Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parting with my GT3 - Racing Yellow

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 09:47 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely. If anything, the complaint is that the new Miata is too soft. I F'd mine up with coilovers and more spring rate so it's quite a bit rougher on the street, but it is pretty impressive on track in every way except, of course, power.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:57 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Could it be that these car have gotten so good that they just aren't fun anymore?
Old 06-07-2016, 09:58 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,452 Likes on 756 Posts

GLWS- I weekend warrior my car on the streets and traded my GT3 for a GT4. Ended up a great decision for me. Light, nimble, MANUAL- Perfect drivers car. Everyone must do what suits them.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:51 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Could it be that these car have gotten so good that they just aren't fun anymore?
That's awfully hard to say. I suppose there is a little bit of that for me, as both my viper and my Miata have manual transmissions and you just have to engage more to use the cars. For some odd reason, when I drove the PDK I was never sure what gear I was in and always had to look at the gear indicator.. When I'm in a manual, I always know what dear I'm in, because I put it there. On track, when going for optimal lap time, no doubt the PDK is the equipment to use. But when enjoying the subjective pleasure of driving, even on track, it's nice to operate a manual transmission and do it well
Old 06-07-2016, 10:54 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
That's awfully hard to say. I suppose there is a little bit of that for me, as both my viper and my Miata have manual transmissions and you just have to engage more to use the cars. For some odd reason, when I drove the PDK I was never sure what gear I was in and always had to look at the gear indicator.. When I'm in a manual, I always know what dear I'm in, because I put it there. On track, when going for optimal lap time, no doubt the PDK is the equipment to use. But when enjoying the subjective pleasure of driving, even on track, it's nice to operate a manual transmission and do it well
Totally agree and that's why I chose the inferior GTS.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:53 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

GLWS. That is a very beautiful car. Every time I see a yellow one ai like them more.

Very interesting feedback on the Miata. We test drove one a couple of months ago and thought it was incredibly good.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:34 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Absolutely. If anything, the complaint is that the new Miata is too soft. I F'd mine up with coilovers and more spring rate so it's quite a bit rougher on the street, but it is pretty impressive on track in every way except, of course, power.

have you considered its sister car, the abarth 124.. stiffer springs and suspension, same engine, better exhaust note.. slightly longer overhangs.. great design throwback.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:23 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio

have you considered its sister car, the abarth 124.. stiffer springs and suspension, same engine, better exhaust note.. slightly longer overhangs.. great design throwback.
I thought that was a turbo whereas Miata is NA?
Old 06-12-2016, 11:44 AM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AFAIK Fiat has a different engine.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:56 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by levd
AFAIK Fiat has a different engine.
Fiat has a 1.4-liter, turbo 4-cyl engine and is 100 lbs heavier I believe
Old 06-13-2016, 12:57 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Fiat has a 1.4-liter, turbo 4-cyl engine and is 100 lbs heavier I believe
Correct; getting good reviews and not yet available. I actually ordered my Miata last August, took delivery late September, and the 124 was just on the horizon, so not a real choice. The looks don't really do anything for me, and the extra 100 lbs I consider a significant negative, so I don't regret getting my Miata pretty early.

Yesterday I drove the Miata and the ACR-E back to back, 2 sessions each at MSR on the 3.1 mile configuration. I have to say both had their excellent points. The ACR is of course much, much faster, but you have to baby the tires in front and I have found that I have to pit 2x per session as the tires will increase 10-12 psi over the session and if you go out with 25 psi cold, you will destroy the inside and outside shoulders, so I go out at 30, stop after 3 laps (fronts up to 37 psi!), bleed down to 32-33, stop after another three laps (back up to 36-37), bleed down to 34 and go for rest of session, but if you develop a push, DO NOT manhandle the car or ba-bye front tires (I am on my third set).

The Miata, just bolt on the 15 x 7 wheels and the R888s from my 1990 Miata Track car (yes, back to the old 4-lug bolt pattern), set tires to 30 psi cold and hammer it as hard as I can for 30 min straight. Coolant stays under 210, and the handling is sublime. I even had the distinct pleasure of passing a less experienced driver in his Cayman GT4. Consumables cost is probably 10-20% of the Viper and it's a worry-free car given the low price of entry. I've put $3K in mods for springs, shocks and brakes on the car and consider it "done" for now. I'd like to add power, but my experience in the past is that cooling and reliability tradeoffs can make the car overall less enjoyable, so I don't plan to be an early adopter on the power adders.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:14 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Nice review. It seems Fiat has two hp offerings on the turbo four. 182 hp isn't bad. Chipped it might go over 200.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:00 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I really like the new MX5 and image its a blast on track.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:13 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

The Miata, just bolt on the 15 x 7 wheels and the R888s from my 1990 Miata Track car (yes, back to the old 4-lug bolt pattern), set tires to 30 psi cold and hammer it as hard as I can for 30 min straight. Coolant stays under 210, and the handling is sublime. I even had the distinct pleasure of passing a less experienced driver in his Cayman GT4. Consumables cost is probably 10-20% of the Viper and it's a worry-free car given the low price of entry. I've put $3K in mods for springs, shocks and brakes on the car and consider it "done" for now. I'd like to add power, but my experience in the past is that cooling and reliability tradeoffs can make the car overall less enjoyable, so I don't plan to be an early adopter on the power adders.
You just sold me on the Miata!
Old 06-14-2016, 02:32 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
You just sold me on the Miata!
I am considering one as well but not for the track. I drove the new one when it first came out and it was a really fun drive. The body roll was excessive though. If I got one I'd have to get rid of my jag f type convertible and I'm not sure I can do that yet. It has the best sounding stock exhaust ever, the power is great and has controllable tail happiness I love. We'll see...

Quick Reply: Parting with my GT3 - Racing Yellow