Notices

The Slippery Slope

Old 04-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Slippery Slope

As the new season approaches, we inevitably rationalize our cravings and the endless expenses incurred in 'improving' our cars. It might be prudent to reflect on this process somewhat, lest we become mindless lemmings, obsessively forfeiting the inherent pleasure in our Porsche DE experience.

There are always 'valid' improvements possible for our cars.
In my 996 C4S, I hit the slippery slope at a full gallop, with my VISA card throbbing! As an industrial designer, I flattered myself with a technical appreciation for each and every gizmo!
I was reliving my Yoshimura Honda days!

IPD plenum, cold air intake, X-pipe exhaust, ECU flash, extended sump and baffle, short shifter, lowered springs, sway bars, shocks, GT3 seat and more.

I rationalized the 'sleep at night' issues of the IMS issues, and had multiple conversations with Jake Raby, et al. When I was able to buy the 997.2 with the new engine, I was finally able to put the IMS nightmares to rest.

Each modification did offer an improvement, however, the cost in comfort and drivability as a road car, became more and more compromised.

Some of the guys are building track specific cars, and this seems to be the best solution for optimizing the car. However, it comes with a huge cost in hardware, (truck and trailer), storage, and transportation complications.

In retrospect, I now see the wisdom in enjoying a minimally modified car. For me, the 'Arrive and Drive' situation, with LCMT a mere 80 minutes from my home, is an absolute joy! As I was told, 'There will always be a faster car, and a faster driver nearby.'

The challenge is not so much about speed, but rather about enjoyment!!!
Whenever I plan to descend that slippery slope again, with the 997, I ask an instructor to take a few laps in my car, with me as passenger. Invariably, they seem to gain an extra half G in cornering speed, and pull a hundred horsepower out of thin air!

My control over the benefit of hardware is minimal. A racing seat and R compound tires, were the most significant improvements, by far.

With age one becomes far more comfortable with one's observations and insight, and though I will inevitably improve my driving skills, I would rather improve my mental capacity for greater pleasure. Over this process, I can exert greater control, and ultimately derive greater enjoyment.

We enjoy a tremendous privilege with RSR and LCMT, almost impossible to duplicate anywhere else in the global 911 sphere.

As KW told me six years ago, "Just have fun!"

BTW, I wrote an essay about 'the slope', which is still available on the RSR site.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:21 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 159 Posts

Joe ,

You think too much ... lol

Wait, let me rephrase that , you have too much time to think !!!
Old 04-05-2017, 08:35 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

"Arrive and drive" suits me to a T. Keeping my car roadworthy and a few small modifications is about all that I can afford. I'm trying to avoid the slippery slope, that track day siren song! See, now I've gone and changed cars. Perhaps a small increment, but changing from an '01 Boxster S with a tiptronic to an '04 Boxster S with a 6 speed manual makes quite a difference! I admit it was mostly due to my annoyance at seeing guys with the same car as mine (not tip) pulling away from me in the straights! Slippery slope. And there was nothing left to fix on the '01...
KW will laugh because he thinks that I am always fixing my car. He's right, of course, but then my wife thinks the same thing!
Old 04-05-2017, 09:46 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Lapin
As the new season approaches, we inevitably rationalize our cravings and the endless expenses incurred in 'improving' our cars. It might be prudent to reflect on this process somewhat, lest we become mindless lemmings, obsessively forfeiting the inherent pleasure in our Porsche DE experience.

There are always 'valid' improvements possible for our cars.
In my 996 C4S, I hit the slippery slope at a full gallop, with my VISA card throbbing! As an industrial designer, I flattered myself with a technical appreciation for each and every gizmo!
I was reliving my Yoshimura Honda days!

IPD plenum, cold air intake, X-pipe exhaust, ECU flash, extended sump and baffle, short shifter, lowered springs, sway bars, shocks, GT3 seat and more.

I rationalized the 'sleep at night' issues of the IMS issues, and had multiple conversations with Jake Raby, et al. When I was able to buy the 997.2 with the new engine, I was finally able to put the IMS nightmares to rest.

Each modification did offer an improvement, however, the cost in comfort and drivability as a road car, became more and more compromised.

Some of the guys are building track specific cars, and this seems to be the best solution for optimizing the car. However, it comes with a huge cost in hardware, (truck and trailer), storage, and transportation complications.

In retrospect, I now see the wisdom in enjoying a minimally modified car. For me, the 'Arrive and Drive' situation, with LCMT a mere 80 minutes from my home, is an absolute joy! As I was told, 'There will always be a faster car, and a faster driver nearby.'

The challenge is not so much about speed, but rather about enjoyment!!!
Whenever I plan to descend that slippery slope again, with the 997, I ask an instructor to take a few laps in my car, with me as passenger. Invariably, they seem to gain an extra half G in cornering speed, and pull a hundred horsepower out of thin air!

My control over the benefit of hardware is minimal. A racing seat and R compound tires, were the most significant improvements, by far.

With age one becomes far more comfortable with one's observations and insight, and though I will inevitably improve my driving skills, I would rather improve my mental capacity for greater pleasure. Over this process, I can exert greater control, and ultimately derive greater enjoyment.

We enjoy a tremendous privilege with RSR and LCMT, almost impossible to duplicate anywhere else in the global 911 sphere.

As KW told me six years ago, "Just have fun!"

