Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A stroller and car seat for moms and dads who don't want to give up their 997

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 03:06 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts
Default A stroller and car seat for moms and dads who don't want to give up their 997

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a couple things I've learned. First, the Cybex Aton 2 fits fine in a 997 rear seat, with or without cushions. The front seat has to move all the way forward but will lock in place with a standard recline without rubbing. My wife is 5'3" and says it's perfectly comfortable to ride in. The car seat also fits nicely in the frunk for after you've dropped the baby off and you want to carry a taller passenger in the front.

For a companion stroller, the Baby Jogger City Mini Zip fits in the frunk without removing any wheels. It's tight but it does fit. Remove the front wheels if you want it to rub on the carpet less. It has an optional Cybex attachment if you want to have a travel system. The attachment has to be removed for the stroller to fit in the frunk, but it's designed to be easy to do. Obviously, if you have the stroller in there, the car seat isn't, but I'd only put the stroller in there occasionally.

Finally, the rear window on the 997 is a greenhouse. Get tint or one of those cheap suction cup fabric shades to put back there.

-n.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:59 PM
SF911TT
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the write up!
Old 04-03-2016, 12:44 AM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I only wish I had known this a year ago, when I had to get a family car.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:01 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Beautiful kid!
Old 04-04-2016, 01:16 AM
CheckbookMechanic
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! I'm about to do this too, with one here and another on the way, finding a stroller that fits into the frunk is a life-saver.

My daughter and her fur-brother.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:33 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Got a Cybex Aton 2 for my inbound 991.1 and love it. Another great compatible stroller is the BabyZen Yoyo +. The 2016 model can be bought with Cybex adapters sold separately for $50. It's the smallest stroller sold on the market and is approved for airplane carry on.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:25 PM
osunick
Racer

Yeah if you have an awd 997.1 you may want to go with the Yoyo. I believe the .1's have a smaller frunk because of the lumps for the cd changers and nav. 997.2's have much more space due to the lack of intrusion. Also worth noting, the Cybex Aton 2 fits in the frunk too! Of course, not with the stroller, but if you aren't carrying the kid and want to carry a taller passenger, it pops right in.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:45 PM
jglaze
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by osunick
Yeah if you have an awd 997.1 you may want to go with the Yoyo. I believe the .1's have a smaller frunk because of the lumps for the cd changers and nav. 997.2's have much more space due to the lack of intrusion. Also worth noting, the Cybex Aton 2 fits in the frunk too! Of course, not with the stroller, but if you aren't carrying the kid and want to carry a taller passenger, it pops right in.
The Quinny Zapp Xtra fits nicely in the frunk as an alternative option and is great for infants as well because the insert can face forward or rearward when pushing the stroller. As for the car seat, it seems like there aren't many that don't fit, though most, if not all, do require a full-forward positioning if the passenger seat. We're fitting a 4 year old and a 10 month old in the back...thankfully my wife is on the "shorter" side as well.

Love the red interior. As an aside, are those yogurt drop snacks in that back seat photo? My kids love those things...when I'm not eating them.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:58 PM
osunick
Racer

Originally Posted by jglaze
Love the red interior. As an aside, are those yogurt drop snacks in that back seat photo? My kids love those things...when I'm not eating them.
Nope! Gerber's twists.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:34 PM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Kudos to you guys for using your 997 as a family vehicle - after trying to fit square pegs into round holes we bot a minivan and haven't looked back (tho it helps that I can keep the "fun" cars too!). The power sliding doors pretty much sealed the deal, even before factoring in the cavernous cargo area, TV/DVD entertainment and ability to seat 8. Had several friends who swore pre-kids they would never own one become believers. Flame suit is on but anyone with 2 or more young kids should seriously look at one. Why make your parenting life any harder than it already is?

Old 04-04-2016, 05:50 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by tanger
Kudos to you guys for using your 997 as a family vehicle - after trying to fit square pegs into round holes we bot a minivan and haven't looked back (tho it helps that I can keep the "fun" cars too!). The power sliding doors pretty much sealed the deal, even before factoring in the cavernous cargo area, TV/DVD entertainment and ability to seat 8. Had several friends who swore pre-kids they would never own one become believers. Flame suit is on but anyone with 2 or more young kids should seriously look at one. Why make your parenting life any harder than it already is?

SWAGGER WAGON | Toyota - YouTube
The fact that the minivan isn't in your signature says it all.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:53 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always pictured myself having a Mercedes W124 E320 wagon with a GM LSx or Mercedes M119 and Tremec T56 Magnum swap as a family car, but it's nice to know the 997 can "baby" as well.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:05 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by tanger
Agreed. Several of my neighbors rock the Odyssey to Sienna. They are pretty sweet and miles ahead of any 7 passenger SUV. However, I swore I'd never get a minivan and I'm sticking to it. I'm on 7-pass SUV #2 and its still working for me/us.

The 997 works with boosters, car seats etc..but if I had to transport a kid daily in a car seat, that would get real old real fast.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:10 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
I always pictured myself having a Mercedes W124 E320 wagon with a GM LSx or Mercedes M119 and Tremec T56 Magnum swap as a family car, but it's nice to know the 997 can "baby" as well.
Yeah, you're going to want the newest and most reliable appliance hauling thing available to you. A built in vacuum cleaner is going to trump a LS1 swap into a 1980's wagon any day. Instead of hunting oil leaks, you're going to be hunting some rotten food item stinking up the interior with the vacuum.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:10 PM
AltVelo
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Can't blame you for trying but as tanger noted as other, there are better vehicles suited for this task! BUT the good news if you can come back to the 911 when she's older. My 8 year old fits comfy back there.. clearly it's not designed for an adult.

Quick Reply: A stroller and car seat for moms and dads who don't want to give up their 997