996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Targa or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 02:47 AM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on the greenhouse effect, the inside of my Targa gets pretty hot in the Pasadena summers, and also more places for rattles and creaks to come from. I like the rarity of them, though, and the rear hatch is very useful. Since I hit the track sometimes and don't put the top down too often, I wish I would have gone with a sunroof-delete coupe.

-Chris
Old 02-12-2016, 02:50 AM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Apparently Targas are also kid-friendly! =)

Old 02-16-2016, 12:13 PM
Longtimelurker
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing the search for a Targa as well, and it definitely is a much more exclusive market with a price premium and not as many options (especially given you're missing out on the 996 MY 99'-01'). I'm not a huge convertible guy, so the Targa is a nice mix, especially given the practicality of the hatch for my golf clubs.

John's car is gorgeous; definitely a stunner and would love that color combo. I'm one of the oddballs that likes the Nephrite green leather, but the Nephrite itself is rare so combo likelihood is very low.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:13 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SFZ GT3
So, my search for a 996 C2, 6 spd, has pretty much focused on Coupes. No Cabs, and never gave the Targa a thought. Not planning on much (very little actually) track work, just a fun driver for day tips and weekend tours.

Recently several Targa's are being offered form all the usual places and they caught my eye. More Coupe like than not and fairly rare.

Any thoughts from owners (or former owners) would be appreciated. Service/maintenance issues, drive characteristics, achilles heel's (if any), handling, would be most welcome. Also =, any leads on private sale cars would be great.

TIA,
What part of Florida? I'm in Pensacola and a buddy of mine just traded in his 2003 Targa at a local indie dealer (no affiliation). Had it for almost 10 years and is very meticulous about upkeep. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:24 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 60 Posts

Down South, that sounds like a nice one, but I am back to finding the right Coupe, C2, 6 spd. SR is fine for letting in a bit of light, sun, and moonshine, and I have a nice NA Miata to meet my "open air" needs.

Thanks for thinking of me on this.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:42 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad to help!
Old 05-16-2016, 04:07 PM
neunhundert-elf
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just came across this thread. I realize it's a few months old, but if anyone is still looking for a 996 Targa, I've listed mine on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162072493521

Mine is a 2002 and I have not had any problems with creaking or leaks or any other roof-related negatives. I do really appreciate the open feeling and sunshine, as well as having the hatch for convenience. We have pretty hot summers and cold winters in NY and I haven't had a problem with it leading to excessive heat or cold. For me, the Targa roof is a good compromise -- lots of fresh air but not so windy that it dominates the driving experience.

Following up on what someone else said, it also took me a while to find one I liked but have been very happy with mine; I would hold onto it longer, but just doesn't make sense for me in my current living/parking situation, so seems like a good time to sell it on.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:57 PM
salesguy01
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are a couple rear 3/4 view of my 02 targa.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:44 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stasha
We've owned several Porsches (including the old 1984-style Targas).
The newer-age Targas is the way to go. But, there are TWO down sides!

As has been pointed out above, the versatility of the hatchback is immeasurable.
Those who think the hatchback is a Soccer-Mom's car are people who change steel lug nuts to magnesium ones to gain 0.1 lbs weight advantage.

THE BAD:
1) There is DEFINITELY a greenhouse effect, in that the car heats up quickly and the sun can start to beat you down, despite the retractable sun screen that is provided.
I had to have reflective titanium tint installed on the top, and slightly lower level tint to the hatchback. Even this is not as effective as the sun/heat protection provided by a coupe.
I suppose it would be a good idea to replace the retractable screen with solid material -- never considered this before -- I may actually look into it!

2) When you retract the roof, darn, you CANNOT SEE out the back window. The double glass refractive effect of both the rear window and the glass top distorts your vision considerably.
Maybe mount a rear view camera if you drive in traffic a lot?
+100% Very well stated. I looked for a solid material retractable screen without success. I suspect this would be very helpful. If someone knows of one I would be very interested to see it. Drives out to Vegas would turn into torture sessions. As too the hatchback, I loved it. Much easier to transport gear (such as golf clubs) . I also like the overall look of the Targa more than the standard coupe but obviously that's subjective.

Last edited by Marvinta; 05-16-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:16 PM
911Dreamer
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jdogden
Thanks DTMiller for showing my Boxter Red Targa with the open hatch. When I was looking for my third 911 after 34 years of raising kids 9 years ago, the Targa was my only choice. I had owned a '69 911E Targa and loved the difference from the coupe and the name.

Yes, some will comment on the roof tending to rattle some but it is a movable roof after all and when open, what an experience. I added a bit of electrical black tape to the 4 corners of the sliding glass at the wear points and that helped.

I have had no issues with my Targa in the 9 years of ownership. I keep the roof tracks spotless and lightly lube the tracks with Wurth HSS-K.

Only about 3% of total 996 production are Targas and they were only produced from 2002 to 2004. They draw the interest at the car shows because they are unique. The pointed back window side glass and unique roof line is unique to the Targa.

Keep looking. It took me a year to find mine.

John
'03 Targa
Man what a great looking Targa, its the perfect color combo in my OP!!
Old 05-16-2016, 07:29 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I was in the market for a a coupe, and hadn't even considered the targa. Saw this beauty at a dealership a day after it was traded in, and knew it was the one for me. The targa is definitely very unique, gets tons of comments. While visibility isn't the greatest with the roof open, it's pretty awesome, definitely the best of both the cab and the coupe. The rear hatch also adds a lot more utility, makes it easy to carry groceries or load up for the car for road trips.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:42 AM
VivG
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If I had to do it again, I'd probably be more interested in a Targa. I realized that the fully enclosed roof of the coupe makes the cabin feel a lot smaller than it is. The Targa's glass roof would give it a much more open feeling.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:16 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by VivG
If I had to do it again, I'd probably be more interested in a Targa. I realized that the fully enclosed roof of the coupe makes the cabin feel a lot smaller than it is. The Targa's glass roof would give it a much more open feeling.
I agree ...I would do a Targa I had to did it again. I wear my hard top most of the year anyway and may only have it off for about a month or two all year.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:46 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,002 Posts

TOGA!!! TOGA!!!! TOGA!!!!!

Did you say toga or targa? I can't remember.

hahahaha!

Old 05-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

Oddly enough, I love the sunroof on my Carrera coupe. I've had sunroofs on my previous umpteen cars, even have one on my truck and SUV. And I consider them absolutely pointless. I've tried to use them and they just don't work for me.

I don't know if it's because of the cabin size, the window shape, or because my previous 911 was a cab, but opening the sunroof and rolling down the windows is the first thing I do on a nice day. I enjoy the sound of the engine, the feel of the breeze, and the sun shining on me. I also feel like I'm connected to the outdoors, unlike all of my other sunroof equipped vehicles. And it's a lot more convenient than a cab. All in all, it's been an pleasant surprise.

Quick Reply: Targa or not?