Notices

944 race car (to be)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 09:02 PM
Neufcatcat
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 944 race car (to be)

Currently in the process of getting a 944 from street to track (944 Canada Challenge. Who should l contact for safety questions? IE: Roll Cage requirement, seats, etc..) ?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2018, 10:31 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Andrew at WeTune/AGM Performance has prepared a bunch of these, as has Simon at Remise Classique.

Both very highly regarded - depending on your location, give one of them a call.

Cheers

Matt
Old 11-01-2018, 11:21 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Unless I've misunderstood your request, this is the starting point, n'est pas? http://44cup.com/rules
Old 11-01-2018, 11:33 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

I would strongly suggest you look for a starter car that is already track prepped ...
If you look at the expense required just to cage a car ,you're into it for close to 4K, and then there's a racing seat , harnesses , suit,gloves , shoes,fire system, etc, you're already into another 4-5 K easy.

There are lots of decent prepared cars that come up in the classifieds, although more are from the US , but it's pretty simple to bring one into Canada.
Nothing is cheap when it comes to racing , even at the lower levels !
Old 11-01-2018, 12:53 PM
Neufcatcat
Advanced

Originally Posted by wildcat077
I would strongly suggest you look for a starter car that is already track prepped ...
If you look at the expense required just to cage a car ,you're into it for close to 4K, and then there's a racing seat , harnesses , suit,gloves , shoes,fire system, etc, you're already into another 4-5 K easy.

There are lots of decent prepared cars that come up in the classifieds, although more are from the US , but it's pretty simple to bring one into Canada.
Nothing is cheap when it comes to racing , even at the lower levels !
l know!!!(it is my second go at racing...) But the thing is that l want to keep it on the street too ! Both for marketing reason and also for tune-up issues. It was a major pain/time/money sucker when l had to go and tune my car for just a couple of laps in order to have it race ready. (It was an MKll VW with about 400hp on it, so it was as reliable than an municipal blue collar worker..)
Old 11-01-2018, 01:44 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Problem is , you need a full cage to go racing and then it's no longer legal for street use ... and you will also have the weight penalty of lights,flashers, windows, etc ...
For a 944 , regardless if it's Challenge Canada or PCA , the weight limit is 2600 lbs with driver , you want to be as close to that number as possible, whereas a street legal
car will be nowhere near that !

Just sayin ...
Old 11-01-2018, 01:55 PM
Neufcatcat
Advanced

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Problem is , you need a full cage to go racing and then it's no longer legal for street use ... and you will also have the weight penalty of lights,flashers, windows, etc ...
For a 944 , regardless if it's Challenge Canada or PCA , the weight limit is 2600 lbs with driver , you want to be as close to that number as possible, whereas a street legal
car will be nowhere near that !

Just sayin ...
That is why I was contemplating at an Autopower bolt-on cage. I want to know what are the requirement for the base plate (size and thickness of the steel). Anyone knows the answer to this one?
Old 11-01-2018, 05:23 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Neufcatcat

That is why I was contemplating at an Autopower bolt-on cage. I want to know what are the requirement for the base plate (size and thickness of the steel). Anyone knows the answer to this one?
I’ve got a bolt in cage in my car....you can try it if you like....if i were to do it again, I’d go with a weld in cage.(not nearly enough room with a bolt in unless you are built like a jockey)
Old 11-01-2018, 07:07 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I know of a 944 that is prepped for racing that may be avail. in TO. pm if interested.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:11 PM
Neufcatcat
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dwane

I’ve got a bolt in cage in my car....you can try it if you like....if i were to do it again, I’d go with a weld in cage.(not nearly enough room with a bolt in unless you are built like a jockey)
Dwayne, that is a very good point your bring to the discussion . Build more like (Which I still am) a hockey player (6’1” 200ish lbs). I sure will take this into consideration.

thx
Old 11-01-2018, 08:28 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Dwayne, that is a very good point your bring to the discussion . Build more like (Which I still am) a hockey player (6’1” 200ish lbs). I sure will take this into consideration.

thx
I’m just shy of 6’ and 185...you won’t like the bolt in cage!
If you see Andrew for info, ask him to try my car, it’s at his shop...Like Matt said, see Andrew or Simon. If you want to chat I’ll get you my number.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:34 PM
Neufcatcat
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dwane

I’m just shy of 6’ and 185...you won’t like the bolt in cage!
If you see Andrew for info, ask him to try my car, it’s at his shop...Like Matt said, see Andrew or Simon. If you want to chat I’ll get you my number.
Is Andrew’s shop on Côté-De-Liesse in MTL with multiple race 944 in the windows? I went to see Simon last week-end (heck , he is a neighbor of mine ...literally ..) and he was very helpful . I just want to have my **** straight before starting to process .

thx
Old 11-01-2018, 09:30 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Is Andrew’s shop on Côté-De-Liesse in MTL with multiple race 944 in the windows? I went to see Simon last week-end (heck , he is a neighbor of mine ...literally ..) and he was very helpful . I just want to have my **** straight before starting to process .

thx
Andrew’s shop is at 1900 Norman in Lachine
Old 11-01-2018, 10:31 PM
Neufcatcat
Advanced

Noted! 👍

THX
Old 11-02-2018, 07:15 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

For what it’s worth, Simon prepares the best and most competitive cars in the Challenge series, he also rents a ride with full track support for the weekend, all you need is your driving gear and race licence , although it’s probably expensive but you get to drive a top notch car.
That could be an option for you !

Quick Reply: 944 race car (to be)