Notices

Title: #61 takes its last breath of the season

Old 09-09-2016, 08:21 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Title: #61 takes its last breath of the season

Hello fellow Rennsporters
Well another season will soon be coming to an end, unfortunately #61 will miss the final fun filled track days. After a season of Rennsport DE’s and 3 podiums in Club Tremblant enduro races it finally happened, last Saturday; the engine decided to start mixing oil and coolant and Voila…on the way up into Namrow she decided to dump a foot wide, 300 foot long streak of coolant/oil milkshake on the track and down pit lane.
Damm, it was the first session of the morning and I was bedding in the new pads prior to the day’s club enduro race. Out came the absorbent and brooms and I became the flaggers best friend, (sarcasm). Track support graciously gave me a tow to the pits and there she sat regurgitating that unmistakable milkshake.
Looking on the bright side it couldn’t have happened in a safer place and no body panels got reshaped. Upon further reflection the ol Croc had close to 38,000 track kilometers over 3 seasons. When prepping the car for the track we addressed the easiest of known weaknesses and a robust maintenance schedule was put in place. But hey, we all know the expression “sh@*&t happens”. Our good friends at Garage Matt came to the rescue and got the car home in excellent shape before my wife could get to the track which was a 3 hour drive, oh she was not smiling.
So instead of being at the track last weekend I got to spend it floating around the pool contemplating life and enjoying some bubbly in the spa, life isn’t half bad. Spending quality time with my better half was something I don’t get enough of and realized I miss. Of course the typical questions of why am I doing this arose? Why am I driving around the track going through 4 sets of Nitto’s per season among many other consumables?
Well the answer is simple; It’s the realization of a childhood dream, it was always about cars and the track. The challenge of driving that perfect lap and hitting a perfect apex consistently. Yet to be attained.
I also realized that I won’t be driving at the last Rennsport event due to #61s early retirement. So I get to stay home and make the yard look great again…..
WAAIT a minute!!! Miss my friends, the track comradery and the social aspects of Rennsport? I started to realize that Rennsport is soo much more than just driving around in circles. Even though I won’t be driving, I will be hanging out and supporting Rennsporters, it is after all about the people and personalities that make up this group of very passionate Porsche enthusiasts.

As for #61, she is in Emerg for a diagnosis and heart replacement if needed. I’ll provide updates as they become available. The goal is to get her ready, better and faster for next spring. This will be a journey with hopefully few detours. So… 3.4 or 3.6 or bigger?

“Rennsport - Making childhood dreams come true for 40 years”.

Yes Rennsport will be celebrating it’s 40th next year!

Old 09-09-2016, 09:07 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey buddy.
Sorry to hear about the death of the motor. BUT, glad you will be there to hang out. I am looking forward to catching up with you and the whole crew. See ya Next Monday....now a moment of silence...........
Old 09-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Merci Seb,
Ton aide avec les pièces pour mon exhauste était exemplaire.
Je devrais avoir un diagnostique bientôt.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:26 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Originally Posted by Country911
Hey buddy.
Sorry to hear about the death of the motor. BUT, glad you will be there to hang out. I am looking forward to catching up with you and the whole crew. See ya Next Monday....now a moment of silence...........
LOL Sounds like a 'wake' maybe in order..it lived a good life on track as many Porsches should... It may yet be resurrected/reincarnated, time to go light some candles
Old 09-09-2016, 09:52 PM
911newb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the car this afternoon and my heart went out to you. Fingers crossed for the best possible outcome.

Glad to know you'll be tightening lug nuts two Mondays from now. Speaking of which, weren't you just accepted into the Rennspoon fold? Could there be a connection?

Tom
Old 09-09-2016, 11:29 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by 911newb
Glad to know you'll be tightening lug nuts two Mondays from now. Speaking of which, weren't you just accepted into the Rennspoon fold? Could there be a connection?

Tom
Stan, as I've shared already, all the best on the rebuild/next. It will work out I'm sure.

But as always - hands off my nuts. Ok, maybe a respectful cupping Monday evening, but no more.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:54 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt Lane

But as always - hands off my nuts. Ok, maybe a respectful cupping Monday evening, but no more.

We encourage our techline volenteers to torque the nuts, hope you don't mind strangers twisting them to 92 ft lbs... all for your safety and pleasure.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:02 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh no! Sorry, Stan
It happens, but still sucks
Old 09-10-2016, 10:49 AM
serpags
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never fun to read about stuff like this, but as you well said, "stuff happens". What matters most is that everyone on track was safe. Engines can be rebuilt/replaced...... can even be fun doing so .

Glad to know you will still be there next event .... well wishes for the build and getting ready for next season !

See you you next Monday !

Sergio
Old 09-10-2016, 06:45 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Ouch ! That really sucks! At least I'm not alone in getting my car flatbeded home from the track.
No consolation for you though. Hopefully it's something as simple as a blown oil cooler. If not, it's a good excuse for an engine upgrade. Maybe there's a silver lining !
Old 09-10-2016, 10:27 PM
fnel1771
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Stan

Soorry for the untimely butbi am sure expected event. I'm sure it will happened to me android then I will don't the 3.6 myself

Allows the best

Frank
Old 09-10-2016, 11:28 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Thanks everyone - have 2 used engines lined up if I need them, both from Rennsport family members.
Hey Frank last event I noticed you were on slicks - I have a new set of Pirelli slicks I will not be using, PM me if interested.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:23 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxster dude
Thanks everyone - have 2 used engines lined up if I need them, both from Rennsport family members.
Hey Frank last event I noticed you were on slicks - I have a new set of Pirelli slicks I will not be using, PM me if interested.
Chris R brother has an engine for sale I believe.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:59 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

you guys bed your pads on track?
sorry about your engine.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:08 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Yup BUT, this was not a Rennsport DE, there were only 3 cars on track that morning, so plenty of space to do this without putting fellow drivers at risk. I DON'T nor should anyone bed brakes with 25 fellow drivers on the track during a DE, bad things like reshaping of body panels can happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Title: #61 takes its last breath of the season