Notices

DE insurance update

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 09:51 AM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This feels like it is going to become a big problem. I would guess that the majority of DE participants don't have dedicated track cars. If all of the insurance companies start denying street coverage just because the owner has admitted to DE days, it will probably kill the industry completely.

I wouldn't be surprised if Grand Bend, Toronto Motorsports Park, and Shannonville all shut down their track days.

I can understand why the insurance companies are scared, but that seems like a knee-jerk response. Wouldn't it just be similar to force the insured to sign a release stating that they understand they would not be covered when driving on the track? Or increase the premium to cover track days?

I'm waiting for the call from State Farm. If anyone knows of a reasonably-priced insurer that won't drop DE participants please post it here.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:22 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by cavlino
My State Farm Insurance agent who is also a long time friend of mine tried to help me out. He contacted the Facilities Insurance Group, they cover people that are high risk, you know like after you have been caught Stunt Driving or had all your points removed. They would cover a street car on the road even though it has mods like Roll Bar and Suspension updates that are not stock. As soon as he told them I would like to also take the car to DEs.... NO! So that's when I threw in the towel.
Yup - I too spoke with an insurance broker who checked with every single company on their roster (including non-standard / high-risk insurance) and the answer was always the same. Companes will insure high-risk drivers, they will insure cars with modifications (if/when fully documented prior to them issuing the policy), but they won't insure anyone driving on a track.

Not trying to be cheeky calling people that think they have track insurance through their regular auto insurance in Ontario naive... I'd sincerely like to find an insurance comany that is OK with it, and would gladly buy this "naive" person a botte of their favourite beverage of choice as a gesture of gratitude for pointing me (and presuambly others) in the right direction.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:38 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Nobody has to call up their insurance company and say "Hey, I'm tracking my car", so I don't think that one's regular street insurance is at risk. We have to accept that if we do any damage to our cars at the track that there will be collateral damage to our bank account. There is always track day insurance, albeit at a hefty price, if we are nervous.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:39 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cavlino
In case another Page is needed...
Send me your number...we'll conference call him!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:28 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NewArt
Nobody has to call up their insurance company and say "Hey, I'm tracking my car", so I don't think that one's regular street insurance is at risk. We have to accept that if we do any damage to our cars at the track that there will be collateral damage to our bank account. There is always track day insurance, albeit at a hefty price, if we are nervous.
Sorry you are missing the point, also the point is for Ontario it does not appear to be a problem in La Belle Prov.

The problem is not trying to get your street insurance to pay for damage that may occur at the track its to not lose street insurance coverage just because you admit you take your car to a DE event.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:29 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Ring Ring

Originally Posted by Dwane
Send me your number...we'll conference call him!
PM inbound
Old 02-19-2016, 09:50 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Okay, maybe not a problem here ( large question mark). But (in Ontario) why would you lose your coverage for street insurance unless you have called them up to tell them that you are tracking your car? How would they know this? None of their fricking business anyway since they're explicitly not covering that eventuality! Not sure what point I am missing.
��
Old 02-19-2016, 10:05 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Okay, maybe not a problem here ( large question mark).
��
Yet...

Carm, the exact reason for denial your insurance gave you, is what my insurance guy (who's my buddy) told me would be happening.
Race track= no insurance
Old 02-20-2016, 11:16 AM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, maybe not a problem here ( large question mark). But (in Ontario) why would you lose your coverage for street insurance unless you have called them up to tell them that you are tracking your car? How would they know this? None of their fricking business anyway since they're explicitly not covering that eventuality! Not sure what point I am missing.
��
There are comments at the beginning of this thread that explain the problem. State Farm has called several people asking specifically if they take their car to the track. If you answer yes they dropped coverage completely. If you lie and answer no, then you could be in deep trouble if they find out.
Obviously not all companies are calling people and asking, but the question may start coming up when you renew insurance.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:15 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kgoertz
There are comments at the beginning of this thread that explain the problem. State Farm has called several people asking specifically if they take their car to the track. If you answer yes they dropped coverage completely. If you lie and answer no, then you could be in deep trouble if they find out.
Obviously not all companies are calling people and asking, but the question may start coming up when you renew insurance.
Well that's the point I was missing. They call you up? That really sucks.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:08 PM
ibeaudoin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder if these guys could help

http://mooremcleaninsurancegroup.com...surance-canada
Old 02-21-2016, 11:35 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Not sure 'help' is the right word.

As in "I helped my cell mate enjoy warm unsolicited companionship, it was the least I could do."

Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2016, 01:42 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

after reading the "rules" I'd be worried that having one thing out of place such as an undotted "i" would be cause for claim denial
Old 02-22-2016, 02:43 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

While the track day insurance comanies will sell you trackday insurance (at a rought cost of 1% of the value of the vehicle per day, with a deductible equal to 10% of the value), it unfortunately does nothing in addressing the bigger problem nowadays of your road auto insurance company cancelling your policy simply because they know you're tracking the car.

To address NewArt's argument that it's "None of their fricking business anyway since they're explicitly not covering that eventuality!", that would be like saying "I only get pi$$ed drunk and (for arument's sake, legally) stoned on weekends, so why shouldn't I be allowed to fly a commercial aircraft during normal business hours?" The fact that you track your car - or any car, ever - says a fair bit about your personality and proclivities. You enjoy driving fast and are therefore more likely to drive aggressively or speed on the road. The argument does not take into account your (and your vehicle's) abilitiy and/or you obeying all traffic laws - it simply profiles you as a high-risk driver despite the fact that your're likely at a lower risk to get in a accident because of your additional training. It's profiling, plain and simple.

P.S. Insurance companies in Ontrario have also been known to send photographers to track events to collect data - it's a collaborative effort not unlike the Collision Reporting Centers in the GTA.

Last edited by 928gt; 02-22-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:35 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ993
Perhaps a Lawyer can step in here and provide updates.
TJ
I think this is the best advice so far.

It seems clear, based on the conversations with the insurers, that they're trying to avoid drivers involved in DE's. But it also seems evident that insurers commonly refuse coverage unlawfully. Multiple times on the same case.

So instead of repeatedly asking the insurers and their agents for their POV, why not ask an impartial source who can properly interpret the law objectively?

Quick Reply: DE insurance update