996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New 996 Owner. 1st Porsche.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 05:33 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just picked the car up and drove it home.

First impression: The difference is extreme.

Let's do a quick run down:

Clutch Pedal: Feels exactly the same as stock with the FX250. The engage points are the same but the amount of grab is much better.

LWFW: Acceleration is insanely better. Its nuts how fast it revs now. The flywheel was a massive upgrade I should have done a long time ago. Matched with the lightweight pulley is pretty awesome.

LSD: Haven't had a real chance to open it up yet but will soon. I take my car to Chris's German in Redmond and there is this really, really steep on ramp onto 520 that is in the shape of a large S going uphill the entire way after you leave the shop. Accelerating up the hill (The uphill S is about 3/4 of a mile before you get on the highway) it was easily noticeable how much more power the wheels were able to put down and how much more stable the car was. If I had to guess it was about a 10 mph difference through the same twists as I use that as a quick feeler after any performance work. I won't be able to comment on deceleration or trail braking feel until I get to the track. No one should be able to on the street. Nothing dramatic yet but I'll have lap times and section speeds in two weeks.

Idle: Needs to be monitored at a stop but honestly its much better than other LWFW cars I've had. Easy to manage in traffic.

Heel-Toe: Requires much less effort, simpler. Less of a push and more of a really light flick to rev match.

Sound: The LWFW makes more noise. It sounds like a box of rocks inside the car. Outside it sounds like an exhaust leak. Whatever. When you rev the car its quickly drowned out by the beautiful notes of the intake and exhaust.

The 2nd gear detent works. Get it if you're transmission is ever out. Mine only did it rarely when cold but its cheap insurance versus an early rebuild. I believe all 986/996 transmissions will have this issue at some point.

Next event is June 11th/12th with back to back days at the Ridge. New NT01s are on the way. Can't wait!

Completed Work:
New LN IMSB (Warranty Repair. 1st time in Shop history after 100s of installs a seal failed.)
AASCO Lightweight Flywheel
Clutch Masters FX250 Clutch with Sprung Pressure Plate rated for ~400hp
Flywheel/Clutch/Plate Balancing
OS Giken LSD
G50 Short Hubs
GBox 2nd Gear Detent
New Clutch Fork & Pivot Arm
Fresh 75w/90 Fluid
Fresh Oil

Last edited by vandersmith; 05-28-2016 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:01 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Great feedback. Nothing like the hum of new nt01s at 5:30 AM on the way to the track.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:59 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Originally Posted by Hardback
Great feedback. Nothing like the hum of new nt01s at 5:30 AM on the way to the track.
They definitely make some noise!

Was considering Hoosiers this round but the added cost of trailering the car was a bit too rich for me just for track days. MPSC too. Most of the 991 GT3 guys agreed that you can get more from the NT01s for less than you can from the MPSCs. But if I ever do convert the car to full race mode than I'll definitely be on R7s at the least.

My last set of NT01s lasted 36 heat cycles flipping them only once. I think if I had been smarter and paid closer attention I could have flipped them twice and gotten another 2-3 days (10-15 cycles) out of them. Thats with -2.3/-2 camber.

Last edited by vandersmith; 05-28-2016 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:32 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Default 5/27 Track Season Update

Engine
GT3 Throttle Body
IPD 82mm Plenum
EVOMS Intake and new MAF Sensor
EVOMS 92 Tune
RSS Underdrive Pulley
Exhaust: SS Headers, X-Pipe, Hi-Flow Cats and Mufflers - 997 Quad Tips
LN Dual Row IMS Upgrade (redone 5/25/16)
FVD X51 Deep Oil Sump, Baffle and Pan
LN Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter and Magnetic Sleeve
RMS/997 AOS
Upgraded Alternator
New Coils/NGK Plugs
Water Pump and Low Temp Thermostat
Function First Motor Mounts

Drivetrain
Numeric Racing Competiton Shifter
Numeric Cup Cables
AASCO Lightweight Flywheel
Clutch Masters FX250 Clutch/Pressure Plate
Flywheel/Clutch/Plate Balancing
OS Giken LSD
G50 Short Axle Hubs
GBox 2nd Gear Detent
New Clutch Fork & Pivot Arm

Brakes
GT3 Calipers with Racing Brake SS Pistons/High Temp Seals
Street - Textar Pads - Front/Rear
Track - Pagid RS29 - Front/Rear
Coleman 2-Piece Slotted Rotors - Front/Rear
Motul RBF 600 Brake Fluid
SS Brake Lines - Front/Rear
GT2 Brake Ducts - Front/Rear

Suspension
KW V3 Coilovers
H&R Sway Bars - Front/Rear
Tarett Endlinks - Front/Rear
Tarett Monoball Camber Plates - Front/Rear
GT3 Control Arms - Front/Rear
Upgraded Thrust Arms
Adjustable Rear Dogbones and Toe Links
Powerflex Bushings
Corner Balanced with -3/-2.5 Camber

Wheels
Street - HRE 540 19x9/19x12 with MSS (235/315)
Street - Turbo Hollow Twists with Falken Azenis (235/295)
Track - CCW C10 18x10/18x12 with NT01s (235/315)
Apex Wheel Studs

