Notices

Helmets

Old 03-08-2018, 05:55 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Helmets

Bonjour les amis Rennsport, les journées de piste approchent rapidement, n’oublier pas que PCA et la majorité des clubs de conduite, exige l’utilisation des casques qui ont les certifications suivantes:
- Fondation SNELL: SA2010 or SA2015 (recommandé) ou
- British Standards Institute (BSI): BS6658-85 type A/FR ou
- Fondation SFI Inc.: SFI 31.1A

Cette règle est applicable dans l’ensemble des évènements PCA. Les Casques respectent les certifications SNELL 2015 sont disponibles chez les détaillants. Le casque en photo n’est pas acceptable.
N'hésitez pas nous contacter si vous avez des questions au DrivingEvents@Rennsport.ca

Hey Rennsporters, track days will be upon use shortly, don’t forget PCA and most driving clubs, require the following helmet certifications;
- SNELL: SA2010 or SA2015 (recommended) or
- British Standards Institute (BSI): BS6658-85 type A/FR or
- Fondation SFI Inc.: SFI 31.1A

This rule is applicable to all PCA regional driving events. Your new SA2015 helmet is available at your favorite retailer. FYI this helmet is NOT acceptable

If you have any questions, please contact us at DrivingEvents@Rennsport.ca
Old 03-08-2018, 09:08 PM
Michel 4S
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Est-ce que les SNELL M2015 sont acceptés?
Old 03-09-2018, 10:26 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Hi Michel, good question. Let's let Stan-O confirm, but I do believe M spec Snell used to qualify. These are a fair bit less expensive, and not a bad choice if you're starting out and watching the budget (esp. if you are not worried about checking regulations in other regions, which of course may vary).

Best,

Matt
Old 03-10-2018, 04:03 PM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michel 4S
Est-ce que les SNELL M2015 sont acceptés?
Ne devrait pas et dans tous les cas je ne le recommande pas.

HELMET RATINGS...WHAT DO THEY MEAN?

Auto racing helmets are rated by the Snell Foundation as either SA, M, or K rated...

Snell SA Rated Helmets:
Snell "SA" (Sports Application) rated professional helmets are designed for auto racing and provide extreme impact resistance and higher fire protection.

Snell M Rated Helmets:
Snell "M" (Motorcycle) rated helmets are designed for motorcycling and other motorsports. They offer slightly less protection than SA rated helmets.

Snell K Rated Helmets:
Snell "K" (Karting) rated helmets are designed for Karting applications. They are subjected to the same test standards as SA helmets except the do not require a fire retardant interior.

What are the key differences between SA and M Rated Helmets:
- SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
- SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
- SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets aren't street legal).
Old 03-10-2018, 11:36 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyril
Ne devrait pas et dans tous les cas je ne le recommande pas.

HELMET RATINGS...WHAT DO THEY MEAN?

Auto racing helmets are rated by the Snell Foundation as either SA, M, or K rated...

Snell SA Rated Helmets:
Snell "SA" (Sports Application) rated professional helmets are designed for auto racing and provide extreme impact resistance and higher fire protection.

Snell M Rated Helmets:
Snell "M" (Motorcycle) rated helmets are designed for motorcycling and other motorsports. They offer slightly less protection than SA rated helmets.

Snell K Rated Helmets:
Snell "K" (Karting) rated helmets are designed for Karting applications. They are subjected to the same test standards as SA helmets except the do not require a fire retardant interior.

What are the key differences between SA and M Rated Helmets:
- SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
- SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
- SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets aren't street legal).

Hi Cyril, looking forward to seeing you at the track soon!

Just a slight counterpoint for consideration. Snell M were accepted at ostensibly all PCA DE's through last season. If something has changed with PCA for 2018, then that's fine, they'll let us know and tell us why.

As for the points you extracted above, consider the original question and the intended purpose in context - someone looking to buy a helmet to attend DE's in a region that permits driving with short sleeves and open face helmets. I am assuming we are talking street cars with stock 3 point belts and airbags:

Flammability - you have bigger problems than that in the circumstances above.
Roll bar impact - N/A in a street car with airbags. And nothing near like crashing a bike for that matter.
Field of vision - advantage to M spec, unless of course you choose to run open-face (perhaps inadvisable) or with your visor open (somewhat less inadvisable, but everyone does it).

I am just putting myself back in the shoes of an initial DE participant. I remember first showing up in a well-used 944 with a borrowed helmet. If the hobby sticks, then yes, more safety equipment is warranted, and it's more important than a different SNELL spec.

