Sponsored by:

Attractive Non-OE Interior Pictures Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:41 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Attractive Non-OE Interior Pictures Thread

I've always felt that the 993 stitching pattern on the seats and door panels were a little bit of a step backwards from 964s and other earlier cars --- a bit too plain. I wonder if this was a cost savings measure --- after all the 993 MSRP was several thousand less than the 964 model that it replaced.

The traditional narrative has been that Toyota helped Porsche set up an assembly line for the 993 that was more efficient ---- I wonder if a reduction in upholstery stitching time contributed to reduced 993 MSRP as well.

I thought I'd create a thread that captures this sentiment and also tries to show how folks have tried to add visual interest into the 993 interior. I'm a fan of period-inspired modifications. Perhaps these are detrimental to resale ---- this thread is not about resale. (I'm here to engage in my tinkering/driving hobby --- not to think about $$$).

Anyways, here is an example of door panels in earlier 911s --- note the interesting details.

Compare this with the bone standard 993 door panel --- which is a bit dreary sometimes if the color completely uniform -- (below is a picture of my own car)

1997+ 993s had a different door panel style that allowed for some two-tone contrast that continued the black "stripe" on the dashboard below:

See below stitch pattern on how someone tried to get more visual interest into the 993 interior-door-panel-inserts without being horrendously garish ---

And furthermore below shows a picture of a 993 where someone introduced stitching at the top of the door panel where there typically is no stitching ---

Here is a really attractive one from RL history whereby the owner used a stitch pattern that purposely went "outside the lines" of the inserts in the door panel --- perhaps to try and reduce the visual mass of the 97+ door panel insert

Below shows lots of neat plaid -

Quick Reply: Attractive Non-OE Interior Pictures Thread