Notices

Fister mod done locally

Old 06-26-2016, 10:10 AM
911newb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fister mod done locally

It seems that two of the 'gotta have' mods for the 996 are a short shift kit and a Fister mod done to the mufflers. I don't love my shifter but I will take my time figuring out which one to get.

It turns out that the Fister mod was easy. There is no doubt that the work done by Darin Fister is superb but the headache and expense of shipping the mufflers to California was a bit daunting, On top of that my mufflers are pristine, given the low milage and no winters, so I had a bit of paranoia about getting the same mufflers back.

There is a professional welder close to Montreal called Jessberger Welding. I have used him in the past for welding aluminum dock sections and my stainless boat propellers. Those are both challenging materials to work with and the results were always great.

I decided that i really wanted to do this and that he was the guy to go with. I got the call last thursday and picked them up. I have to install them next week and will give some feedback on the sound but the pictures speak for themselves. The welds are superb. The 2" stainless tube that connects the muffler intake to the output comes from overstock from a dairy cow milking operation and it suits this purpose perfectly.
Attached Images    
Old 06-26-2016, 03:28 PM
serpags
Instructor

Tom ... Mods already huh ??? Nice
Old 06-26-2016, 10:39 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

I have a little exhaust project brewing for the 993.

Tom, we need to chat.

July LCMT?

Old 06-26-2016, 11:12 PM
911newb
Instructor

Mods are a slippery slope aren't they. I have to exercise restraint. Luckily I am too new to this to be able to perceive what a better, lower suspension could do for my car's handling. I am also too fresh to be able to benefit from pagid rs29 brake pads (or whatever the higher run group guys are using). I can,however, benefit greatly from an exhaust mod. Not from a performance enhancement but from a 'how wide is the grin on my face' perspective.

My driving is improving with each event so it is only a matter of time before I start pestering the guys in blue, black and red about what works best for my car. It's already begun to be honest. I asked Bob Rouleau about brake pads at breakfast. I hung around Matt Lane and friends for two days like an eager teenager hoping to pick up scraps of useful information about air pressures, how come my discs are blue?, why does my car smoke upon startup after a session on the track (AOS). etc., etc., etc. So far no one has told me to get lost so they must be a patient bunch.

Matt, I signed up for July. It's getting harder to imagine not coming. Not sure if I'll be able to convince my better half to come yet but she will eventually. I'll have the mufflers on by then and you can judge for yourself.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:18 PM
serpags
Instructor

Tom, will you be running Green run group in July or white ?
Old 06-26-2016, 11:36 PM
911newb
Instructor

Green. It will be my third event. I am in no rush to go to white. I have the privilege to have experienced highly skilled instructors in my passenger seat for FREE!!! The fact that these guys volunteer to sit beside unknown entities like us greenies and put their lives in our hands blows me away.

My current and hopefully future instructor is Ken Wagner. He pushes me to be better. I could never advance on my own as much as I could with a guy like him forcing me to improve.

Are you enjoying white?
Old 06-26-2016, 11:42 PM
serpags
Instructor

I could not agree with you more. Run group doesn't matter. Having said that, White was fun for last event. Keep in mind that even when you are running in white or higher, you can always invite your coach, as I did ( Chris ) to take a session with me. Its amazing how the slight corrections just make the ride feel sooooo much better.

We learn with every corner we take, every lap we complete, and every session we pit out from.

Have a peak at this... taken from a fellow PCA from New York riding a beauty GT3 991 ( Blue )

Old 06-26-2016, 11:47 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

If you need an X51 oil pan.. I have one on my shelf of many things
Old 06-27-2016, 12:00 AM
911newb
Instructor

Great video. I notice that he consistently took the first apex wide at carousel and tight on the second one. I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat. I think I did that a couple of times by accident and Ken wasn't too upset because he called it a legitimate, alternative way around the corner.

