Best Insurance in BC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 05:10 PM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Best Insurance in BC?

Happy New Year!

I sold my 993tt recently and take delivery of 997.2 GT3 RS in a few weeks. I had a Hagerty policy for the 993 but the GT3 does not qualify for them ( strange criteria wrt age of one's daily driver).

Have any of you with newer 911's in BC found anything better than ICBC?

Also what, if any, insurance do you have for track days and is DE/autocross different to other track events in Canada/US?

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers

Mark
Old 01-01-2015, 05:27 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used ICBC for the road -- I actually wasn't aware that there was an alternative, but I'd love to hear more about that.

For track use (in the US only), I've used OnTrackInsurance.com (run by a Rennlist member) in the past. They only cover the US, but they're flexible and better priced than the competition, in my limited experience. I know a couple of people who have made claims and they weren't difficult.

The one-day events in the PNW don't really make it as cost effective as the multi-day events back east or in the southern US, since their coverage is per-event, not per day.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:31 PM
gruppe75
Racer

Mark, PM sent
Old 01-03-2015, 01:17 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I used ICBC for the road -- I actually wasn't aware that there was an alternative, but I'd love to hear more about that.

For track use (in the US only), I've used OnTrackInsurance.com (run by a Rennlist member) in the past. They only cover the US, but they're flexible and better priced than the competition, in my limited experience. I know a couple of people who have made claims and they weren't difficult.

The one-day events in the PNW don't really make it as cost effective as the multi-day events back east or in the southern US, since their coverage is per-event, not per day.

Thanks Charlie - good to know re: US track coverage.

It sounds as though Canadian Direct Insurance is the only other real alternative in BC - I will see how rates/coverages compare and report back.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 01-03-2015, 03:11 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience over past 8 years and 4 Porsches is that the private insurers (other than perhaps Canadian Direct) essentially don't want Porsches. In every case all ICBC was the only option. Don't know about DE/Track insurance any more. I had a DE claim many years ago and was covered (1981) but then ICBC go wise although I did hear of one person with a GT3 getting covered for third party damage at least about 18 months ago.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:40 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What John said ^^^^ Private insures can't "decline" insuring certain brands/models. What they do instead is price themselves out of the market, thereby declining to insure them... They happily ensure my 2012 GTI with good rates, but are 50%-double more costly on our Cayman S, 997 S and Cayenne TT...

Cheers
Old 01-23-2015, 10:35 AM
gruppe75
Racer

"I sold my 993tt recently and take delivery of 997.2 GT3 RS in a few weeks"

Have you received your GT3 RS yet? Would love to see some pic's
Old 01-23-2015, 02:01 PM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Was supposed to arrive today, now Monday First world sadness.

Will definitely have some photos up soon!

Cheers,

Mark

Quick Reply: Best Insurance in BC?