Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 02:20 PM
dsmithmobile
Track Day

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lowered 2003 C2 advice please

Hi there,

New member from the uk here

Was after some advice from those in the know if possible?

Sorry about all the questions but any info is appreciated

I've had the car about a month but as it looked too high in standard form it needed lowering,I read loads of info on different springs etc but decided I needed coilovers as I wasn't sure if springs would achieve the desired ride height.
There only low end coilovers as I couldn't justify the price tag of the higher end kits so I don't expect them to ride great and it's more about the aesthetics for me as the car will never be taken to the track or driven particularly hard on the road to be honest.i've always had cars on coilovers so I'm used to firm ride etc.

Here's the car

Name:  porsche%20911%20996%20low.jpg
Views: 7133
Size:  399.2 KB

My main questions are at the height it is now,will there not be enough standard adjustment on the car to get it near the standard geo settings?

I had the cars alignment checked by a guy I know that does alignment and he said he couldn't get it in spec but assume he was using standard carrera 2 settings but have since seen M74 specs so are these the better settings to use?

And is the inability to get the alignment in spec down to the guy doing the job? or the fact that the car doesn't have the adjustment to allow it to be adjusted to standard spec now it's lowered?

Also since fitting the coilovers the car feels more nervous and twitchy at the rear especially on bumpy ground,would this mainly down to the toe setting? I've read that this is usually the cause but thought I'd ask for opinions on here.
If so again is there not enough adjustment to get the toe setting in spec or are adjustable arms needed?

Sorry again for all the questions but thanks in advance for any input

Regards
Dan
Old 05-02-2016, 03:39 PM
race27
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

car is too low to get rear camber into spec; its way too negative due to ride height, you need to raise it probably about 1/2-1" and everything will be fine again
Old 05-02-2016, 03:49 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Too low. You won't even be able to get x74 alignment specs with that height using stock suspension arms. Your rear toe is going to be way off attributing to rapid rear tire wear.

What "coilovers" did you get? Depending on spring rates, you could be oversprung and not have enough dampening. I've seen this on a lot of cheap CO's. You can try playing with tire pressures to minimize the twitchy or nervous nature of your setup.

Also good luck on speed bumps or road debris not taking out your oil pan too.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:54 PM
5senna5
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 64 Posts

Toe setting is only part of it, the toe link rod angle is way off now and causing bump steer. Getting toe in to spec won't fix that. Adjustable toe arm with bump steer corrections shims are needed. Same for your front tie rods. I did it to mine after lowering on Ohlins coilovers because the bump steer was dangerous at higher speeds. Completely fixed it.... You'll probably want to do adjustable upper rear control arm in order to dial camber back to reasonable too. I have RSS components on the back of my car aND they are phenomenal. The height youre at now is a pain in the ***, I'd come up at least .5".

Last edited by 5senna5; 05-02-2016 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Cuz
Old 05-02-2016, 08:59 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Why don't people ever give credit to the Porsche engineers for knowing what they are doing? Right now the car is a lovely paper weight.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:02 PM
5senna5
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 64 Posts

RSS upper contol arms and adjustable toe links
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2016, 12:05 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

For your viewing pleasure:

Old 05-03-2016, 03:00 AM
dsmithmobile
Track Day

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info,I will buy the adjustable arms and then see if he can correct the alignment.

Quick Reply: Lowered 2003 C2 advice please