To tire or not to tire...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Maothecat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To tire or not to tire...

Looking for opinions here...

Enjoyed my first de at lcmt more than I could ever have imagined and am afraid I caught the bug.

Going back home, I immediately started to look at rims and tires. Did a lot of reading on this and other sites and there seems to be a debate on tires...

Should a green...super beginner even be looking at tires or should I simply try to get the most of my existing ones, get much better and then upgrade?

I have a 79 930. My tires a continentals.

Thoughts welcomed.

Regards

Js
Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

How old are the Conti's?
I went from a hankook with 280 tread wear down to a hankook with 200 tread wear. Best advice i got/can give.
First season running R compounds and I'm contemplating going back with a summer tire. Dunlop Direzza star spec until I can get them screaming them switching back to the R comps.
No R comps until you run in blue....and even then.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:33 PM
ibeaudoin
Racer

How old are you tires? More than 5 years, replace them, no question there.
Which conti do you have?
If they are fine, finish the season with them. You don't need crazy tires to learn the basics in Green.
If you are keeping the 16", you might have a hard time getting good tires. Luckily, the Dunlop Direzza ZII is now available in 16". ZI was not I believe, at least for my car.

Try to find a tire with close to 200 tread wear like Dwane said.
If you switch to 17", then you'll have choice. Don't overlook rim quality if you do that. That's another topic and a nice winter project.

And I can buy your rear 16" to help you fund the 17"
Old 06-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Maothecat
Advanced

Good one Ian...

I have no clue how old the contis are... Probably 5 yrs old. They came with the car when I bought it.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If they are 5 years old replace them but with non R compounds as Dwane mentioned. The primary reason for not going to R's too early is it will mask a lot of mistakes and your speeds will be much higher if you over do a mistake which compounds exponentially the required skill to save yourself and the car from harm.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:38 PM
vipola
Racer

Originally Posted by cavlino
If they are 5 years old replace them but with non R compounds as Dwane mentioned. The primary reason for not going to R's too early is it will mask a lot of mistakes and your speeds will be much higher if you over do a mistake which compounds exponentially the required skill to save yourself and the car from harm.
+1
Old 06-25-2013, 01:58 PM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If tires are old - 5yrs or olderlike everyone has said then replace with a very good quality tire. Any good summer only or even ultra high performance all seasom ( they talk very loud - helps with overdriving ) Take it from someone who was a "super beginner", as you put it, with a 930 do NOT concern yourself with R compound tires and learn how the car feels and handles - spend money on seat time and stay away from R compound tires. I actually parked the 930 for DE and used a 944 until a little skill was developed. that paid off in spades - but alas I now have a 3.2 Carrera

I wouldn't think of R's until yellow at least. But to each his own and advise is like a .... everyone has one.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:57 PM
vipola
Racer

Originally Posted by Maothecat
Good one Ian...

I have no clue how old the contis are... Probably 5 yrs old. They came with the car when I bought it.

Thanks for the advice.
Here is how to Check the age of the tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11
Old 06-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Maothecat
Advanced

Thats a good tool...they are older than 5 so I decided to get new ones...Yoko Advan Neova AD08. Getting them installed tomorrow. Thanks for all the feedback !
Old 06-25-2013, 05:52 PM
D rsa
Advanced

Very good advise from every one, get the feel of your car and get more event under your belt.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:40 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Today's modern extreme performance street tires like Ad08's offer the novice to intermediate driver all the performance they need in track applications. You don't need to step up to a full R comp tire to realize the benefits of the stickier compounds. The AD08 give you the benefit of track-tire like performance when hot, but still better wear and good wet weather grip. It was a good choice.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Maothecat
Advanced

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Today's modern extreme performance street tires like Ad08's offer the novice to intermediate driver all the performance they need in track applications. You don't need to step up to a full R comp tire to realize the benefits of the stickier compounds. The AD08 give you the benefit of track-tire like performance when hot, but still better wear and good wet weather grip. It was a good choice.
Thanks Damon !
Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 PM
pkjense
Racer

If the tires are old, CHANGE THEM! I have been bit by this. they really lose their grip. i put hankook Ventus rs-3's (?) on the 951 and it was night and day. The dry performance was so good I was worried about wet, but they are great there too. wear has been good as well. The best thing is I think I paid $157 a tire from tire rack. I used to run bridgestones on my 3.2 911 and they were good but about $500! 17" are a good choice for that car as well.

Quick Reply: To tire or not to tire...