Sponsored by:

Tiptronic troubles.... Fluids?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 09:47 PM
scorchpa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tiptronic troubles.... Fluids?

I've had my 996 for a couple years now and it's been running great with only 1 exception....

About a year ago I was accelerating around a turn, and the tip dropped down a gear, with a thunk revving the engine probably around 6000 rpm, and wouldn't go back up a gear for about 4-5 seconds. I disconnected the battery overnight to reset the tip, and I didn't have a problem again until about a week ago where the same thing happened. Accelerating around a corner.

Based on the fact it happened both times while pulling a few g's around a bend, I'm wondering if it's a fluid issue? Maybe the atf is running a bit low? Anyone have any experience with this?

Is changing the tip fluid a DIY job for a novice,or should I just let my Indy do it?

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2016, 10:31 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 333 Posts

Don't know if fluid is your problem, but changing the transmission fluid isn't a simple task. There are specialized tools and the procedure is a bit complicated. For a novice I would say have it done. More experienced DIY'ers will tackle it and make their own tools.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:43 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

You gave gas and the transmission dropped down a gear to accelerate. What is the problem?
Was it just a simple kick down?
Old 06-14-2016, 10:26 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, the level of the transmission fluid can affect the performance. What year do you have? Pre-2002 transmissions are significantly different from 2002-2004. I have personally changed my ATF fluid and filter on my 2002 996. You need some special tools and it's kind of a pain in the back end, but it can be done. You also need to get the car level and off the ground. I have the exact instructions for 2002 - 2004 if needed. The dealer wanted $800 which is why I did it myself.

Last edited by ejdoherty911; 06-14-2016 at 10:26 AM. Reason: add pictures
Old 06-14-2016, 11:39 AM
scorchpa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ahsai
You gave gas and the transmission dropped down a gear to accelerate. What is the problem?
Was it just a simple kick down?
no... definitely not just standard dropping down a gear... I had constant acceleration going around a corner, not overly aggressive, and just suddenly seemed to drop maybe even 2 gears. I instantly released the gas, so as not to red line, where it also should have gone back up a gear., but it stayed in that low gear for 5-10 seconds, until I hit the tip button to manually switch.... then everything was fine again.

BTW, it is a 2002 Carrera 4 cab.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:42 AM
scorchpa
Instructor

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
Yes, the level of the transmission fluid can affect the performance. What year do you have? Pre-2002 transmissions are significantly different from 2002-2004. I have personally changed my ATF fluid and filter on my 2002 996. You need some special tools and it's kind of a pain in the back end, but it can be done. You also need to get the car level and off the ground. I have the exact instructions for 2002 - 2004 if needed. The dealer wanted $800 which is why I did it myself.
Thanks for the info... $800 seems like quite a bit just to change the fluid, but you said that's a dealer.... I might go to my indy and see what he says... the pelican walkthrough seems like it isn't overly difficult to do myself, but I really just don't have a good way to get my car in the air.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:44 PM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I sent mine (02) to my indy and he charged me $380. Half of that were fluid, new filter and pan gasket. He did use porsche Scan tool to get fluid temperature and level just right.
I checked with dealer and they want $450 but I trust my mechanic more than dealer.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:00 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scorchpa
no... definitely not just standard dropping down a gear... I had constant acceleration going around a corner, not overly aggressive, and just suddenly seemed to drop maybe even 2 gears. I instantly released the gas, so as not to red line, where it also should have gone back up a gear., but it stayed in that low gear for 5-10 seconds, until I hit the tip button to manually switch.... then everything was fine again.

BTW, it is a 2002 Carrera 4 cab.
Umm, that is a normal behavior for Mercedes Tiptronic. Transmission logic assumed you were in the "race" situation, dropped couple of gears and stayed in low gear. Also, if you trip "tip" buttons anytime during the drive it will keep that gear for 8 seconds.

My AMG has more aggressive tuned software of the same transmission, if it senses that you are passing/in the corner/or rapidly let off the gas it WILL KEEP the same gear because transmission brain assumes you are in the "extreme" situation. To Mercedes tip, if you smashed the gas...then rapidly let off the gas pedal it "looks" as if you were trying to pass a car, failed at the pass and backed off. Car keeps the same gear assuming you will try again.

Even in the city, if I hit kickdown to 2nd and go to 70+ mph, then immediately let off the gas...car will hold 2nd gear even at 5-6k RPM.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:29 PM
scorchpa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Umm, that is a normal behavior for Mercedes Tiptronic. Transmission logic assumed you were in the "race" situation, dropped couple of gears and stayed in low gear. Also, if you trip "tip" buttons anytime during the drive it will keep that gear for 8 seconds.

My AMG has more aggressive tuned software of the same transmission, if it senses that you are passing/in the corner/or rapidly let off the gas it WILL KEEP the same gear because transmission brain assumes you are in the "extreme" situation. To Mercedes tip, if you smashed the gas...then rapidly let off the gas pedal it "looks" as if you were trying to pass a car, failed at the pass and backed off. Car keeps the same gear assuming you will try again.

Even in the city, if I hit kickdown to 2nd and go to 70+ mph, then immediately let off the gas...car will hold 2nd gear even at 5-6k RPM.
Maybe you're right.... Sure didn't feel normal but this is my first Porsche.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:16 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by scorchpa
Thanks for the info... $800 seems like quite a bit just to change the fluid, but you said that's a dealer.... I might go to my indy and see what he says... the pelican walkthrough seems like it isn't overly difficult to do myself, but I really just don't have a good way to get my car in the air.
$800 might have been a high # maybe it was $600 and that included the ATF filter which requires dropping the ATF pan. The Pelican instructions do not translate to a 2002. You have a different transmission (and a better one!). Changing the filter adds a bit of work. Not only do you have to get the car in the air, you need it running to get the right fluid level. You need a special attachment to connect to the fill port (not the same for 2001 and prior years). You need to go through a specific procedure, while in a specific temperature range, to get the ATF fill level just right.

How many miles on the car? If you haven't changed the "final drive" gear oil (aka rear differential oil) might be a good idea while you have the car in. This is not hard to do, but make sure you remove the FILL port screw before you remove the DRAIN port screw.

Last edited by ejdoherty911; 06-15-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic troubles.... Fluids?