Gregster, sigh, that is one of the things on my list. That list has a way of growing doesn't it?
Old 06-27-2016, 03:54 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
If you need an X51 oil pan.. I have one on my shelf of many things
Yes - with the 996, get the deep sump oil kit. As you progress and become a bit quicker, you'll want this to help with oil scavenge issues. Think of it as preventative maintenance rather than a performance modification. Honestly Tom, I would suggest that you DONT do performance mods at this point. You need to get more comfortable and come to grips with the performance threshold of your car as is. Once you are good there, then you can mod - or just find your "Anastasia" ! Great also to hear that you are NOT focused on your wristnband color and advancing. You will when you are ready and running down isn't an issue as makes you learn a bit of track management. Keep the right attitude toward this and you will progress faster than you think. Will hopefully see you at the rest of the events for the remainder of the year (I'm also doing the Northeast and BMW Boston events in July !).
Old 06-27-2016, 04:23 PM
serpags
Instructor

I just booked a business trip July 4-5-6 ((((((((((
Old 06-27-2016, 10:09 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911newb
Great video. I notice that he consistently took the first apex wide at carousel and tight on the second one. I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat. I think I did that a couple of times by accident and Ken wasn't too upset because he called it a legitimate, alternative way around the corner.

Gregster, sigh, that is one of the things on my list. That list has a way of growing doesn't it?
I'd also include installation in the deal... I'm trying to clean up my shop a tad, it's been sitting on myself since last summer. I would start looking at getting a Motorsport AO/S as well. It's around 830$ locally, plus another 112$ for the new vac line and 4$ for some new bolts. Have you cleaned out the radiators yet? I would also considering getting mesh grills.. I will also suggest getting upgraded shifter cables as the plastic ones age they will fail, sucks when it happens. The Numeric ones aren't cheap but they are IMO the best on the market.

Last week I did a MantisRacing oil pan on a Cayman S and Direct Oil Feeder. Lovely piece of kit
Old 06-27-2016, 11:37 PM
911newb
Instructor

Erik, I assume from your reply that you will be there in July? I am signed up. It'll be great to catch up.

Gregster, Do you go to the DE's? If so we should get together and talk. My understanding about the x51 sump was that it only becomes necessary when R compound tires are introduced into the mix? (Higher g-forces etc.)

The motorsports AOS seems a bit extreme but if the smoking returns I may have to give it some serious consideration. It was much reduced last event. As per the patron saint of 996's (Saint Jake Raby) advice I left my oil level halfway between full and add and it seemed to improve things. I also checked for excessive vacuum at the oil filler cap and it seemed fine.

I may, of course, be wrong about stuff. My exes, and son point that out regularly! ;-)
Old 06-28-2016, 12:24 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911newb
Erik, I assume from your reply that you will be there in July? I am signed up. It'll be great to catch up.

Gregster, Do you go to the DE's? If so we should get together and talk. My understanding about the x51 sump was that it only becomes necessary when R compound tires are introduced into the mix? (Higher g-forces etc.)

The motorsports AOS seems a bit extreme but if the smoking returns I may have to give it some serious consideration. It was much reduced last event. As per the patron saint of 996's (Saint Jake Raby) advice I left my oil level halfway between full and add and it seemed to improve things. I also checked for excessive vacuum at the oil filler cap and it seemed fine.

I may, of course, be wrong about stuff. My exes, and son point that out regularly! ;-)
The pan is the same but it's the baffle that changes. It keeps more oil in place .. I also suggest 997 oil return tubes. You could add the return tubes before the AO/S, it will help a bit with the smoke. They're around 40$ each (997 107 16 00) Still requires dropping the pan though.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:25 AM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 101 Posts

Yes - will be at the Rennsport events for the rest of the year. Also doing 2 other events at LCMT this month. . I used to have a 996...listen to Gregster. You will want this stuff (deep sump and Motorsport AOS). Yes, going to be great to catch up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fister mod done locally