Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to check if readiness codes are set?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 03:46 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

It took 3 drive cycles to reset on my 993TT

Car has to be stone cold between cycles. Like sitting for 4-6 hours between each.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:58 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
It took 3 drive cycles to reset on my 993TT

Car has to be stone cold between cycles. Like sitting for 4-6 hours between each.
I have done 4 of the BMW cycles and I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere.

If I can just identify what actually has to be done on the Porsche one I feel like I'd be in a better place.

Any help identifying what this cycle breaks down to would be appreciated.

G
Old 03-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

what monitors are you still missing?
Old 03-28-2016, 04:29 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
what monitors are you still missing?
My car still reads as this...........

Old 03-28-2016, 04:31 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

NO check engine light.

G
Old 03-28-2016, 06:25 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never let it sit and idle. I think that some of the codes have to reset before others. I had a route that I would drive early in the AM where I didn't have to stop.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:09 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 83 Posts

I went through this with my '96. Did the BMW cycle earlier morning on 2 consecutive days. Went to DMV and failed again for readiness codes. Did the same cycle again on another 2 consecutive days and all was good. The cycle works, but might take multiple tries.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:31 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by richardew
I never let it sit and idle. I think that some of the codes have to reset before others. I had a route that I would drive early in the AM where I didn't have to stop.
What specifically is your sequence?

You just start up and drive for x minutes between 1800-2000rpm and.....?

Thks

G
Old 03-28-2016, 07:36 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Perhaps this is the problem...

"I have a Bluetooth ODBII reader"

See if there is a fellow rennlister close by with a generic OBD II reader, or purchase one yourself.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:44 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

I don't quite understand? Are you saying that the (wireless) ODB2 reader is wrong? It connect to the car and tells me the same information that European Performance tells me, which is that my car is not ready to be emission tested due to the state of the readiness flags or whatnot.

For all the times the BMW drive cycle has been passed around the forum, you'd think that somebody smart would have looked at that enigma code of a Porsche cycle and figured out what it means in the real world.

In my minds eye I see myself driving around Raleigh at low speed and low rpm for the next month as my deadline ticks down, slowly going insane

G

Originally Posted by nine9six
Perhaps this is the problem...

"I have a Bluetooth ODBII reader"

See if there is a fellow rennlister close by with a generic OBD II reader, or purchase one yourself.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:48 PM
tsky
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I managed to get readiness codes in three drives after I cleared a CEL (misfire). I used the BMW drive cycle but I stopped at stop signs and signals. I did the slow part around my neighborhood and the medium speed cycle on an expressway with a 45 mph speed limit, again stopping at signals.

What I gathered from that "Porsche OBD II Test Drive" jpeg is that it is important during those driving phases to vary the load and rpm (no cruise control!). I upshifted sooner than I normally do to get those lower rpms.

Obviously one of the first two drives didn't work but if I had to guess, I think I didn't wait long enough for the engine to cool (I did one in the morning and one in the afternoon).

I have a generic OBD2 scanner which only reports generic codes and whether it is ready or not.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:57 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tsky
I managed to get readiness codes in three drives after I cleared a CEL (misfire). I used the BMW drive cycle but I stopped at stop signs and signals. I did the slow part around my neighborhood and the medium speed cycle on an expressway with a 45 mph speed limit, again stopping at signals.
Yes, I've done that, except the faster bit at 50-55mph on the freeway in the slow lane early in the morning at the weekend. I've done it and done it again. No Cruise Control, not even the option of it as I lost it when I installed Tores LED's. The load varies, but as minimally as possible, because it's all done by hand or eye.

But what is the breakdown for the Porsche cycle? It's all very well saying that you don't idle the car BUT if the P cycle doesn't start recording till 10 minutes AFTER the cats are up to temp, then why not? How long does the cats take to get to 300 degrees? More questions than answers.

G
Old 03-28-2016, 08:10 PM
Grapeape
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 43 Posts

I could not get ready codes using the drive cycle approach also and evetually gave up. I just drove it every chance I could, putting a few hundred miles on it with short and long trips which worked for me.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:10 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat
I don't quite understand? Are you saying that the (wireless) ODB2 reader is wrong? It connect to the car and tells me the same information that European Performance tells me, which is that my car is not ready to be emission tested due to the state of the readiness flags or whatnot.

For all the times the BMW drive cycle has been passed around the forum, you'd think that somebody smart would have looked at that enigma code of a Porsche cycle and figured out what it means in the real world.

In my minds eye I see myself driving around Raleigh at low speed and low rpm for the next month as my deadline ticks down, slowly going insane

G
I went on the assumption that you were executing the drive cycle correctly, and thought that maybe it was your bluetooth code reader...What mode is your obd reader in?
Check out this link, more specifically post #6 and the link provided within.

Just trying to help...
Dont shoot the messenger; I understand that you're frustrated.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...our-flags.html

Added document from the workshop manual
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Readiness_code_993-1997-07.pdf (18.9 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by nine9six; 03-28-2016 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added document
Old 03-28-2016, 08:47 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

I read all this and the big problem is that the not going into reverse point is debunked 6 posts later. I understand people are trying to help and I appreciate it. The thing that I just don't get is, that if there is a Porsche cycle, even if it's in gobbledegook, why hasn't it been converted to simple steps and shared on the forum?

Quick Reply: How to check if readiness codes are set?