PCCB & Cast iron Brakes / pads technical information

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 11:06 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,135 Likes on 612 Posts
Default ReDisk Review

No I didn't get a discount to write this... but you might if you PM me

Why did I choose to refurbish vs buy Surface Transforms? After I decided it was a dead man’s car I wanted it to be in semi-collector shape with all OE wear parts on the shelf, while at the same time being able to do track days and drivers events. Coming from another PCCB car I also hate how dirty the race pads/disks make everything, but I like the durability of the steel setup.

PROS

OEM original disks at a little more than 1/2 the cost of ST and 1/4 the cost of new. The OEM disks can now be included in a resell and are as good or better than new (oxy seal & track prepped). Getting all the usual suspects like no brake dust, fade, squeaks etc. It’s also not lost on anyone that the rotational mass delta of PCCB is the equivalent of a 180lbs passenger in the car. They take a Carboteq reading when they are done so any good shop with a reader can test your refurbished disks for wear.

CONS

Refurbish probably only works once, so if your refurbishing to track them just be prepared to EOL the disks. As mentioned in another thread the process to refurbish the disks can expose the wear indicators (this is per design), this means that there is no visual way to detect if the new refurbished disks are toast and ready to be replaced.

RISKS

It’s possible that’s disks can be too far gone to be refurbished. So you will be out shipping if they do not ‘take’ to the process and they may not be recoverable for use... although if they dont take to the process they were a death trap anyway lol.

EXPERIENCE

Once you have decided you’re interested you have to do some preliminary eligibility evaluation to reduce the risk of shipping disks that are too far gone.

To do this you simply provide high definition pictures, the metrics printed on each disk hat and the current weight. I used the 10k gram scale at the office and just balanced it on the side. Carboteq is not essential because without the original readings (invented in 2017) there is nothing to compare the current reading to.

ReDisk is clearly customer service first company. My first request was “I don’t want to deal with shipping, customs, VAT or anything other than packing them up and I probably speak for most of the guys that will use your service.” The simplest way to do this was to provide them one of my companies to ship from and back to.

So they figured out everything for me and provided the paperwork to fill in the blanks and DHL picked them up from the house. I’m in Idaho about as far away as anyone on here and shipping was $220 there and $240 back.

The process took a few months from when they got them to when I got them back, not fast but not slow considering how far away they were shipped. They were very good about giving me information around how well the disks were taking to the process and the timeline.

CHRISTMAS

They were packed up nicer than when I sent them and they provided a nice packet with my readings and disk before and after info. Other than the color being great, they are smooth and look new I don’t really know what else to look for. Will they be used on the car… we shall see when my next track day is and I’ll figure out if I want to go to the effort of the swap.

-------------
Attached Images       

Last edited by Wonderdan; 02-14-2023 at 12:15 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Wonderdan:
996TS (05-11-2023), Julian Chu (10-04-2023), null (04-03-2023), Redisc (02-14-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 11:25 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Default Evaluate your own disks

courtesy of Ngng...

Each wear ring represents 33% of the disks life (there are three per surface). This can be a visual indicator of how much "material" you've worn down. Each disk also has the STARTING WEIGHT and MINIMUM WEIGHT on the disk, by determining where the current weight falls between these numbers you can quickly determine the estimated % wear of the disk per the recommended spec.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Wonderdan; 02-13-2023 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:45 PM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

Great write up, Dan! Extremely helpful. I’ve been in touch with ReDisc, too, and can attest to the excellent customer service and willingness to educate you on the ins and outs of their process.

I’m torn between buying a set of their refinished discs vs Surface Transforms. I like the fact that ST can be refinished 3 times and each time costs $600 per corner. Even if my GT3 isn’t a dead man’s car, I may just keep the ST’s even if I move to an RS and sell steels with the GT3.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:31 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fayraree

I’m torn between buying a set of their refinished discs vs Surface Transforms. I like the fact that ST can be refinished 3 times and each time costs $600 per corner. Even if my GT3 isn’t a dead man’s car, I may just keep the ST’s even if I move to an RS and sell steels with the GT3.
Yea it’s a good debate, if I wasn’t married to my build sheet I prob would have gone that direction. Though if I thought I had enough time to wear out even one cycle of surface transforms i should do it in a different car lol. Back to the age old debate… if your really wanting to be a track demon it’s prob best to build up the GT3 vs waste money on an RS.

Last edited by Wonderdan; 02-14-2023 at 12:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wonderdan:
fayraree (02-15-2023), Robocop305 (02-20-2023)

Quick Reply: PCCB & Cast iron Brakes / pads technical information