Notices

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:20 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxster dude
I was thinking of what Anastasia would want you to wear, when she was trying to get at you for being soo rough with her, she is such as gentle mistress.
You recall part of how she got her name was the point "At times, actively trying to kill me..."

Maybe she does like a gentle spank, but do understanding to apply caution and discretion.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:51 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Rennsport does permit the use of an SA approved helmet, BUT we highly recommend an SA approved helmet and suggest you go with a closed face.
Hi Stan, not looking to belabour or want to 'clarify' a clarification - but in your post I believe you meant to say "Rennsport does permit the use of a SNELL M approved helmet, BUT..."

Cheers

Matt
Old 03-14-2018, 12:02 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Hi Cyril, looking forward to seeing you at the track soon!

Just a slight counterpoint for consideration. Snell M were accepted at ostensibly all PCA DE's through last season. If something has changed with PCA for 2018, then that's fine, they'll let us know and tell us why.

As for the points you extracted above, consider the original question and the intended purpose in context - someone looking to buy a helmet to attend DE's in a region that permits driving with short sleeves and open face helmets. I am assuming we are talking street cars with stock 3 point belts and airbags:

Flammability - you have bigger problems than that in the circumstances above.
Roll bar impact - N/A in a street car with airbags. And nothing near like crashing a bike for that matter.
Field of vision - advantage to M spec, unless of course you choose to run open-face (perhaps inadvisable) or with your visor open (somewhat less inadvisable, but everyone does it).

I am just putting myself back in the shoes of an initial DE participant. I remember first showing up in a well-used 944 with a borrowed helmet. If the hobby sticks, then yes, more safety equipment is warranted, and it's more important than a different SNELL spec.

Respectfully,

Matt
Well said sir
Old 03-14-2018, 08:24 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ELange0322
You recall part of how she got her name was the point "At times, actively trying to kill me..."

Maybe she does like a gentle spank, but do understanding to apply caution and discretion.
But no tank slapping, ok?
Old 03-14-2018, 11:45 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Now that that’s solved, can we start the windows up vs. down discussion?
Old 03-15-2018, 02:03 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Hi Stan, not looking to belabour or want to 'clarify' a clarification - but in your post I believe you meant to say "Rennsport does permit the use of a SNELL M approved helmet, BUT..."

Cheers

Matt
You are correct sir, and win the prize for catching the typo. One free G&T after 5pm for you!
Old 03-16-2018, 07:52 PM
911newb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Derek, There are now 24 pages of windows up vs windows down in the Racing and DE forum. It's a thread that won't die. Hope to see you back at LCMT this summer or are us Rennsporters going to have to go to Mosport to see you?

Tom
Old 03-17-2018, 12:29 AM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

You are correct sir, and win the prize for catching the typo. One free G&T after 5pm for you!
Had to word hard for this free G&T!!!

Old 03-17-2018, 02:40 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 911newb
Derek, There are now 24 pages of windows up vs windows down in the Racing and DE forum. It's a thread that won't die. Hope to see you back at LCMT this summer or are us Rennsporters going to have to go to Mosport to see you?

Tom
That's precisely why I brought it up!

Doing my best to schedule in LCMT this year! I'll see you at Mosport, as well.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:52 PM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm enrolled in the IDS this year... just confirming that I don't need a helmet for this correct?
Old 03-17-2018, 10:53 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Rennsport Region ground school? Correct, no helmet required.

Cheers

Matt
Old 03-17-2018, 11:21 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

I went helmet shopping today at Perry. Sadly I can't make up my mind with what I want, the price difference between something lets say mid pack and slightly better isn't much
Old 03-18-2018, 10:03 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
I went helmet shopping today at Perry. Sadly I can't make up my mind with what I want, the price difference between something lets say mid pack and slightly better isn't much

I did the same search last summer at Perry when I needed a "SA" helmet with hans hooks. I ended up going with the "naked" Stilo, I loved the fit of the Stilo but couldn't justify the extra cost of a carbon version for myself and I could always buy electronic later if I really want them. If price is no option or you plan to instruct get the electronics. Carl gave me a very fair price that was comparable to any prices I saw in the US after factoring in the exchange rate.

Mark
Old 03-18-2018, 11:58 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

I liked that pretty much all helmets now come pre drilled for HANS. In the price range I was looking at 500-700$ the HJC fit the best with glasses on. Though I'd prefer to get something that was lighter, as with my previous HJC it feels just a tad too heavy but the quality/price was right.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:36 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I got the naked Stilo for C$800 and it’s pretty light. Pricey but fit great. Viewing from an SA helmet is smaller than an M helmet but I adjusted pretty quickly.

Quick Reply: Helmets