Notices

Court rules in favour of Tremblant residents

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 12:55 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Court rules in favour of Tremblant residents

https://tremblantexpress.com/en/circuit-mont-tremblant-une-victoire-pour-les-citoyens/

. The members of the class action suit against Circuit Mont-Tremblant win a victory in Quebec’s Superior Court. Here’s an English version of the report.

“We won! Not on every aspect, but on the essential ones, and in a thorough and balanced decision that will be very hard to contest on appeal,” reports law firm Trudel Johnston & Lespérance (TJL).

TJL continues its report as follows.

– The racetrack is a nuisance as concerns the “special activities” and “test days” (i.e. activities to which no noise limit applies pursuant to the municipal by-law) that generate noise louder than 55 decibels (with a 3 decibel tolerance) – in other words, all of these activities.

According to the criteria set by Justice Mainville, approximately 300 residences are exposed to these noise levels – assuming two persons on average per residence, this represents potentially 600 residents who will be compensated.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:56 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

55 dB? I guess no one can mow their lawn anymore? Or rum most household appliances for that matter.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:03 AM
DDzPorsche
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

This reminds me of the people who purchase a home near pre-existing railroad tracks or an airport and then complain about the noise.

I wonder how long it will be before CTMP is surrounded by sub divisions with the inevitable complaints?
Old 04-01-2020, 11:55 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DDzPorsche
This reminds me of the people who purchase a home near pre-existing railroad tracks or an airport and then complain about the noise.

I wonder how long it will be before CTMP is surrounded by sub divisions with the inevitable complaints?
I read most of the ruling. its very interesting
Old 04-01-2020, 05:26 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

IMPORTANT - Le Circuit will remain open for muffled events like DE according to track management. Racing is a different and noisier matter it seems. I suspect that matter will go to appeal since the 55 dB limit can be shown to be unrealistic. I bet snow cannons make a lot more noise that that - amongst other things like motorboats on the lakes.

The precedent set by this case could have huge impacts - no more F1 for example since some people inSt Lambert have complained about the noise for years - same witht he fireworks festival, Osheaga etc. Basically overturning the rights of municipalities to zone certain areas for specific types of activities. Meantime, I hope someone files an action against the ski-hills for noise caused by snow cannons. The threat to shut down the ski hills might give those slime ***** who started the suit hoping top increase the value of homes built so close to the track - Jim Iredale for instance who built homes a few hundred feet from turns 1-2--3. He was the contractor who built a number of structures for the track in case you were wondering. AND the lawyer who bought land a few years ago along the river - between corners 7 and 8 who was the leader of the legal action. It would be nice to see his land values go the wrong way considering the track was there more than 25 years before he bought. AND the town who rezoned land near the track for residential to increase their tax revenue.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:34 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Do I smell and April Fool?
Old 04-02-2020, 02:39 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT

Do I smell and April Fool?
https://motorillustrated.com/circuit...uisance/45688/

Old 04-02-2020, 03:08 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Damn. Hoping it was the joke that it sounds like.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:29 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

F1 on ile Ste Hélène isnt the big issue but it's rather all the music festivals that go on pretty much all summer. That's been the recent long running battle especially in the last few yearso. There was a ruling somewhere that the two races allowed to be held at CGV are grandfathered with sound and don't need the waiver. Saint Lambert lost an Appeal to enforce an injunction for the festival's.l Coderre was being a jackass with Saint Lambert but the current admin has been much more caring. The car racing is for the most part done by 5pm... The concerts can run to 11-11:30pm....

The 55db limit the useless WHO came up with as they claim it can disturb sleep...
Old 04-03-2020, 10:06 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 04-06-2020, 06:59 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts

55db? I think the trains coming in to Gare Centrale is lounder than that. Good lord.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:20 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Yeah ,that ruling sucks !
So that means that a rich *** guy living on a big property will be able to sue his neighbor for using his lawn tractor over 55 db on the weekend while he is taking a nap
in his backyard ... not there yet but ?
Anyhow , i’ll admit that some of the GT cars are very loud on race weekends , mainly an Aston that you can hear howling all around the track coming out of turn 8 , as well as some of the Atlantic cars , but if everybody’s on the same level
with somewhat muffled cars it will calm things down a bit. Everything is possible as i have a friend who ran his Cup car and passed sound , mind you the muffler setup was friggin ugly and probably weighed 50 lbs , but we certainly don’t want to lose access to such a beautiful track !

Cheers
Phil

Quick Reply: Court rules in favour of Tremblant residents