Notices

48 HOURS AT SEBRING 2016

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 48 HOURS AT SEBRING 2016

On Saturday, I attended the annual 48 Hours at Sebring Race weekend.

The vast paddock was close to a kilometer long, with incredible motorhomes, and enormous mobile garages/transport trucks. Attended by racers from all over the eastern US, the event is an annual pilgrimage for serious PCA racers, all enjoying the practical aspects of their sport on this venerable racetrack.

Over 350 racers attended, with an astounding variety of cars. From an incredible hoard of 944's, Boxster/Cayman tech series, every of 911 variant, and Cup cars, there was devoted participation at all levels.

There were at least 48 Cup cars of different potency, including about 12 of the latest 991 type, most privately owned. At a cost of $280K per car, and about $350K per season for support, one fellow described the event as, 'A shameless Display of Wealth".

Generally, these cars are maintained by professional companies, who provide support and transport for these wealthy racers. Enormous rolling garages, equipped with all manner of tools, spares and lifts, provide a fully mobile facility to accomplish any contingency! There is a series of 12 -16 races at various tracks, and these racers merely appear at each venue, greeted by their pristine car, ready for a weekend of driving. It is truly an ‘Arrive and Drive’ experience.

I now view the Lauzon support truck from a much different perspective!

Being a technology geek, I found myself in Porsche Nirvana!
Roaming the enormous paddock I enjoyed easy, techno conversation with folks from all over the US, learning how they set up their cars, and how they enjoy their passion. I photographed many of the cars, and took video as well, though the editing process will be daunting.

At noon, I bumped into an ‘official’ and asked if he could take me around the track for a few parade laps. He suggested that I register, pay the $5 charitable donation, and follow him in my BMW for 4 laps. Thus, being first in line, with 24 guys behind me, it was not a difficult decision to make!

We rolled along at about 80 kph, and for one lap I drove one-handed, holding my iPhone on the dash recording the video. Fortunately, Bob R. or Mike D. were not present, or I would likely have had a discussion of serious ‘attitude adjustment’! I was surprised how well the BMW tracked, as I had never had it on track before.

Sebring is an old airfield, and like iCar, it is made up of well worn runways. The surface is composed of large concrete slabs, most of which have shifted and cracked. Poorly repaired with tar ‘caulking’, the surface has bumps and dips, much like a kitchen floor that is badly tiled, and it is easy to ‘stub one’s toe’ on the irregular pattern. There are long straights, a few fast sweepers, and the speeds carried can be substantial. Unlike the tight ‘blue shrubs’ of Watkins Glen, there are generous runoff areas.

Wandering in the paddock, I was suddenly aware that a race car was on my heels.
I heard an excited, “Joe, Joe, hey Joe!” Turning, I recognized Seb Juneau coming off track in his new Cayman, having just earned a P1!

What a small world!

Attached Images          
Old 02-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe

Great write up, many thanks for this.
GO Seb GO.... Bravo pour le P1 ainsi que la nouvelle Cayman

Quick Reply: 48 HOURS AT SEBRING 2016