Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Function First transmission mount inserts install!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 09:10 PM
bogdan_p
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Function First transmission mount inserts install!

Good evening all!

I just installed the Function First trans mount insert. I purchased the street version which is yellow. Total time from getting the car onto the lift, to driving off, was a leisurely hour. There are lots of little nuts and screws that hold the under-body panels on, but they all come off easily. I recommend an electric screw driver just to make life a little easier. Some install pictures are below.

Going on the lift. I've already lowered the car, so it took some wood, a jack, and a little cursing to get the lift arms underneath.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...NPamFEeUQxNUJJ

Two of the under body covers need to come to come for access to the transmission bushing. I took a brief shower in road debris as the panels were coming off. Not terrible to remove, lots of hardware holding them in place.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...hxYW90dkZjZ01j

Here is the bushing. It's easy to access. One thing to note is that the stock bushing feels really, really really sloppy. There is a lot of play if you apply leverage to one end of the bushing. It seems to have the material mostly in the center, hence the design of the Function First inserts.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...pGUWxiRF95YzJJ

Function First mount installed! Use some silicone on the bushing insert to help them slide into place. Reassembly is in reverse order.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...lTaVNHa25MV2pJ

Happy with the mod so far, including the fast shipping. I'm going to drive the car now, and see if there is any difference in driving feel.

Last edited by bogdan_p; 04-06-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the great write-up and pics!!!! This is going on my to do list...

Please let us know what you think after some drive time!!!
Old 04-06-2016, 09:30 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Thanks for taking on this mod. Impressions ASAP please!!
Old 04-06-2016, 09:31 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 737 Posts

how come I cannot see pics? I clicked on it, but nothing
Old 04-06-2016, 09:34 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Same here
Old 04-06-2016, 09:36 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I can't see the pictures either. I'm going to install mine tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:25 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 144 Posts

I got the pictures to work.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:35 PM
STG
Race Director

Anxiously waiting for any reviews. Curious if you'll be able to feel any difference. Wonder what the GT3 has for bushings??
Old 04-06-2016, 10:41 PM
STG
Race Director

http://www.suncoastparts.com/pdf/996997FFMOUNT.pdf

http://www.function-first.com/produc...s-mount-insert
Old 04-06-2016, 11:05 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Great Scott I've been waiting for this review all week and all you post is the install pics?? Can't wait to read your review. I have the parts in the cart just waiting to click order when you chime back in!
Old 04-06-2016, 11:06 PM
bogdan_p
Advanced

Here are some quick driving impressions post-install.

Throttle tip-in feels greatly improved, and the clutch engagement feels much more consistent. The "feel," of the driveline has been a little bit spongy in my opinion. Rev-match downshifting with the manual is much more pleasant and easier to get correct consistently. That's a big plus in my book. Now, the power train feels much more connected to the gas pedal. Looking at the stock bushing, I understand why it felt like a wet noodle to me. That's a major plus.

There is increased nvh from the driveline as a trade-off. Part of this is pleasant, and there is a nice mechanical sound that appears in the cabin. I suspect that if anyone sits in the back seat, they would really feel everything that is happening with the engine and transmission. The downside is that if you have anything metal in the center console, or change in the ash tray, you will definitely hear it rattling above 4,500rpm. This just means that I can't keep change in the ash tray... Shouldn't do that anyway

I purchased the middle grade stiffness for the bushing. There was some waffling between the race, and comfort. I'm glad I picked the sport. It's just enough of a change to be noticeable, but doesn't transmit all the vibration into the cabin like the super stiff bushing likely would.

The install is fairly straight forward, and the results are noticeable. For less than $150.00, I don't think you can go wrong.

I should point out that nvh (noise, vibration, harshness) is something that everyone has a different tolerance for. My previous car was a Viper, so it's possible that what I consider tolerable and fun might not be some else's cup of tea. If anything, take my impressions with a grain of salt.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:46 PM
STG
Race Director

Thanks for clearing up NVH! Did not know the abbreviation
Old 04-07-2016, 02:11 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Can you attempt to quantify the increase in NVH?? 50%? 100%? Are there particular RPMs where you notice it the most?

Originally Posted by bogdan_p
Here are some quick driving impressions post-install.

Throttle tip-in feels greatly improved, and the clutch engagement feels much more consistent. The "feel," of the driveline has been a little bit spongy in my opinion. Rev-match downshifting with the manual is much more pleasant and easier to get correct consistently. That's a big plus in my book. Now, the power train feels much more connected to the gas pedal. Looking at the stock bushing, I understand why it felt like a wet noodle to me. That's a major plus.

There is increased nvh from the driveline as a trade-off. Part of this is pleasant, and there is a nice mechanical sound that appears in the cabin. I suspect that if anyone sits in the back seat, they would really feel everything that is happening with the engine and transmission. The downside is that if you have anything metal in the center console, or change in the ash tray, you will definitely hear it rattling above 4,500rpm. This just means that I can't keep change in the ash tray... Shouldn't do that anyway

I purchased the middle grade stiffness for the bushing. There was some waffling between the race, and comfort. I'm glad I picked the sport. It's just enough of a change to be noticeable, but doesn't transmit all the vibration into the cabin like the super stiff bushing likely would.

The install is fairly straight forward, and the results are noticeable. For less than $150.00, I don't think you can go wrong.

I should point out that nvh (noise, vibration, harshness) is something that everyone has a different tolerance for. My previous car was a Viper, so it's possible that what I consider tolerable and fun might not be some else's cup of tea. If anything, take my impressions with a grain of salt.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:14 AM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 46 Posts

Maybe the comfort version would be a better compromise for some, stiffer than stock with an improvement in shifts and clutching but not such an increase in NVH.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:32 AM
bogdan_p
Advanced

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Can you attempt to quantify the increase in NVH?? 50%? 100%? Are there particular RPMs where you notice it the most?
I's say somewhere in the range of 25 to 50% increase over the "stock" noise. It's barely noticeable under 3,000rom where most of us probably do our driving.
The faster you spin the engine, the more "noise" you get.

Originally Posted by Dodaleca
Maybe the comfort version would be a better compromise for some, stiffer than stock with an improvement in shifts and clutching but not such an increase in NVH.
It's probably worth a shot to someone. Everyone is different, and there is a wide scope of driving habits.

I would likely not get the race version in this case unless it's a car that will be spending significant amounts of time at the track and little everywhere else.

Quick Reply: Function First transmission mount inserts install!