Cleaned out my radiators

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 01:13 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Yup.
Was all that crud sandwiched *between* the radiators? Yikes...

Time to look into a front bumper removal HOWTO...
Old 04-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, that was what was in front of, and behind the radiators! I shudder to think what it looks like between the radiator and the condenser.

My oil and coolant temps dropped about 5-7 degrees after doing this. I have a lot of bent fins on the AC condensers (chassis has 83k on it), so methinks taking the front bumper cover off to do a deep clean of the radiator and condensers would help massively. Thinking about using some of this stuff.

I'll do so in the next few weeks, as I'm ordering a center radiator/coolant flush kit.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts
Default My radiators at 194K miles

I never cleaned my 2000 Boxster S radiators until 194K miles. What do they look like? Not too bad actually. The first pic below is what was between the radiator and A/C condenser. Some of the crud was like cement and would not come off, but actually, that was only a few square inches. Sprayed on some simple green and got it all pretty clean.

Not as bad as one would think after 12 years of all year, all weather driving. Lotsa paranoia out there.

Peace,
Bruce in Philly

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/brucedebonis/car/Rad1.JPG
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/brucedebonis/car/Rad2.JPG
Old 04-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Man, that's a lot of debris! What were your coolant/oil temps like before and after the cleaning?
Old 04-10-2015, 04:22 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Man, that's a lot of debris! What were your coolant/oil temps like before and after the cleaning?
Rock solid fine. Needle barely ever moved. I did it because I had the time, there was a ton of miles on the car, and I was under the influence of internet paranoia. Not that this was a bad idea to do, I was glad I did it. But unless plan on keeping your car 12 years, run up 197K miles, and use it as and all year daily driver.... well you don't have to do this at all.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-10-2015, 04:38 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tomc66
I use a 12" long blow gun with a curved tip, hooked to my air compressor. Worked great.
See my pics above...... my radiator/condensor space had stuff that would no way get blown out by compressed air. It had solidified and was rock solid. It did come off when softened with water and hit with a hose, but air would never move this. I chipped some away and left a few square inches of "cement".

But then it was in there a long time.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Rock solid fine. Needle barely ever moved. I did it because I had the time, there was a ton of miles on the car, and I was under the influence of internet paranoia. Not that this was a bad idea to do, I was glad I did it. But unless plan on keeping your car 12 years, run up 197K miles, and use it as and all year daily driver.... well you don't have to do this at all.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Were you getting your temp readings off the temp gauge in the instrument cluster, or were you reading it off the CAN, which is more accurate? If I recall, the water temp gauges in our cars are basically useless. Not so with the oil pressure and oil temp gauges, however.

Was this before you started datalogging stuff on Durametric?
Old 04-11-2015, 10:13 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Were you getting your temp readings off the temp gauge in the instrument cluster, or were you reading it off the CAN, which is more accurate? If I recall, the water temp gauges in our cars are basically useless. Not so with the oil pressure and oil temp gauges, however.

Was this before you started datalogging stuff on Durametric?
No Durametric back then. The temp gauge was solid and didn't move much but it did move slightly. Then, one day on a hot July day, I blew the infamous, crappy, constantly failing, coolant tank and my temps shot up. The gauge was definitely working that day. I had the car flat bedded.

So.... should I be so wild as to speculate (hey, it is the internet and I am an engineerexpertdesingermechanic) the temp gauges work just fine. The cooling systems in our cars just work. Why is this so unbelievable?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-11-2015, 11:20 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Probably because of the oil temperatures.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:14 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Bruce In Philly;12194460]I never cleaned my 2000 Boxster S radiators until 194K miles. What do they look like? Not too bad actually. The first pic below is what was between the radiator and A/C condenser. Some of the crud was like cement and would not come off, but actually, that was only a few square inches. Sprayed on some simple green and got it all pretty clean.

Not as bad as one would think after 12 years of all year, all weather driving. Lotsa paranoia out there.

Peace,
Bruce in Philly

Old 03-27-2016, 09:51 PM
Sydneysixer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I echo Bruce in Philly's comments … I removed the bumper to clean my MY05 997.1 last month and was surprised how little trash/ leaf litter came out. I almost wanted more to make the whole exercise seem worthwhile - link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...-from-rads.jpg

In any case, peace of mind knowing the rads are clear. However, as I discovered, it's a good idea to inspect the lower parts of the radiator brackets for surface rust while the bumper is off, so these can be treated if necessary.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:00 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I pull a massive amount of debris out from in front of the radiators whenever I clean them. I probably do it three or four times a year. The close proximity to the ground means we get leaves and other trash, as well as a good dousing with water, which on my car, helps form a solid layer of crud at the bottom of the radiator that gets awfully hard to clean because it packs in between the vanes of the radiators.

I use a small-diameter flexible hose on a shop vac. It' gets it pretty clean.

In addition to leaves, I've pulled cigarette butts, rocks, nails, screws, bits of paper, cardboard and plastic grocery bags out of mine. The weirdest thing I ever pulled out of there was half of a squirrel's tail.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:33 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I have removed a fair amount of debris when vacuuming out the radiators on my 2008. Actually, I found that most of the debris was at the outside vertical edges of each radiator area It might be my imagination but it seems the oil temp is a bit cooler on those hot days. I am also wondering now if it is the outside edge where the material can get between the heat exchangers.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:45 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

That gangsta Momo in Alcantara! Shift ****! Gimme!

Quick Reply: Cleaned out my radiators