Interior
Agency Power Half Roll Cage
Sparco EVO 2 Seats
Recaro Side Mounts
Planted Seat Mounts
Sparco 6pt Harnesses
GT3 Console Delete
Ecliptech Shift Light
Rennline Short Hub and Quick Release
Momo Monte Carlo 350mm Steering Wheel
Valentine One
Dension Gateway 500 with Bluetooth
Track - AIM Solo DL
Track - GoPro 3+/Kodak SP360 4K
Track - Schroth Hans/Black Armor SA2015 Helmet

Exterior
Street - OEM Front 4S Lip
Track - Turbo Front Lip
Misha GT2M Rear Wing Insert
Paint Correction
Rolled Rear Fenders
Old 05-28-2016, 04:36 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

That's amazing. Well done. Now which direction to go next? Weight reduction? 4.0L? Or just relax and enjoy it?If you manage to do the last one let me know what script the Dr. put you on because I need some. #modaddict
Old 05-28-2016, 11:36 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Originally Posted by Slakker
That's amazing. Well done. Now which direction to go next? Weight reduction? 4.0L? Or just relax and enjoy it?If you manage to do the last one let me know what script the Dr. put you on because I need some. #modaddict
The fastest lap at the Ridge I've heard of in a 996 with NT01s is 1:53. That was in a street driven GT3 with quite a bit of work driven hard by a PCA Instructor I know. Based on power to weight ratio, I also use Pro3 cars as a good yardstick which will do 1:57s consistently. 997/991 GT3s run 1:51-1:53.

My best is 1:56:81 with an average 1:57-59 depending on traffic and track conditions. Before the NT01s I couldn't break the 2:00 barrier.

I'm improving here and there and can't justify going any further. I think this car is capable of 1:54s or better now. Even before this recent work, it is still faster than I am able to drive it.

Until I solve that and get more consistent. I think this is it for now. Famous last words right

Last edited by vandersmith; 05-29-2016 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:19 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Just finished a weekend at the Ridge. Was unfortunately cut a day short due to a failing Clutch salve cylinder but was able to run the car through its paces for a few sessions.

LWFW:
Wish I had done this sooner. The car accelerates so much faster where needed on the track and makes downshifts so much easier. Can't say enough. If you're going to have the transmission out for any work you should really consider doing this with a sprung clutch.

OS Giken:
Made a huge difference. Really helped the car settle at the end of the straights allowing more controlled braking and easier throttle control. The car is definitely more Rear Wheel biased now which I really, really enjoy. Its insane how much more speed I can carry consistently into the same corners than before and how much earlier the car allows me to get on the throttle. The PSM doesn't kick in unless I'm completely off line or missing braking points. Its a real kick in the pants and feels like a completely different car.

Clutch Slave Cylinder Failure:
While on track, the car began grinding from 2nd into 3rd without the clutch pedal all the way to the floor which I initially thought was just the transmission having difficulty when under load and the G's of the turns. But then 4th. Then 5th. The clutch would only engage with the last inch of pedal travel and would not engage with enough force above 3k rpm. With the new higher friction clutch which requires some additional force, this made the car almost un-drivable. My leg and ankle are still pretty sore from driving back the 60+ miles to Seattle in traffic - Imagine having to use only that last inch above the floor the entire time during a two hours of rush hour traffic. No bueno. Its a $50 part too, I'm going to add another to my spare track parts (+MAF +Brake Pedal Switch) just in case.

My personal best before was 1:56:8X before the above work. I averaged low 1:57s throughout the sessions on brand new NT01s. Couldn't see the whole weekend of track days due to the clutch issues which was a bummer, would have probably cut down my lap times quite a bit as I got more familiar with the new car dynamics and as the tires wore in.

More track days upcoming. If I get the car back this week I'll be heading to Pacific on Friday.

Last edited by vandersmith; 06-14-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:13 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a blast! Glad the upgrades are working out.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:27 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Great feedback on the LSD and LWFW. Sounds like the expense was well worth it for us track junkies. If you are replacing the slave cylinder go ahead and replace the release arm as they can wear over time and create a creaking noise, mine did anyways. I think its only a $35 part. I know how frustrating it can be to be sidelined at a track event.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:59 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Got the car back and went straight out to Pacific for a track day with BMWCCA.

Set new personal best: 1:36:77
Previous was 1:40:22

The LSD/LWFW work. More seat time works as my previous instructor at Pacific was able to pull 8x 1:36s before both.

Lots more to learn but for now...Woo!

Old 06-18-2016, 01:18 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Congrats! That's a huge gain!
Old 06-18-2016, 07:12 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Here's the session video. Watching this compared to my laps there earlier this year is pretty nuts.

The difference is night and day

Last edited by vandersmith; 06-18-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:55 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Here's the 360 Video:

Old 06-19-2016, 04:11 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Old 07-12-2016, 01:51 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Chasing a 997.2 GT3RS for 4 laps in the rain at the Ridge

Quick Reply: New 996 Owner. 1st Porsche.