:17 PM
0-60 freak
Racer

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I hope the remaining people that have allocations think this ^^^.

Pts is closed for sure thru remaining build cycle (December). So, I'm going uv and hope I'm in the minority (but probably won't be). Although saying you like purple and actually ordering a 200k+ car in purple are two different things entirely! My vote is silver so there are fewer uv's to bump into out there.

My bias for RS colors is to get one that you like that isn't over exposed. I don't think GT silver will fall into that category on the RS specifically but it somewhat gets lumped into the other silver examples across the total pool of 991s. I like certain colors on certain cars. I've had a LOT of silver in the past, and I'm going thru more of a "color phase" now, but I will admit the 991rs looks good in GT silver. I think silver works on cars with a lot of black bits and a few choicely placed pops of color. 991rs is that car. It's hard to go more than a foot without bumping into some cut-out/detail. If car is boring out, I like it visually loud inside and vice versa. Silver with no personality inside or uv with what looks like a toddler puked purple/yellow/red everywhere inside; no thanks.

I'm personally burned out on silver/grey cars. So, UV for me. But I can't deny 991rs looks damn good in GT silver.
I'm having such a dilemma....800 mile gt silver in dallas, 20 mile u/v at local PNH, or just be patient and try and get a 991.2 rs build later and be happy with what I got and coming from ferrariName:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  18.2 KB
Old 06-29-2016, 01:57 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

I was originally nervous about UV with some of the washed out photos that showed up so I had silver in my order. I was able to see all four colours at the factory and after seeing UV in person, I would have no problem taking it. Actually all of the colours are great and different and I can see why someone would pick any of them. I stuck with silver but added RS decals to add something to the outside and have lava stitching to give the interior some pop.

If I ordered UV I would really look hard at yellow stitching and a Porsche side decal with yellow text and black stripe like the R side decal. This

is one of my favorite UV photos.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:53 PM
Asco
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 25 Posts

Both look great and some of the photos posted here and elsewhere of GT Silver RS's do look amazing! I was on the fence for a long time deciding between the two and went with UV with PCCB's, white dials and sport chrono, yellow stitching, yellow belts and will do the cage in yellow as well
I still have my fingers crossed for PTS, however seems impossible, BUT it seemed impossible to get a configurable allocation with no mark up too and I got it without any previous Porsche history. Just saying that it seems like anything can happen in this RS circus.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:01 PM
10/10ths
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default UV...Here's why:

It's a GT3. Get it in a unique, GT3 color.

Don't buy THAT car in a color that an "average" Porsche can be had in.

Good luck. You bastard!

Oh, here's my Carrera GT Silver "50 Years of 550 Spyder Edition" Boxster S.
Attached Images   
Old 06-30-2016, 11:58 AM
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-60 freak
I'm having such a dilemma....800 mile gt silver in dallas
have seen that at southlake motors. so choice.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:43 PM
cwcsvt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Wisdom with Barney...

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Old 06-30-2016, 06:32 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

After seeing both UV and GT silver up close in real life both on and off the track...GT silver it is! I thought I'd never say that because I love different colors. The silver is so nice on this car. The UV is, well, blah, muted, and not very nice.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:32 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Silver on the rs is badass. And I hate silver cars...
Old 06-30-2016, 07:35 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

UV
Old 06-30-2016, 08:38 PM
meyerhoffer
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Van Halen & Verstappen knows...

So does Jenner

Last edited by meyerhoffer; 07-01-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Ultraviolet or GT Silver?