Notices

958.1 CTTS - to tow or not to tow

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 11:25 AM
958TurboS
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 958.1 CTTS - to tow or not to tow

Hi all, we recently purchased a 2-axle travel trailer. GVWR is around 6,300 lbs. Well under the 7,700 lb tow rating for the CTTS w/ tow package.

It was about a 2 hour drive home from the dealer, and I was extremely impressed with how well the Cayenne towed the trailer trailer (TT). Since the Cayenne doesn't come with a brake controller, I used a blue tooth brake controller. I honestly could not even feel the load behind me on acceleration or on braking.

So while I know the Cayenne can tow this thing just fine, I keep wondering whether it should be towing it.

We know these vehicles are engineered for one thing; going fast around a track. The components on this vehicle are not made for towing. So how will they hold up over time? Of course I expect to accelerate wear on components, but will they hold up reasonably well? Or am I making a bad choice to tow with this instead of switching to a truck?

What do you think and what are your experiences?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2022, 10:32 AM
iRace323
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on my last 4+ years of towing with a TDi Touareg, I would have no problems with pulling a 6k trailer for 2 hours, especially in good weather. I would be very careful on a windy day as the Touareg (same chassis pretty much as the Cayenne) is not super heavy and has a short wheelbase considering the tow rating. If you do not have air suspension, I would expect the back to squat. This picks up the steer axle, so it exacerbates the issue.

Trailer brakes are a must and you will want to install a brake controller before picking up the trailer.

Quick Reply: 958.1 CTTS - to tow or not to tow