Notices

First DE event at LCMT

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 11:35 PM
911newb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First DE event at LCMT

I just wanted to say thanks to all who were a part of making my first DE event a wonderful experience.

I had the good fortune to be instructed by both Jonathan Katz and Rick Betterly. I was befriended by Steve and Mary Schindler from Vermont. They gave me shade under their tent and loads of friendly advice.

Thanks also to Eric with the GT3RS whose equated his vehicle purchase to a Russian mistress. (Both will kill you if you aren't careful). Eric also taught me about my target cold and hot tire pressures and some of the other magic that you experienced guys know about. Parked beside Eric was Scott (I think) who never seemed to stop cleaning his beautiful black 996. He is the guy who posted the cool pass and be passed video on youtube.

Meeting Bob and Chris Rouleau was great. Everyone I met seemed to have a perpetual smile on and be generous with their time and their advice. As much fun as the driving was the people were equally a part of what made my first event so much damn fun. Six days later and I am still smiling.

The crazy thing is that I get to do it all over again in three weeks. The only question is what took me so long?

Tom Hanna
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2016, 09:02 AM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts

Hey Tom - yeah, was great to meet you too and so glad that you had such a great experience. Loved your enthusiasm and desire to learn the right way, and the attitude you had... Will serve you well as you continue to drive and progress. You are going to need to be thinking about changing your screen name at some point as I'm thinking you won't be a newb for too long ! I don't think any of us boys from south of the border will be back for the June event, but I'll be there for all the rest and tacking on the Northeast event beginning of July and the BMW group from Boston's Bimmers Across the Border event. Variants of our little group will be at each and think the plan is for the entire crew to be together again in Sept. Regardless, love Tremblant and the Rennsport group - you are in VERY good hands here and confident that you will have the same experience from all of your events with them. Looking forward to staying in touch and seeing you at the track again soon. Erik
Old 05-30-2016, 09:42 PM
serpags
Instructor

Hi Tom ! We met at the line up on day one ( 2017 991 White ). I didn t get a chance to see you before the ended but from the sounds of it...... you had a blast ! Very cool. Glad to see all went well and that you enjoyed yourself.

See you in June !!!!

Sergio
Old 05-31-2016, 08:46 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey there Tom:
So, the hook is now in, three barbs deep.........you are now on the slippery slope....glad to see you are loving it! Great to meet you. You also met a great group of guys and the social part of the track days is a key ingredient to the overall experience. RSR is a fantastic group with great drivers.
Thankx for the compliments on "mt baby" n t the fastest, but certainly the cleanest!!!! BTW: I think it was Stan who posted the video. I can't seem to find it, could you send me the link, please?!
See you in the Fall.......have a great driving summer!!!!
Old 05-31-2016, 08:57 AM
911newb
Instructor

I look forward to a reunion with all my new US friends Erik. It was great meeting you guys. Hopefully some will be back before September.

I was feeling your pain on that first morning Sergio. Glad you got your tech issue worked out. Since the Americans won't be in attendance in June I was wondering who my next instructor might be. I guess with you coming there is one in particular that will be off the table, lol. Care to share him?

Also congratulations on getting bumped up a run group. I am very far from that happening. I'm not impatient though because I have so much to learn and I anticipate enjoying the process. Wait a minute! You don't need an instructor any more do you? ...............
Old 05-31-2016, 05:06 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Country911
Hey there Tom:
So, the hook is now in, three barbs deep.........you are now on the slippery slope....glad to see you are loving it! Great to meet you. You also met a great group of guys and the social part of the track days is a key ingredient to the overall experience. RSR is a fantastic group with great drivers.
Thankx for the compliments on "mt baby" n t the fastest, but certainly the cleanest!!!! BTW: I think it was Stan who posted the video. I can't seem to find it, could you send me the link, please?!
See you in the Fall.......have a great driving summer!!!!
Here you go Scott.. stay tuned for the "Derby" vid... currently in editing.

BTW Newb.... Welcome to Rennsport...great attitude... you will go far.. off the slippery slope... sure is fun
Old 05-31-2016, 07:37 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

All right, you two lovebirds - Get A Room!

Old 05-31-2016, 09:35 PM
911newb
Instructor

Thanks for the video Boxter Dude. While you guys have memorized every nuance of every corner it is all fresh to me. Having the ability to revisit a few of my 'trouble spots' on youtube will keep the track fresh in my mind until the June event. One thing for sure is that I won't be passing anyone on 'bridge' anytime soon.

It occurs to me that it would be very cool to have an instructional youtube lap of the course, a kind of course walkthrough. The soundtrack could sound like my instructor. " You turned in too soon Tom,....again" You need to look further down the track....again", "try not to be distracted by the really long line of cars behind you.....again". "Remember to ease on the gas this time, gentle on the brake, try to be smooth." Jonathan Katz and Rick Betterly had enormous patience with me. Someone, I think it was Jonathan, said "I bet that you go home and lie in bed thinking about these corners". I do. Is that normal? LOL
Old 06-01-2016, 09:47 AM
Boxster dude
Racer

Try this... lots of info on our site;

http://www.rennsport.ca/en/de-info/t...tremblant.html

PM me, if you wish I can share my crib notes...
Old 06-01-2016, 12:31 PM
Dino524
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

There's also this older Video from the archives. I found it useful when I was just beginning...

http://www.rennsport.ca/en/gallery/v...tremblant.html
Old 06-01-2016, 10:16 PM
911newb
Instructor

Thanks for the links. Funny thing is that I had read Bob's "How to drive at Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant" back in February and it meant little to me. Kind of like reading the student handbook. I got a little lost by the part about trail braking. (I still don't know what that is, lol)

Having now driven the track I can understand what I am reading. Very handy, thanks. It's like watching Boxter Dudes' video then versus now. Totally different having been around the same corners for two days.

I can't get the video link to work. I'll try to figure it out.

I registered for June, bought my fire extinguisher and bought some vinyl numbers today. Lots to learn.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:21 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Stan!!!!!!!!
I saw the"old" video from last year....thought Tom was referring to the "derby"....... Patiently waiting!!!

@Tom.......savor every moment.....this is an addiction...the best part each time is a new high....and it just keeps getting better and better.....
You'll do fine with your great attitude to learning this new hobby......keep up the good work!
Old 06-01-2016, 11:03 PM
serpags
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911newb
I look forward to a reunion with all my new US friends Erik. It was great meeting you guys. Hopefully some will be back before September.

I was feeling your pain on that first morning Sergio. Glad you got your tech issue worked out. Since the Americans won't be in attendance in June I was wondering who my next instructor might be. I guess with you coming there is one in particular that will be off the table, lol. Care to share him?

Also congratulations on getting bumped up a run group. I am very far from that happening. I'm not impatient though because I have so much to learn and I anticipate enjoying the process. Wait a minute! You don't need an instructor any more do you? ...............
Tom , the pain you were feeling was very real LOL, luckily Lauzon Porsche came to the rescue. I can tell you that it won't ever happen again !

And you are correct, white/solo means I can pimp out Chris LOL. He may just do a session with me just to make sure he made the right call but then again, he may not. You should request him asap as there are many green registered already.

I will be at the track with BMW Club June 11-12 practicing my learnings should you care to join ... and there is that slippery slope.

See you out there !
Old 06-01-2016, 11:09 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Too funny - I didn't even know there was a Rennsport forum and I practically live on Rennlist.
RSR really is good at DE. Your southern cousins are grateful we can be a part of them.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:08 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: First DE event at LCMT