Notices

Suntek vs Xpel which should i use on my 2018 GT3?

Old 12-30-2017, 03:40 AM
Gt3 .2
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suntek vs Xpel which should i use on my 2018 GT3?

Can anyone tell me if going with Suntek ultra film on my 991.2 GT3 is ok or should I go with XPEL? The car is white. Appreciate any feedback
Old 12-30-2017, 08:40 AM
Dino524
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I just wrapped mine with expel. My car is white and it looks fantastic. From what I read on line, you can't go wrong with either product. It's the installer that counts.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:08 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino524
I just wrapped mine with expel. My car is white and it looks fantastic. From what I read on line, you can't go wrong with either product. It's the installer that counts.
pls pm me your installer details
thx
Old 12-30-2017, 02:44 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Depends more on the installer's ability IMO.

Both Suntech and Expel are first rate products.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:53 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

Good installer and Suntek.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:25 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 697 Likes on 366 Posts

As many have already mentioned, both films are great. Installer is key.

Finding a great installer is easier than before because of great forums like this. I use to recommend going to manufacturer website to find the installer, and perhaps cross-referencing suntek/xpel/3M and maybe a nano coating like CQuartz Finest or Modesta...but as of recent, xpel and suntek installer finder is more focused on volume of film purchases, as opposed to quality of installer...the two aren’t always result of installer skill.

But, CAurtz and Modesta, for example, do an amazing job of vetting their installers, so, it’s more based on skill and customer service, than volume of product purchases from manufacturer. I feel that has the consumer best interest in mind.

Also find installer that that specializes in Porsche’s...even better if They’ve done your model.

I’ll add 3M Pro v.4 to the mix because all three brands will have the usual 10 year warranty. Only 3M offers an optional 5-year warranty that will protect against rock chips penetrating the film. If it does, you get a free repaint if that panel up to $3500 per incident.

Suntek’s new film, PPF Ultra, has a new hydrophobic coating.

XPEL is the industry standard and offers a great product, excellent patterns, and great customer service.

so, find a great installer who happens to carry all three brands, and does nano coating, and you’ll find the perfect situation that will fit YOUR needs.

because, when you think about it, the three films mentioned, non of them are the BEST for all...you have to find the best for YOU and your needs/wants.

hope that helps
Old 01-07-2018, 02:55 PM
FifthGear
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for it coming down to the installer.

I had most of my car covered with SunTek and couldn't be happier. No one knows it's on, and every time I wash it I find out what it's saved me from.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:05 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 42 Posts

I had mine wrapped with Xpel because of the ten-year warranty. I only drive it in nice weather, always garage it, and store it covered over the winter. I hope it lasts a lot longer.

But, I agree, it is all about the installer and the paint correction done before the installation. Even a brand new GT3 will need some paint correction before installing the film.

I am not completely satisfied with the seams the installer put low on the front air dam. He put a seam across every vertical painted surface, ie: the spaces between the center and side air intake vents. He installed one piece of film coming down from the hood halfway down the air inlets and another piece seamed in going the rest of the way down to the lip.

I only had the stone chip areas wrapped on the quarter panels and I quickly got a couple of chips above the film. This area will catch rocks and your paint will chip! Were I to do it again, I would have the full quarter panels wrapped and install a second layer for the stone chip protection area.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:32 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Does any one knows the price difference between Suntek Ultra and normal Suntek film for full PPF in a 911?

Is it 30% more expensive the Ultra PPF than normal?
Old 07-14-2018, 10:17 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Subscribed, and a bump. I've got two local installers that I'm looking to use and one uses XPEL and the other Suntek.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:58 AM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 42 Posts
Exclamation Quality installation is crucial to satisfaction

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Subscribed, and a bump. I've got two local installers that I'm looking to use and one uses XPEL and the other Suntek.
I had XPEL installed on mine, but learned that the difference in installers is much more important that the difference in films. Check the installers' work carefully and try to get references from a year ago or more. I loved my installation until I had a few months to wash and wax the car. After those close encounters, I began to see the defects in the installation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suntek vs Xpel which should i use on my 2018 GT3?