Respectfully,

Matt
Old 03-11-2018, 11:22 PM
Michel 4S
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information and comments. Greatly appreciated.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:47 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm with Matt. In fact, is it still the case that fire extinguishers are not required for a beginner's first DE?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:35 PM
Dino524
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
I'm with Matt. In fact, is it still the case that fire extinguishers are not required for a beginner's first DE?
Fire extinguishers are not mandatory. Found out last year. I always assumed they were...
Old 03-12-2018, 02:49 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 101 Posts

Hello Gentlemen !

Looking forward to seeing you all and beginning the season. I certainly have the itch to get on track.

My understanding from when I started a few years ago was that:
  • Helmets needed to be SA rated and not M (in fact, I had to go to NJ to get an SA rated helmet as there were no auto race shops in my city)
  • Fire extinguishers were not required until getting promoted to solo
  • Non-synthetic material pants and long sleeves were required (hence my initially wearing button down Oxford shirts !)
  • Closed toe shoes

That being said, I have run with other regions that have allowed M helmets, no extinguishers, shorts and short sleeve shirts, synthetic materials, etc. I havent seen anyone forming up on grid in Crocs yet...

Love that helmet Stan !
Old 03-12-2018, 03:53 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's the 2017 RSR tech form:

http://rennsport.ca/images/Documents/rsr-techforme.pdf

Note:
FIRE EXTINGUISHER - securely metal-to-metal mounted within reach of driver. Minimum 2.5 pound BC or ABC, fully charged. This requirement is waived for first time students for their first Driver’s Ed event only.

HELMET(S) - Snell Foundation 2010 rated "M" or "SA“
Old 03-12-2018, 08:26 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 101 Posts

Just looking at this thread again - I dont even want to know what Stan was looking at when he found that picture....
Old 03-12-2018, 09:23 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

So true!

Stan-O, you started the damn thread, please come back and take us back into the light!

M
Old 03-12-2018, 11:23 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Hi Cyril, looking forward to seeing you at the track soon!

Just a slight counterpoint for consideration. Snell M were accepted at ostensibly all PCA DE's through last season. If something has changed with PCA for 2018, then that's fine, they'll let us know and tell us why.

As for the points you extracted above, consider the original question and the intended purpose in context - someone looking to buy a helmet to attend DE's in a region that permits driving with short sleeves and open face helmets. I am assuming we are talking street cars with stock 3 point belts and airbags:

Flammability - you have bigger problems than that in the circumstances above.
Roll bar impact - N/A in a street car with airbags. And nothing near like crashing a bike for that matter.
Field of vision - advantage to M spec, unless of course you choose to run open-face (perhaps inadvisable) or with your visor open (somewhat less inadvisable, but everyone does it).

I am just putting myself back in the shoes of an initial DE participant. I remember first showing up in a well-used 944 with a borrowed helmet. If the hobby sticks, then yes, more safety equipment is warranted, and it's more important than a different SNELL spec.

Respectfully,

Matt
So, Matt - did your initial enthusiasm stick 😉
I'd love to have seen you at your first event.
I am having a weird late winter, too busy to even contemplate track events, as Joanie and I are selling the house and moving to our home in Maine this spring, plus way more client work than planned. Moving out of a 4K square foot house into an already furnished 1500 square foot house with no basement is proving to be challenging. Very first world problems.
I will miss RSR in May, with first event likely to be Blues Festival in July with NER. But I should get back to my regular over-indulgence in track fun after that.
Will miss my Canadian friends in the meantime!
Old 03-13-2018, 04:37 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Sorry for dropping off the planet, life keeps getting in the way. No need to bring you guys back into the light, there is only a bit of light fog surrounding my post.
So lots of good input here. Thank you Cyril and others for the detailed feedback. Rennsport does permit the use of an SA approved helmet, BUT we highly recommend an SA approved helmet and suggest you go with a closed face. Air bags are not friendly to what is inside open face helmets. Yes ,they maybe as low as $400 for a closed face but IMO, your head is worth more than the cost, unless your better half says otherwise. SM helmets like the one below are NOT acceptable. Donc, Michel un casque SA sera mieux.
Fire extinguishers...... Rennsport nolonger mandates them but recommends them. If you plan on attending events in other regions they may require an extinguisher, so the decision is up to you. I have one and it is great for putting out those large cigars that Scott K provides. Take note will be updating the 2018 Tech Inspection form to reflect this.
BTW Rick, good luck and Yaa, you vill be missed!

NOOO not all SM helmets are appropriate
Old 03-13-2018, 04:41 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Originally Posted by ELange0322
Just looking at this thread again - I dont even want to know what Stan was looking at when he found that picture....
I was thinking of what Anastasia would want you to wear, when she was trying to get at you for being soo rough with her, she is such as gentle mistress.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Helmets