Notices

Have a friend who is looking to buy a Boxster.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 06:12 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Have a friend who is looking to buy a Boxster.

Wanted in good shape, mechanically sound. What's out there?
Old 08-14-2018, 10:08 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

There’s 20 years of Boxsters out there. Any idea which iteration and in what price range? I love my somewhat modded ‘04. Not too fancy, a classic roadster that you can toss around on the track without taking out a second mortgage!
Old 08-15-2018, 09:14 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a 05 boxster s for sale
Old 08-22-2018, 02:50 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

He says a maximum of $15,000. I suggested buying for a bit less than that and keeping a few thousands in the bank for the inevitable unexpected expenses. Any generation would be fine for the right car.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:24 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

A lot of Boxsters are American cars. Both 986 cars that I have owned come from south of the border. I suggest checking out the "986forum" where you can find numerous 1st gen Boxsters owned by enthusiasts both north and south of the border. Importing is a piece of cake if you calculate in the exchange/duty/tax.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:57 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Well my friend has put off buying till next year... so I ended up buying this one for myself.

It was the cheapest Boxster that I saw in Canada over the last couple of weeks and went from $7000 to $6500 while I was thinking about it! It is a 2000 5 speed with 135,000KM. On the 50 kilometer run home it ran really nicely, no strange noises, clutch, brakes, transmission and engine all seem fine. As usual I did not get a PPI. Tomorrow I will change the oil and carefully inspect the filter. I hope it has the double row IMS bearing but it seems that it is difficult to know without disassemble because they were changing over from double to single row in 2000 and 2001., I haven't yet had a chance to look at the engine serial number to at least get an idea. The clutch and brakes were supposedly done 4 years ago and it has supposedly only done a few thousand kilometers since. No records or documentation of course. This winter I will probable drop the transmission to inspect the clutch and change the IMSB.
Totally different experience form my 924S and 928.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:16 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Hey there,
Looking forward to seeing this one in person!
Old 09-10-2018, 10:48 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NewArt
Hey there,
Looking forward to seeing this one in person!
I would be happy for you to have a look at it, since I know nothing about Boxsters, an experienced users opinion would be appreciated.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:31 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

... the ongoing sage. My friend fell in love with my green 986 Boxster so I agreed to sell it to him. I have been working on getting the maintenance up to date on it and fixing a lot of little problems. But I realised that I also really like the Boxster... so looking on Kijiji I found this one for sale at a bargain price, and ended up buying it.

It is also a 2000. The ad said that there was an overheating problem, ever since the water pump was changed. I did some research and thought perhaps he just didn't know how to bleed the system. I spent a couple of hours going over it and got it running (hadn't been started for several months and hadn't been driven in about 2 years). The coolant reservoir was empty so I put in about 6 liters of ionized water to fill it. No leaks visible. ?? Decided to take a chance, since the price I paid was a couple of thousand dollars under the going price. I picked up the car today and drove it home, after a difficult startup it ran well and the temperature stayed right in the middle all the way home. Once here I checked the reservoir again and had to add another couple of liters of water! So I figure the guy filled the reservoir after changing the water pump and drove off without bleeding or refilling and then couldn't understand why it overheated. The previous owner claimed that he stopped the engine as soon as he saw it was starting to overheat and didn't drive it with the temperature too high.
So I may have got a great deal if the engine continues to run like it does now. The car has 185,000 km vs 135,000 for the green one and the difference shows, it is not as responsive, second gear complains slightly if I shift too fast... but the interior is in very good shape.
The other thing I found out at the last minute was that is a salvage title, accident on the front left corner. I thought about backing out, but decided to go ahead. The drive home didn't uncover any glaring faults.
This car seems to have a longer options list... but the hood was replaced so the sticker is gone, but it has electric seats and speakers in the rear. The paint is good, likely because it was repainted about 4 years ago when the accident damage was repaired, and I like the colour.

Now I get to redo all the maintenance that I just completed on the green car.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:50 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Yep. Bleeding the coolant systems on those cars and 996s requires a vacuum bleeder but also requires ALL the coolant to be drained out. You can also raise the back of the car so the air out the rad makes it way out. Look into this for the 2nd gear issue http://www.gboxweb.com/detent.html

If you wish to upgrade the suspension for cheap I suggest this
​​​​​​http://www.carnewal.com/products/986...e-for-2.5-2.7L

Old 10-20-2018, 11:29 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Grant, I have an Airlift vacuum bleeder you can borrow if you like.

Quick Reply: Have a friend who is looking to buy a Boxster.