BTW, I wrote an essay about 'the slope', which is still available on the RSR site.
Lots of wisdom in your post, Joe.
My original interest in the Cayman started with the same conclusion, but eventually went off the rails.
A dead stock Porsche with suitable tires and especially snug seats and harnesses is enormously capable.
Looking forward to seeing you folks soon.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:17 PM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Default Subtle wisdom

Phil,

I always think of you as a capable, intelligent guy.
Surely your choice in driving that wanked out 944 reflects some deep insight.
You are not just a pretty face!
Old 04-06-2017, 07:14 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 159 Posts

Thank you Joe,

I've also become a fairly competent mechanic ... fixing that "wanked" out race car ... lol
keeps me busy !

Just remember , that slippery slope is never that far away
Old 04-06-2017, 07:23 AM
D rsa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said Joe!
It is not about how fast your car is, but how fast YOU are.
It is not how fast you go, but how little you brake.
Just have fun and enjoy the DE.
Dan
Old 04-06-2017, 08:48 AM
Boxster dude
Racer

Originally Posted by D rsa
Well said Joe!
It is not about how fast your car is, but how fast YOU are.
It is not how fast you go, but how little you brake.
Just have fun and enjoy the DE.
Dan
Rennsport has a Yoda
(Yoda; A wise teacher with a special connection to the "Force")
Old 04-06-2017, 09:13 AM
Boxster dude
Racer

Joe,
Insightful, yet here I sit in one of the hollows of Porschedum, looking at a new GT4 converted to a full blown "ClubSport". Hopefully the proud owner is going to race this beauty (DE's would be a waste). Some slopes are steeper than others, each with it's own threshold for reasonableness. Pick the one that's right for you and enjoy the slide, provided you remember that the most important performance part is the one between the steering wheel and the seat.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:23 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joes knows his stuff!

I also like this line "It's not how fast you go, but how little you brake".

Just want to add, on the flip side you can't be too frugal either. I learned that the wrong way last year and cheaped out on tires. Long story short, it was the worst mistake ever, it must have threw me off for 3 events. Although on the positive side, I have become very good at drifting! lol AND that part of the brain that registers fear....well mine is in for repair!

Make sure the basics are covered, safety first

Let's have a great season!
Old 04-06-2017, 10:08 AM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

We do not buy a Porsche to save money!
On the contrary, they are like a mistress, a guilty pleasure.
Every time we pass a Victoria's Secret we buy her another bra, which she does not need!

IMHO, the 'slope' is not only about money, but also about hope and expectation.
Let's cherish and maintain what we have, and appreciate it within it's true potential.
It's best to enjoy the process with feeling, and perfecting our manual dexterity!

4 Porsches in the last 43 years.
ONE WIFE over the same time frame.
Still improving 'my line'.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:19 PM
serpags
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boxster dude
Joe,
Insightful, yet here I sit in one of the hollows of Porschedum, looking at a new GT4 converted to a full blown "ClubSport". Hopefully the proud owner is going to race this beauty (DE's would be a waste). Some slopes are steeper than others, each with it's own threshold for reasonableness. Pick the one that's right for you and enjoy the slide, provided you remember that the most important performance part is the one between the steering wheel and the seat.

Well said !!
Old 04-07-2017, 11:42 AM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Lapin
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

We do not buy a Porsche to save money!
On the contrary, they are like a mistress, a guilty pleasure.
Every time we pass a Victoria's Secret we buy her another bra, which she does not need!

IMHO, the 'slope' is not only about money, but also about hope and expectation.
Let's cherish and maintain what we have, and appreciate it within it's true potential.
It's best to enjoy the process with feeling, and perfecting our manual dexterity!

4 Porsches in the last 43 years.
ONE WIFE over the same time frame.
Still improving 'my line'.
Anastasia is certainly a mistress.... scantily clad and does not wear a bra. Very expensive too, and such a guilty pleasure. Thanks for reminding me how much as I sit at work. Thank god she desires me as much as I do her.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Mistresses, bras, expensive guilty pleasures, are we a sad bunch of "GUYS", or what? Joe what have you started, all this introspection...I think we need group therapy..... ON THE TRACK THAT IS
Old 04-09-2017, 11:20 PM
tvr-4
Instructor

Many different ways to end up on the "slippery slope". For me, safety & building driving skill became priorities after doing a couple of DE events.

I started out with a clean 996 TT street car, only mods were suspension, seats, roll bar, harnesses. Two things that changed my perspective: 1) Seeing a couple of cars wadded up, and 2) Realizing I was driving a car that was way ahead of my skill (too fast to properly learn on).

I sold the car, took a year off to come to terms with what I really wanted to do, then bought a race-ready 944 Turbo with high quality cage, well set up suspension, and stock engine / tranny => wanted something safe and raw that I can learn on, affordable on consumables, and that I can afford to take home in a bucket if things went wrong at the track.

As you state, that came at the price of dealing with storage, a trailer, and not being able to drive the car on the street... but that's what I felt was best for my personal situation and the parameters mentioned above (learn to drive, as safely as possible).

The safety piece seems to have taken on a life of its own and while I don't race (yet), the next pieces on the slipery slope are multi-nozzle fire system (addition to the bottle), halo seats, and a racing suit... and of course tireless maintenance to make sure the car is tip-top at the events.

Not a cheap hobby by any means, but can't think of anything that comes close for me!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Slippery Slope