Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Road Trip: Chi-Nash-Ashe-Tamp-Chap-DC

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:57 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 49 Posts

A quick update... Seems that time is not on my side on this trip. I had to cut out the back half of the trip in order to get back to Chicago by Saturday night. Bummer. I have done close to 2,000 miles so far and have loved it. The miles were hard though in that GT3 seat. At 6'3" and 215 pounds, they are quite a torture device for my body. I rolled the dice on that one and knew that I would have trouble on the 11 hour days. I was prepared I guess since I have done long tours on sport bikes and suffered mightily and got through it. Compared to that, the GT3 seats aren't so bad. I haven't had much time to drive and stop to shoot pics so this thread has been kind of pointless. Here are a few shots anyway. The backyard of my friend's place in West Asheville. My friend testing gear at his company. Rusty vehicles that are probably more comfortable than mine.

Last edited by XavierLaFlamme; 04-13-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:45 PM
cmd4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like your friend has one of the newer places built in west asheville. Amazing how west side keeps blowing up.Hope you grab a tasty burger at u-joint before you leave!
Old 04-13-2016, 08:53 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

If I did 11 hours driving in one day I would need to be hospitalized...for mental and physical damages.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:54 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cactus
If I did 11 hours driving in one day I would need to be hospitalized...for mental and physical damages.
Haha. So loud in my car, I listen to music with earplugs in and stereo cranked --Michael
Old 04-14-2016, 11:54 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Tomorrow I am heading out back to Chicago via Nashville. 11 hours in the saddle.

More later.

A new whip perhaps?

--Michael

Maybe even less comfortable than my 911.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:44 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

The road trip is in the books! I am glad to be home.

Here are the stats:

Miles: 2710

Total Days: 9

Driving Days: 5

Longest Day: 12 hours(twice)

Shortest Day: 6 hours(twice)

Highest speed: 100

Roads: All types but no gravel/dirt

Weather: From 28 Degrees and snow/sleet/freezing rain to Sunny and 85 degrees

Records Bought: 9(as follows)
Black Sabbath: Never Say Die, Technical Ecstasy, Born Again
Wire: Silk Skin Paws
That Petrol Emotion: Babble
Danzig: Lucifuge
Guided By Voices: Bee Thousand
Peter Gabriel: Self Titled
Ozzy: The Ultimate Sin

Times I listened to Ozzy, Diary of a Madman: 4

Worst Traffic: Leaving/Entering Chicago

Technical Problems: 2
1. Stuck Sunroof : I got it unstuck.

2. Alarm Problem: Kept going off. I solved it by fishing around under the dash for the wire that used to go to the glove box door sensor. I need to work on this one. It is a hassle.

Oil: 3/4s of a liter

Hockey Games Played: 3 Wins, 1 Loss

Regrets: None

Other Notes:

This drive was intended to be a shake down for a longer trip out west this summer. I will cover around 6,000 miles on that one.

I always learn a lot when I take the car for long runs. This time was no different. It was in fact kind of challenging. I wanted to touch base on a few things that occurred to me after I did all the work on the car and then tested it out.

996 GT3 Seats:

1. Oh my. They grip me very well. Too well. At 6'3" and 215, I am not small.

2. They are hard as hell after one hour. In traffic, they are miserable if you have been in them for a while already.

3. The fact that the pedals angle in towards the transmission tunnel only makes them more cramped.

4. I was able to mount them far back and that is one area where I give them a big thumbs up. Head clearance is perfect. Thanks Martin S. for selling them to me!!!!!

5. They are not touring seats!! Duh. You knew that. I knew that. But my dumb *** must test everything.

6. 12 hours in those seats at a time is ROUGH. As bad as touring on a vintage cafe racer.

7. I was hating life at the end of each day but oddly my back and legs were fine once I moved around and walked. I am thankful for that.

8. Those of you who have them or will get them probably will not use them in the way that I did. It isn't really that bad but be prepared if you do.

AWD-RWD Conversion: I am in no way any kind of real mechanic or expert. My observations about the conversion thus are not technical really. All feelings. I am good at feelings. I am an artist after all.

1. Front feels much lighter especially accelerating or on irregular pavement when turning.

2. Front transmits more feedback through the wheel now. So much so that I really want to be paying attention at all times gripping with two hands.

3. Front needs to be placed more carefully when cornering. In lower speed tight cornering it excels. At high speed sweepers it is a little lazier in getting to the point of turning. Could be my set up obviously. I am running RS tie rods, RS wheel carriers and BBS LMs(8.5s). It all feels different.

4. I can really notice how the engine and the driving wheels in the rear are pushing the car forward. I did not get that sensation very much before. It is freaking addictive. Wahoo!

BBS LMs:

1. Love them. No regrets at all. Not even a little.

RS Short Shifter and Golden Rod:

1. I didn't notice it. Not good, not bad. A little notcher but after this trip, the notchiness is less apparent.

Elephant Racing Bushings:

1. So much new stuff to pay attention to now, I can't really definitively say much. The suspension feels tight. That's all I got.

RS Ride Height:

1. Looks great.

2. No problems with speed bumps whatsoever. It seems to be perfect for my purposes. I drive everywhere without any hesitation.

If anyone has questions about anything, PM me.

--Michael

Last edited by XavierLaFlamme; 04-16-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:01 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really enjoyed your trip report, Michael. That must have been amazing to play on Predator ice. Too bad about your loss to the Canucks.

Also too bad you can't get a seat that works for you. My 993 was the most comfortable car I ever drove.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:53 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Your road trip threads always inspire me to go on more trips.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:13 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rinty
Really enjoyed your trip report, Michael. That must have been amazing to play on Predator ice. Too bad about your loss to the Canucks. Also too bad you can't get a seat that works for you. My 993 was the most comfortable car I ever drove.
My other seats are plenty comfortable. I am just stubborn and stupid. Haha.
--Michael
Old 04-18-2016, 07:52 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

I just put the stock seats back in.

Oh my lord, the comfort! Haha.

--Michael
Old 04-18-2016, 11:07 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ya gotta get Sabbaths "Sabotage". One of their best. :-)
Old 04-19-2016, 06:11 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Ya gotta get Sabbaths "Sabotage". One of their best. :-)
That record is in fact the only Sabbath record from the Ozzy years that I don't have.

I think I need to take another road trip and rectify that!

--Michael

Quick Reply: Road Trip: Chi-Nash-Ashe-Tamp-Chap-DC